The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bally (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I have seen a lot of different outside talkers doing a lot of different ballies. However, it seems that in every single one that I have seen they seem to always reduce the price of a ticket. Is that common for every show, or is it like a "once-a-day" thing? The reason I am asking is because some "specially talented" people and I are putting together our own sideshow, and we are trying to figure out how much to charge people to get in. I suppose it is really up to us, but what is the norm for tickets? Smile
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
As much as you can...or What the Market will bear....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
"Adult tickets are only $5.00 childs tickets are $2.00...but if you're in line you're in time...I'll let everyone in on a child ticket for the next ten minunites."

Than charge them $10.00 to get out(its called "ding'em" )

Don
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The jam is part of the bally.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
When I was a little kid in Coney: "Now folks like I promised...the Midget will now lift off the stage and fly over your heads...but wait...folks...Like I said Adults are 50 cents Kids a quarter......folks listen ...I see a crowd coming...hurry in before they get here and everybody gets in for childs price..."

Oh YEAH!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
This is precisely the same idea as any pitchman will use, whether on the boardwalk at Atlantic City or on a TV infomercial: "Order in the next ten minutes and we'll double your value, TWO Shamwows for just [fill in the blank]" and don't forget "What would you pay for this cheesy plastic gizmo? $10.99? $12.99? $15.99? You get this piece of c**p for just $5.99! But Wait! There's more! Order in the next ten minutes and you also get this vegetable peeler and a full set of steak knives!"

Or, as I put it online HERE - (forgive the caps, I'm not reformatting this thing) - I WANT YOU ALL TO SEE THE MAGICIAN, THE FIRE EATER, THE FAT LADY, SERPENTINA, THE ELECTRIC GIRL AND ALL THE OTHER GREAT ACTS YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT, SO WE ARE GOING TO DO SOMETHING SPECIAL. SEE THE SIGN THAT SAYS 'ADMISSION $2 FOR ADULTS AND $1.50 FOR CHILDREN'? FORGET ABOUT IT.

(JOE, PUT THOSE $2 TICKETS AWAY)

OUR TICKET TAKER IS SETTING A TIMER FOR THREE MINUTES, AND WHILE IT'S TICKING HE'S GOING TO LET YOU ALL IN, ALL YOU NICE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN STANDING HERE LISTENING TO ME, HE'S GOING TO LET YOU ALL IN TO SEE THE SHOW, THE SAME SHOW PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PAYING FULL PRICE FOR ALL DAY, HE'S GOING TO LET YOU IN FOR JUST ONE DOLLAR - BUT THE $1 TICKETS ARE ON SALE FOR THREE MINUTES AND THREE MINUTES ONLY, SO THIS IS A MIGHTY GOOD TIME TO SEE THE SHOW, THE FULL SHOW, FOR JUST A DOLLAR, BUT YOU HAVE TO GO NOW."

"JUST TWO MINUTES LEFT, DON'T MISS A MOMENT OF IT! SEE IT ALL IF YOU ARE QUICK ENOUGH TO GET IN LINE, JUST A DOLLAR AT EITHER ONE OF THESE TWO TICKET BOXES. FOLLOW YOUR NEIGHBORS, THEY KNOW WHERE THEY'RE GOING, THEY'RE GOING INSIDE, THEY'RE GONNA SEE THE FREAKS, THE WEIRD PEOPLE, ALL ALIVE, WAITING FOR YOU INSIDE. THIS SHOW IS ONE OF A KIND, THE WORLD'S GREATEST GATHERING OF HUMAN CURIOSITIES. YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT THESE PEOPLE FROM YOUR NEIGHBORS, YOU'VE READ ABOUT THEM IN THE NEWSPAPERS, YOU'VE SEEN THEM ON TELEVISION, AND THEY'RE WAITING FOR YOU ON THE INSIDE, ALL REAL, ALL ALIVE. ONE DOLLAR, ONE DOLLAR, I DON'T WANNA HOLLER, IT'S JUST ONE DOLLAR, THE BEST VALUE ON THE MIDWAY, GO NOW, NOW'S THE TIME TO GO. JUST ONE MINUTE LEFT TO SEE IT ALL FOR THIS SPECIAL LOW PRICE! FRIENDS, DON'T GO OFF AND GET YOURSELF SOMETHING TO DRINK AND COME BACK LATER THINKING YOU'LL GET IN FOR A BUCK, THE TIMER IS TICKING YOU HAVE TO GO NOW. MOVE RIGHT ON UP TO THE BOX, I HAVE TO GO IN AND START THE SHOW, AND WHEN I GO IT'S GOODBYE TO THIS SPECIAL PRICE - LAST CALL ON THE DOLLAR DEAL, IT'S SHOWTIME ON THE INSIDE!"
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Ross..Excellent!...Not to get off subject...But while looking at your Circus Flicks...Do you have a copy of "3-Ring Circus"???...starring Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis....I have trying to hunt down a copy for years....Best.
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Sorry, I'm sure that's still in copyright.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
What is being asked about is the Jam. It is a vital part of the Bally as it transforms the desire to see the show into a desire to see it right now. The Jam is one of the five parts of a Bally.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-06-19 18:07, dpe666 wrote:
I have seen a lot of different outside talkers doing a lot of different ballies. However, it seems that in every single one that I have seen they seem to always reduce the price of a ticket. Is that common for every show, or is it like a "once-a-day" thing? The reason I am asking is because some "specially talented" people and I are putting together our own sideshow, and we are trying to figure out how much to charge people to get in. I suppose it is really up to us, but what is the norm for tickets? Smile

As to what to charge, it depends what venue you are playing. If you are playing on a carnival you have to talk the patrons into buying a ticket, and jamming the price can help get their money. Do it for every show unless the crowds are large and buy at the full price. Jim plays at lot on lots where this is the case.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-06-20 19:46, Todd Robbins wrote:

As to what to charge, it depends what venue you are playing. If you are playing on a carnival you have to talk the patrons into buying a ticket, and jamming the price can help get their money. Do it for every show unless the crowds are large and buy at the full price. Jim plays at lot on lots where this is the case.
[/quote]

One has to realise, The BCS is a LIVE/Museum show...So the "Rule" is...We set the price at what the Market will bear...So lets say we are getting $3...Now one has to also understand The BCS does not Bally all the time like the WoW show...In other words I only Bally if the tents primarily emty...The deal over here is ..if they are Fallin in at a rate we like...Don't mess with it,.. however, if the siphon stops, Bally to get the flow goin again ( are set-up is such that People bring people)..Todd can break down a Bally much better than I can, But this is what I do, Stop em and Build the tip, lock em in, pitch, and turn...Sometimes this Happens Fast, sometimes it goes painfully slow, in other words if they are antsy..Fast!...If you could read "War and Peace" to them and nobody leaves..Slow.(as long as tip keeps building)...I NEVER decide on if I am going to discount the price until 3/4's thru the Bally..You have to read the crowd, if I think they will go for Full, Why Discount...The only time I discount is if a Celebrity like Todd or John Robinson is watching or...The Tip looks a little undecided, then I discount to help create 'Urgency" and insure I at least turn someone...or in Todd or John's case, to try to get em' all...
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

P.S. Having the RIGHT Ticket Seller can make or Break a Bally...If they are hesitant, The Ticket Seller has to collect SLOW also, if he/she grabs the $$ to fast it can KILL the turn (People bring PEOPLE) However, if they are lining up FAST, Grab the Money and RUN!!!....
Evel Knievel

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-06-20 20:18, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
Todd can break down a Bally much better than I can, But this is what I do, Stop em and Build the tip, lock em in, pitch, and turn...

This is basically the same structure I have used ballying out on John Strong Island. Build a tip, freeze the tip, do the opening (the pitch), turn the tip (often with a jam) and then grind while there is a que buying tickets.

A couple of years ago I was contacted by the Ripleys on 42nd to help them build attendance. I talked the front for a couple of hours to test the waters and then reccomended a few talkers to the management. The talkers have been about the only marketing thing that has made money for them. I will be working as a special guest performer there next month and will insist on talking the front in addition to working the inside. I want to move some real numbers for them and show them how good it can get!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
It helps to use a stick.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Bud Abbott, who later when on to fame as half of Abbott and Costello, got his start as a stick at the Dreamland Sideshow in Coney Island.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

[quote]On 2009-06-20 22:49, Todd Robbins wrote:
Quote:
then reccomended a few talkers to the management. The talkers have been about the only marketing thing that has made money for them. I will be working as a special guest performer there next month and will insist on talking the front in addition to working the inside. I want to move some real numbers for them and show them how good it can get!

Todd,...Feel free to Throw my name in the Hat...As I am currently playin a Blank...
Evel Knievel

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Jim, we will see what happens with Ripleys. They could be doing twice the business they are doing but the manager has his hands tied by the partners of the franchise and the rules the Ripleys Corp males him follow. If they let someone like you bat away if sure they would have a red one.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Todd...Hopefully this is the last Blank of the season...(May and June are Killers)...starting next week, will be able to at least cover the "Nut"..an then some....
Evel Knievel

abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
I am finding out in the field, at least with my fellow product vendors, that 20% down is the norm this year. We were last week. If its just 20% down, we will survive, anything more and things will look a bit desperate. Hope things turn up green for you.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

I have always debated taking May/June off...This year re-enforces that argument...
Evel Knievel

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bally (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL