The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Floyd Moss - Author "Card Cheats - How They Operate"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm looking for information on Floyd Moss, who was the author of a softcover book published in 1950 by The William-Fredrick Press.

It's titled - CARD CHEATS - How They Operate

It's quite rare in terms of how often it comes up for sale, but I'm not sure how scarce it is overall. I've only ever seen the one I currently own up for sale, it came up on ebay a couple of years ago.

This book has some very interesting items in it, which lead me to wonder who this chap was.
I wonder if the name "Floyd Moss" is his handle, and not his real name (although I base this only on the practice common at the time of not using your given name when writing books on how to cheat at cards).

I am under the impression (though not positive) through research done to date that this chap is likely from (or was from) the Toronto, Ontario area.

The book however, was published in New York.

Any information gratefully received.
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
I want to know more about that book and about Monte Carlo Secret Service Sealed Book.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Silver,

The Moss book isn't rare at all. I've probably seen a dozen in the last 10 years for sale. I have one, Forte has one, and I know of at least 2 for sale right now.

Can't help you with info on Moss however.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Thanks Jason, that helps put the book into better perspective.

Your post would imply that it was quite widely distributed in its day (or wider than I had presumed), and by extension it might have been quite widely read.

I knew I'd find this if I looked hard enough.
A highly respected and knowledgeable gentlemen said this online a few years ago (the topic was "who's the best riffle stacker you've ever seen):

Best I've ever seen (although I actually couldn't see what he was doing)was an older fellow from Toronto. He wasn't a Magician -- in fact, he pretty much shunned Magicians. He made his living as an advantage player. I was introduced by a mutual aquaintance, and he and I talked for hours as I would fool him with magic tricks and he would do run-ups, bottom deals, center deals, etc., that were absolutely invisible.

I won't say his name, since I don't know if he is still alive and active as a gambler. He did write a very good book on basic gambling sleights with a chapter on running up hands and riffle stacking.

The person being referred to is Floyd Moss, and the book is the one we're talking about.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
How to Win at Poker by Johnny Moss was published in 1950 also. Now he knew a bit but I doubt it is his.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-06-17 19:16, tommy wrote:
How to Win at Poker by Johnny Moss was published in 1950 also. Now he knew a bit but I doubt it is his.

The Grand Old Man himself.
"Mr. Moss, I have to let you go."
-Nick "The Greek" Dandalos, after losing most of the $2million+ that Johnny Moss won* in a marathon poker game that lasted about 5 months.

*(Others would sit in periodically and generally lose their money, which added to Moss's bottom line, but essentially, it came from Nick).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Best title of a poker book ever: "Play Poker, Quit Work, and Sleep Till Noon," by the recently deceased John Fox. Co-creator of the Sathmary-Fox point-count formula for sandbagging in draw poker with a good hand in an early position, and also an outstanding handball and bridge player. His handball days were long behind him when I met him, but I played quite a bit of bridge with and against him. He could fall asleep twice during a hand and still find the only defense.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
No. 92
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of No. 92
I got curious about this Moss guy and went to the library. The book covers all the basics, reminded me of a modern watered down version of Expert without all the fancy talk. There is a peek on the cover that looks nice, sort of a heel peek but the deck looked much more natural resting in the hands.

All in all it was a nice short read, nothing terribly exciting but it seemed like a great collectors item.

Good luck in snatching one up.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Floyd Moss lived in Toronto, Canada, and quietly made his living for many years by cheating at cards in private games. Later, he invested in an awning business (Shade!) but as far as I know, he played cards for money until I lost track of him in the 1980's.

His forte was riffle stacking, which he did flawlessly at full speed.

- entity
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Thanks for that entity, it definitely helps put the book in context.

There are some passages in the book which caused me to believe I was reading the writings of somebody who wasn't a stranger to the craft of real work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Floyd Moss - Author "Card Cheats - How They Operate"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL