The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Revealing the Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8577 Posts

Profile of funsway
As a kid I was facinated by silks (available for about 30 cents at the Five and Dime) because of their compressability -- able to produce many from a small secret load or container. I was distressed to see magicians 'reveal' this secret by visibly cramming large silks into small places.

An effect like 20th Century Silks relies on the audience not realizing the special quality of the handkerchiefs or scarves, either for the hidden gaff or the vanish. Isn't even calling them 'silks' to the audience saying too much?

Of course, I feel the same about sponge balls -- why reveal the secret?

You don't end a Chop Cup routine by explaining how magnets work -- why silks?

Am I alone in this?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1452 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Well Funsway, I get your point, particularly about sponge balls. Some texts have said not to make any point about their compressiblity, rather handle them as if they have greater mass. As to cramming silks into tight places in a visible fashion, I cannot imagine a circumstance when this happens, although I do think it kind of humorous when I see a large fountain of silks wadded up after the effect is concluded...into a big ball, like a pile of old christmas wrapping paper!

Another one (and here I have to be specific, unfortunately) is when Dale Salwak takes his appearing cane after concluding his cane and silk sequence and crams it into his table that would be unable to hold it, if in fact it was a solid object. Just because we are done with a prop does not mean an audience is finished contemplating it. I guess at this point I must also say I have worked for Dale as he has for me and I admire him in many ways. this is not intended to be a 'dig' at Dale, rather an odd moment that illustrates a point.

I don't think we are revealing anything about the compressibility of silk fabric by calling them 'silks'. I think the various properties of fabric are common knowledge, although' we don't have to do anything to unnecesarily remind them of it.

The old canard about not calling silks' silks' for the reason that it is an unfamiliar term to laymen has some merit, but it is not without precedent. We used to call synthetic hosiery for women..."nylons"!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I thought that silks were what jockeys wear...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Maybe female jockeys wear nylons...now I'm confused!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2009-06-16 13:10, JNeal wrote:

Well, I'm not asking a woman who carries a whip! You do it.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Bob,
It's not what you ask...it's HOW you ask that matters!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 11:34, Bob Sanders wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-16 13:10, JNeal wrote:

Well, I'm not asking a woman who carries a whip! You do it.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

:) Good one Bob! And I am in 100% agreement with you!

Regan
Mister Mystery
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
I never call a silk a silk. I refer to it as a scarf or a handkerchief. I never call a sponge ball a sponge ball. You do give up the trick when you suggest that it is a sponge and most people will get the idea that since it is a sponge that you can compress it into small places.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I would agree in all circumstances except when dealing with fellow magicians
visit me @ JNealShow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Revealing the Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL