We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Hiatts speedcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gill Russell
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
6 Posts

Profile of Gill Russell
I have a set of Hiatts Speedcuffs, which I can shim at leisure— as long as the double lock is not engaged. I have heard rumours that in the UK, the Hiatts are being slowly replaced due to a weakness that means they can opened without tools. Two qestions:

Is it possible to shim the lock while the double lock is engaged?

Is it possible to open them without tools?

NOTE: I am not expecting to be told *how*, I simply want to know *if*— and then I can carry on trying to figure it out.

Cheers,
Bah. Someone stole my sig...

Note: I am FEMALE! - Although I speak fluent "bloke"...*grin*
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Gill, I cannot comment on if or why Hiatts might be thinking of replacing the Speedcuff. You'd best ask, "What would my source know? Are they with the police force or do they work for Hiatts?"

If you PM me I can supply a diagram as why the cuff will not shim while deadlocked. And no you cannot open a regulation model without a tool.
Ian
Gill Russell
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
6 Posts

Profile of Gill Russell
Thank you Ian, and I would be very interested in the internals of a set.

The source is a newspaper article from a few years ago that I am trying to trace, a former convict claimed he could do it, and showed the editor who ran the story, with censored photos.

Certainly from talking to my local friendly PC, he confirmed the Hiatts were being rotated out, and replaced with a lighter Speedcuff - although I couldn't find a maker's mark on them.

My e-mail is russell@quarterback.demon.co.uk

Did you ever get that trebuchet working, by the way?

Cheers,

RichardJones
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of RichardJones
Dear Gill,

The 'Speedcuff' per se is a Hiatts cuff and, I believe, trademarked.

The other rigid cuff in use is the one made by Civil Defence Supply (CDS) and they are frequently used by the police over here, too.

Which cuff is used depends on the particular force. The CDS cuff is called a Quickcuff and has a slightly larger key handle which is solid. The plastic mouldings also extend further down one bow.

I cannot comment on the weight differences.

All best,
Richard.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Gill, I thought you may have been the one and the same. Hi, great to catch up with you again. Yes the trebuchet works well. Haven't broken any windows as yet.

I heard a story out here that the SAF-LOK was being opened by a match stick by prisoners but it wasn't possible with the cuff deadlocked. Rumours and stories are usually incorrect in security matters.

When prison doors aren't locked by mistake and someone escapes, the usual stories is that the prisoner slipped the lock with a hair comb. (all the prisoners I have ever seen don't appear to comb their hair)

The pictures are sent direct.
regards

Ian
Gill Russell
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
6 Posts

Profile of Gill Russell
Thank you Ian, received the pictures and all is clear. I am still chasing the story, but as you say it may well be just that - a story.

Cheers,

Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Gill, Glad the pictures explained enough. If you do come up with something positive on the method used for the Speedcuff I would be very interested.

regards

Ian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Hiatts speedcuffs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL