The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit Buying PLEASE HELP! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I've been using a lion-head. They're very furry and look much bigger than they actually are, which means they can fit in small places but look HUGE when they're produced. Only drawback is the shedding. Mine sheds like mad, no matter how much you brush him, and that can - conceivably - be a problem for kids with allergies and that sort of thing.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
GWSchott,

Isn't that a Holland Lop you are holding on your web site in the BIO section?

How do you like working with him?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-01-06 01:45, GWSchott wrote:
I've been using a lion-head. They're very furry and look much bigger than they actually are, which means they can fit in small places but look HUGE when they're produced. Only drawback is the shedding. Mine sheds like mad, no matter how much you brush him, and that can - conceivably - be a problem for kids with allergies and that sort of thing.

I have been searching for a REW Lionhead buck for a long time....over a year, in fact. They are difficult to locate around this area. I may have to reconsider if shedding is that bad. I was told their shedding is similar to Netherland Dwarfs, only their hair is longer of course.

What about grooming? Does their long hair mat easily?

Regan
Mister Mystery
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
My favorite is the Hotot, but they are rather hard to come by in my area. I am currently using a Mini Rex and she has been a wonderful rabbit to work with and has stayed small. The key is always the load chamber on the props.
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
Boppies2 -
Yes, I am indeed holding a lop on my website, but he's not the one I use in my show. I use the lionhead. The lop is a wee bit too 'curious' to keep still when he needs to.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Magic Rob
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
99 Posts

Profile of Magic Rob
I've had good luck with lionhead rabbits. I've found them to be calm yet intelligent to work with - very trainable. I really haven't had too much trouble with shedding, and I've never had one get a mat - even with minimal brushing.

Regan -
What is a REW lionhead rabbit?

Rob
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
My recommendation for finding rabbits is to go to one of the ARBA Shows (i.e. American Rabbit Breeders Association). You can go to their website and search show dates by State. There are tons of rabbits.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-01-19 02:14, Magic Rob wrote:
I've had good luck with lionhead rabbits. I've found them to be calm yet intelligent to work with - very trainable. I really haven't had too much trouble with shedding, and I've never had one get a mat - even with minimal brushing.

Regan -
What is a REW lionhead rabbit?

Rob

Thanks Rob. I had heard shedding was about like a Netherland, but I wanted to make sure.

A REW means "Ruby-Eyed White"

Regan
Mister Mystery
123TJS321
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of 123TJS321
I got 2 Polish dwarfs
AOberheim
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of AOberheim
Quote:
On 2010-01-21 18:49, 123TJS321 wrote:
I got 2 Polish dwarfs

Male or female? Both have +/-
123TJS321
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of 123TJS321
Both males
AOberheim
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of AOberheim
Sometimes mature males will get aggressive/mark territory in breeding season (Mad as a March Hare?). Best to neuter them.

Good luck
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
I was at the zoo, in connecticut, they have an extensive rabbit program there, definately Neuter males if not breeding, if using females and not breeding, spay them, this will take away the chance of Ovarian cancer in the females giving them a longer life. If you ever have a female that has just passed away for no reason, have the vet check for Ovarian cancer, leading killer in female rabbits.
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
I agree with a lot of the guys here about the netherland dwarf rabbits, which is what I have been using for the last 3 years. Both male and female rabbits are kid friendly and I've never had any behavior problems out of any of them. Father Photieus is correct about finding a breeder with pet quality rabbits for sale, but I have bought 4 rabbits in the last 3 years that were pet quality that died for apparently no reason at all. My vet told me that dwarf rabbits will sometime carry bad genes and have short life spans, which is hard to explain to my children who look at the rabbits as pets.
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I also vote for Dutch. My doe has a decent temperment and will "pick" a card when put near her mouth. This is a great "trick," which really requires no training if you get the right animal.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit Buying PLEASE HELP! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL