The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ascension...the new levitaion by Losander (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Moonmagick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
30 Posts

Profile of Moonmagick
Losander no longer only floats inanimate objects. The long awaited effect Losander has been refining for years is close to completion....It’s gonna blow your mind ! spread the word!
http://www.losander.com
Live on the edge of your dreams, balance on a thread, fall into the void, get out of your head.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Go go gadget Zombie person!!
Official Thread Killer
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Wow that was fun
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of CanadianMagicguy
I just got an advertising email from Dirk Losander this morning about "Ascension". I am usually a fan of his work, but I must say in this case am very disappointed. Maybe it's the sceptic in me, but to me if you take away the dancing and music, it looks just like a giant version of Bill Abbot's "The Thing". Compare the two video clips and you will see what I mean. I think that for $1500 I would expect something a little more original. Sorry, but this one is a thumbs down for me!
"Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef"
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
I was also expecting a self levitation.
afuoco
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
208 Posts

Profile of afuoco
I don't know how difficult it is to make that gal disappear. But if that is part of the effect and you don't need a complex stage, it's worth every penny.
Arnie
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-06-16 12:21, CanadianMagicguy wrote:

. . . it looks just like a giant version of Bill Abbot's "The Thing". Compare the two video clips and you will see what I mean.

Hmm! Yes.

Quote:
On 2009-06-16 21:34, afuoco wrote:

I don't know how difficult it is to make that gal disappear. But if that is part of the effect and you don't need a complex stage, it's worth every penny.

Looks like clever use of Black Art. For doing the disappearance act (it seems) certain room (backdrop) & lighting conditions need to be catered for.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

I don't believe it's very difficult to make the "gal" disappear, and you wouldn't need a complex stage - but you do need a stage. I think I would have preferred him to step in front of the draped figure and take her hands, then levitate her up and over to the side so that his back is to the audience for only a few seconds. Being behind it the way he is obscures the audiences view of him and that can only telegraph that he has something to hide. The levitation and vanish could still be pulled off if he is in front too. Sorry Luna, I'm still not spending my money on it!
Moonmagick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
30 Posts

Profile of Moonmagick
Funny that you would compare it to the "THING" which happens to be a blatant copy of Losander's Bubble zombie effect, so you are comparing our products to a rip off of our products...shows how much you know!
at any rate I don't care if you like it or not or if you buy it or not, you are clearly the minority of the the general consensus...
Live on the edge of your dreams, balance on a thread, fall into the void, get out of your head.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-06-17 01:20, Moonmagick wrote:
Funny that you would compare it to the "THING" which happens to be a blatant copy of Losander's Bubble zombie effect, so you are comparing our products to a rip off of our products...shows how much you know!
at any rate I don't care if you like it or not or if you buy it or not, you are clearly the minority of the the general consensus...

I really like Losander's presentation with the bubble a lot. But, why are you calling The Thing a rip off?

Sincerely,
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

Rip off of your product? I guess you had better get in touch with Bill Abbott and let him know then. The Zombie ball is older than you are and there have been many configurations of it since it was a toilet tank float. And being clearly in the minority of the general consensus of five other posters (not including you or I) who really didn't commit themselves to an opinion - well I think we should leave that to see what some of the other members of the Café think. Yes.... shows how much I know!
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
I made on of those covers for a kids show I did.

On over sized cape and chicken wire...

But this is different I must say...make a giant zombie out of it. I would be cool to add a "fake" hand to the end and actually be able to seem like you are holding her hand and floating her up...although...I guess you would call that a suspention then.

I would also be interesting to do it with people "surronding you" and everyone holding onto a small section of the sheet.

Then again I don't know.

I am intreged and shocked... Simple is good, but this is..."ify."

I would love to hear what some more seasoned pros say about it in use.
I personally wouldn't make the person disapear by the way. It kind of ruins the seceret. I would bring it back down, let the perosn walk around the stage a bit, and then come up to them and vanish them. Then the effect becomes to effects.

Has Losander used this in a show? I would love to see a live stage performance.

-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Greetings,

To make sure no one gets the wrong impression or information. Here are the historical influences for The Thing. Joe Karson, the inventor of Zombie, is without a doubt the biggest influence on The Thing.
The late Edward Brastins of Toronto added several touches to the effect that made it that more magical. And Norm Nielson marketed an effect several years ago called Ghost Catcher which was an effect that had a similar theme involving the levitation-animation of "nothing".

Dirk Losander, who I have the utmost respect and admiration for as an artist and creator, did not influence any of the effect, simply because The Thing was created before I had experienced any of Losander's wonderful magic.

When The Thing was first put on the market I contacted Losander about this same issue and, in his words from an email sent June 3, 2005:
"I'm not concerned about anything as you use a completely different method and it is a different aproach than I use. I have no problem with it. Have fun."

The Ascension looks like a very versatile and wonderful levitation.

Sincerely,
Bill Abbott
http://www.billabbottmagic.com
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
This reminds me of Copperfields vertical ashrah on a smaller scale.I might use it in that way,.hmmm.
afuoco
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
208 Posts

Profile of afuoco
The more I see it the more I like it.

Also my guess is that it is very portable. An important consideration when thinking about the human levitations and vanishes out there.
Arnie
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
He just sold the rights to Copperfield. It is no longer available.
Moonmagick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
30 Posts

Profile of Moonmagick
Dear Bill,
I apologize for my rash comments in regards to your effect, it was late, I was mildly irritated by the thread comment and just responded. What I really meant to say is that Ascension is nothing like the Thing and operates on a completely different method. but many people compare our products to yours and have made the comparison to the thing and the bubble zombie but yes I remember that discussion between you and my husband so we are cool on that....

Quote:
On 2009-06-17 09:36, Bill Abbott wrote:
Greetings,

To make sure no one gets the wrong impression or information. Here are the historical influences for The Thing. Joe Karson, the inventor of Zombie, is without a doubt the biggest influence on The Thing.
The late Edward Brastins of Toronto added several touches to the effect that made it that more magical. And Norm Nielson marketed an effect several years ago called Ghost Catcher which was an effect that had a similar theme involving the levitation-animation of "nothing".

Dirk Losander, who I have the utmost respect and admiration for as an artist and creator, did not influence any of the effect, simply because The Thing was created before I had experienced any of Losander's wonderful magic.

When The Thing was first put on the market I contacted Losander about this same issue and, in his words from an email sent June 3, 2005:
"I'm not concerned about anything as you use a completely different method and it is a different aproach than I use. I have no problem with it. Have fun."

The Ascension looks like a very versatile and wonderful levitation.

Sincerely,
Bill Abbott
http://www.billabbottmagic.com
Moonmagick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
30 Posts

Profile of Moonmagick
And to make it official. We have sold the exclusive rights for Ascension to David Copperfield so it is no longer available to the market.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2009-06-17 16:23, Moonmagick wrote:
And to make it official. We have sold the exclusive rights for Ascension to David Copperfield so it is no longer available to the market.

Congrats!!!
This seems like a perfect fit for Mr. Copperfield as he will certainly waltz with his floating partner before the vanish.
afuoco
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
208 Posts

Profile of afuoco
If anyone knows a good thing when he sees it--it is David.

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Arnie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ascension...the new levitaion by Losander (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL