The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Stripped appearing cane. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I saw a red and white stripped appearing cane for sale on the net but I lost the link. Does anyone know where that is available? Twirl a red and white silk together and turns into the cane. I think was $150.00
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
The red and white appearing cane sold by SEO are from Mahka Tendo and is no longer sold now as Mahka Tendo has passed away.

There are knock off versions sold in Asia - from China and Taiwan.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Doesn't a stripe like that sort of give away the illusion?
I don't even like the silver ones, because they don't look like a cane.

The original Russ Walsh idea was that you were making a classic "wood" cane appear magically,
by using one that looks metal or plastic from stage, you weakening the effect.

My thoughts,
Walt
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
I have also noticed that at SEOMAGIC does not sell Mahka Tendo Black Appearing cane.
Now I know why. Do anyone know where I can still purchase one of these superb black appearing canes?

-Fred
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 15:36, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:

The original Russ Walsh idea was that you were making a classic "wood" cane appear magically,

My thoughts,
Walt

I thought just the opposite. The red stripping would help mask the tell tale spirals. The concept of twirling a red and white silk into a red striped staff was pretty clever.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 15:36, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:

My thoughts,
Walt

Absolutely right, The idea of an appearing "cane" is simulation of a seemingly ordinary cane. Not a Barber Pole, or Candy cane. Unless that's your act. Better to have glitter or polka dots.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I think this has been discussed before on here before but unless your act\attire is along the line of James Dimare you probably have no reason to produce a walking stick anyway. Now a red and white striped or zebra striped staff is different story, who wouldn't want to produce something like that, lol.
ricafanta
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of ricafanta
In my opinion, Stripped Cane gives away the idea of how it works. Black Cane looks more as a ebony wooden cane. A color Cane is good for Color Change effects, ending with Silks of the same colors, flags, streamer ot Flower Bouquets.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I guess having the spirals or stripes running in the opposite direction to the cane's own 'lines' wouldn't be a consideration? LOL
visit me @ JNealShow.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I have one of the Mahka Tendo red & white striped canes. I really liked the look on the video twirling the red & white silks and then it turning into a matching colored cane, not sure why, it just appealed to me on some level. I guess it just looked more magical to me than the black canes. Later, I came to realize that it was because the trick was more logical and simply made more sense. So what it possibly lacked in mystery it made up for by making sense to the audience. But I don't want to overthink the whole thing here.

Plus my manip act is based on a red and white theme, but still I shied away from the effect thinking it would be obvious how it was done and some of the points that others have mentioned. Then after Mahka passed away I wasn't sure when or if the canes would be available again so I bit the bullet and decided to get one while I had the chance. Worst case scenario is I sell it or just add it to my ever expanding appearing cane "collection".

Well, I got the cane and started using it and now I really love it. First off, it is very well made and works great. The paint used to color it looks more like a thin plastic coating over the metal and is glossy and shiny and has a richness to it. It is very fast and will suck up a pretty large silk no problem at all, yet quieter than most metal canes. Plus, my act is not a real formal one in attire so this cane actually fits in better than a cane that looks like an actual walking stick, and as I mentioned before with a red/white theme throughout the act it blends right in with the other red/white silks and balls and props. Also, I don't perform often in large venues, usually more of a parlor type setting. IMHO the black canes really don't work well in a more intimate setting. Talk about the trick being obvious, IMO sometimes we as magicians are just fooling ourselves because you can really see the spirals under the lights, which is why I had previously been using a silver cane which was a little harder to see how it was gimmicked I felt. But still I would ditch it out of sight pretty quickly. Now I actually use the red/white one for a table base and leave it in full-sight throughout the remainder of my show because you don't have to worry about anyone seeing anything. So for me the red and white cane is much more mystifying. Even close-up you cannot see the spirals per say because they are hidden in plain sight.

Another thing, and I'm sure many will disagree, but I have never really considered the appearing cane to be a big fooler. It's more of a quickie (hate to use the term "throw away" but it almost is in my mind) and a way to get from point A to point B in a smoother and more magical fashion. It looks kinda cool and I enjoy doing it, but I've never felt it to be much of a real mystifier.

A silk changing to a cane always seemed somewhat incongruous and almost non-sensical to me, and in years past I have tried using the black silk with white tip but that didn't really seem to solve the problem and besides the black silk just looked boring and ugly to me, which is one reason you don't see that done more often. But the colored silks to matching colored cane seem to give the trick more body and makes more sense. I literally get the feeling when performing it that audiences "understand" the trick now and therefore respond to it better.

Also, I own a couple Russ Walsh canes that I purchased over 30 years ago but have never really liked them that much. I think they are over-rated but I mention this just to let you know that I am probably a real "weirdo" when it comes to appearing canes so take my opinions on them with a grain of salt.

Anyway, just my experiences. YMMV.
Bill
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Update:
In case there are any other appearing cane weirdos out there, just got a newsletter from SEO Magic saying they have a couple of the striped canes back in stock from Mahka Tendo's widow. Just thought I'd share, but if interested you should probably hurry.
Bill
(who is not connected to SEO Magic in any way)
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Who makes the best metal Appearing Canes in black now?
Mister Mystery
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Locate the hHrukhan canes that were 'auto' painted by Mahka Tendo.. before they are all gone. it will be a while I think before something comparable comes along.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks. I will do a search and see what I can find.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 10:36am
I tried several of the better magic shops here in the U.S. and I cannot find the Harakhan Appearing Canes at any of them. I did find one by UGM. How about those? Are they good?
Mister Mystery
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Regan,
Just received this from SEO Magic. You may be able to get a black cane from them.

--------

We have received Mahka Tendo’s Canes, 2 Fluorescent Pink, 2 Fluorescent Yellow, 2 Yellow, 2 Blue, 2 Green, 3 Black and 4 White. (Red is not available for this time).
This is all we have for now and please understand that it will be “first come - first served”.

Our web-site cannot be control by number of inventory. After our inventories are gone, we will notify you and we will refund the money if you have paid by paypal. If payment method is by credit card, it will not be charged to your credit card.

Now you can order the canes from the following pages.

http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......ts_id/70

Due to the currency exchange rate, the cane is priced at $142.

To be honest, we have no idea when we will be able to offer these canes again.

His wife is currently making new canes, but this product is not easy to make, so they will not be available for quite awhile.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks. How does the Tendo Appearing Cane compare with the Harakhan Appearing Cane?

Regan
Mister Mystery
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I don't have a Harakhan cane, only a vanishing wand, so I cannot say. However, the Tendo canes are really good IMO. Not sure they are really worth 4 or 5 times as much as a cheap one though. I got the Tendo because I wanted a red and white one and it was the only one I could find so I had no choice. But I am VERY happy with it. I have never seen the black ones up close, only the colored ones. But the colored ones have the best finish on them that I have ever seen on an appearing cane. They are very smooth and rich looking with vibrant colors. If I could afford it I would buy all the colors just to have in my collection. Assuming the black ones are comparable I would say they are good canes. But again, I cannot say with certainty. Try emailing SEO and ask, they usually respond pretty fast.

Bill
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
The Harakhan canes are usually bronze / brown in color and the Harakhan canes are what Mahka Tendo would buy and then paint in various colors including black. So if someone is selling a Black Mahka Tendo cane, it started it's 'life' as a harakhan product.

When I last saw Mahka about 3 years ago in Bangkok , I told him I had need of a black VANISHING cane, but he said he didn't like making them because they were more difficult than the appearing cane. Sometime later, maybe a year or so, Ton Onosaka from Tokyo said he would 'get on' Mahka on my behalf and get me one...but sadly it never happened and of corse, we are all saddened b losing Mahka himself.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thank you so much! I That clears it all up. I already emailed SEO yesterday, and you are correct, they respond quickly. I ordered one, so I hope they haven't old them all yet.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Stripped appearing cane. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL