We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Darn Dinner Parties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Recently my wife and I were invited to a dinner party. At the party there were a number of people who had recently seen my show for the first time. Several of them engaged me in conversation and asked me how we walk on broken wine bottles. I did the typical slide step about it all but kind of felt like a heel. Not because I wouldn't tell them but because I wasn't prepared for this interaction. A few others asked me about B.H. and wanted to know if anyone can do it. etc.

What would you have said? Keep in mind these are my wife's and my friends.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Tell them some over the top story about mystics in India, etc. Don't burst the bubble......it's funner that way Smile They will enjoy it more also.
Mike Webb
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Mike Webb
Real magicians don't....
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Hey Mike, I'm not a Magician.

T-Ray, I told them about mind over matter, studying for many years and having proper training, etc.

They have all known me for years as a normal guy. So now they are full of questions. I didn't like spinning a story.

Once I asked the person how they thought I did it to see how they reacted. When they said "you really did it?" I agreed and changed the subject.

I was hoping someone would have a clean, fast, by pass answer.
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
I say either that I am born with a rare genetic pain tolerance or that I am 2/7ths Jesus on my mothers side and then change the subject.

What is your type of humor? If you can answer with a laugh it really does not matter what you say.

As always,
Dylan
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Its all down to mind over matter.

I don`t mind, and you don`t matter !
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
"How do you walk on glass?"

"Carefully. Very carefully. It's a very old stunt, that dates back to the stone age, only then, it was broken pots. Did you know, glasswalkers have a huge debate going, about which is better, wine bottles or beer bottles." Etc.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Whenever asked "How do you do that?" the answer is 'very carefully, cuz if I wasn't careful we wouldn't be having this conversation'. That usually gets them thinking, then laughing, then nodding. They usually respond, "I'd never try that."
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
That's what I'm talking about. Thanks fellas. I know how to handle these moments when in show mode I am just not used to dealing with this with friends. Its different. Great suggestions.

Thanks guys.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It's never out, it's never over.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 02:17, Mike Webb wrote:
Real magicians don't....

Who ARE you?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Someone fighting to get their post count above 50.
Disregard them.
G
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It raises a question. What's a real magician?

Is there a forum for them, on the Café?

www.bladewalker.com
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Yeah I think it's "Polly wants a cracker".......(joking of course)
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
"It's the result of years of training. You start out by walking on crackers and work your way up."
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Do they tell how to do that safely, in the Gospel section?

www.bladewalker.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
God I hope not.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I'm a little late to the party, but I'll throw in my 2 cents, since I don't see a similar answer: basically, I tell them the truth.

Not the particulars, but I talk about training, practice, attention to detail and safety, physiology, physics, and that, yes, anyone can do it, just like anyone can jump out of an airplane, run into a burning building, or walk through Central Park after midnight.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Darn Dinner Parties (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL