The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Interview with a GM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Zack I hear ya. Not many in my area and the ones that are here seem to be very anti social and won't even return my phone calls. I love the Café for being so open. Many people are willing to help because you are not in their area and therfore not in compitition with them. I have grown a lot since getting on the Café.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-06-17 22:52, Zack Smith wrote:
Hey all,

So today I had my first interview for a restaurant. I feel as though it went OK. However, I was SUPER nervous. I normally get somewhat nervous before performing at a party, but today my hands were super cold and shaky. It was great because the GM had me sit (it was a RR by the way) while he tended to some other issues. I sat for about 5 minutes constantly doing cuts, sybil, and some other sleights. While I was waiting one of the waitress's saw my practicing and smiled. SO naturally I went over and started doing tricks for her. I did a couple tricks and while performing two card monte, the GM came back, right at the climax when I pulled the 2 cards out of my back pocket and the girl got very excited!

So the GM and I went and sat down where we chatted (briefly) and he asked what kind of magic tricks I do. I asked if I could show him, he obliged so I performed 5 speed by Chris Kenner. He seemed to enjoy himself, but I was still nervous. We sat back down and he asked if I had ever worked at a RR before, and I told him I hadn't. He then asked what my going rate was. I told him it was $50 an hour but it was also negotiable. I am not set on $50, but I was just nervous and sort of blurted it out... I also told him that if that was the rate I was being payed I had no problem splitting tips with the wait staff.

And that was basically it. I took notes on Christopher Lyle's post, and I wish, in retrospect, I would have said something about a "test out" night, but I was so nervous it slipped my mind. Anyone have any advice. I know this is my first interview and it is definitely a learning experience. So any advice or tips are warmly welcomed. Thanks guys I appreciate all the help thus far.

Zack

First Zack CONGRATULATIONS...You have stepped where many have wished, hoped or dreamed about, but never have. Taking that step was huge, and it will only get easier from here.

Here are a few things that I do to ease the nerves.
forget about the tricks for a moment and focus on these things.

1.) be throughly prepared for the interview..have a pressbook with pictures of you doing cocktail settings or close up in similar environments (I say this because you said you have no experience in restaurants, but you do have experience performing at a cocktail party, awards banquet etc.) If you do not have these pictures buy or borrow a camera from a friend and have them shoot some pics of you doing the close up magic.

2.) Gather up newspaper articles, press releases or reviews of your show to include in your press kit.

3.) have a benefit sheet (stress the important benefits of having a restaurant magician)

4.) Have a copy of each sheet avaliable to give to the restaurant manager to keep on file.

This pressbook and stressing the benefits of having a restaurant magician are more important then showing the staff or GM magic tricks

Preparing for what you are going to say, and being prepared to quickly answer questions that the GM may have will help release nerves.

Also, remember what my father told me a couple of years back...they are just people like you and me.

Here are some tips for keeping the neves down while talking to the GM

1. Place hands flat on the table, sit straight, and smile a little. Look them in the eye periodically to acknowledge them.

Another thing that is just as important is already have 3-4 routines or the tricks that you plan to do already memorized. The tricks aren't important, but knowing that you are completely prepared before getting the gig will help you visualize your success in this market. Sit down and visualize the tricks as you do them for this restaurant guests...already visualize yourself having achieved this restaurant and picture your name with title Professional Magician on their sign board outside.

Hope this stuff helps!

I think you should invest in DJ Ehlerts Success Stratagies for the Restaurant Performer. If you go to conventions be on the look out for DJ...he is a really nice guy, and will encourage your success

Thanks
Charles
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
+1 in the DJ Ehlert material. He's a good friend and he knows his stuff. He is a pro.
If pro is opposite of con, then what is opposite of progress?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hey Zach,

What happened with the gig? Did you get it?

Thanks,
Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Interview with a GM (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL