The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's Sanda-Panda Box (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Rooman,

I understand what Patrick is saying. I however respectfully disagree with him. To me having a box sitting in full view that does not get destroyed to hide the workings is great. Can some of these things be done with an envelope? Yes I imagine "some" (not all) could. But could you end this "clean"? No way. The spectator can hold the top and bottom of the box and examine it all they want and will find nothing. No slit, no trap door ---NOTHING. I like the idea that it's a simple box. It LOOKS innocent---heck it IS innocent. I use this in my performance. So far I've used it 4 times and each time I hear things like "No way!" or "Unbelievable" I like hearing that. Like all of magic and mentalism I know not everyone will use this. But I believe those who do will be glad they did.

So I normally NEVER do this but I've read your posts and you have always seemed like an honest man to me. Btw Devin and I are not in business together either. I will make you a deal. You buy this and if you "hate" it I will send you half the payment so it won't be such a hardship. I'm basically putting my money where my mouth is. If you like Devins work you will like this. But like I said I've read your posts and I know you are honest. And for you my friend I will make this offer.

Good magic to all,

Eric
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I don't see why anyone would want to examine an envelope that only existed to contain a prediction. You just open it up, take out the prediction, hand it to them, crumple up the envelope and toss it away so they forget about it. It has absolutely no importance to them at all.

You're right, you cannot perform all of the effects with just an envelope, but I didn't buy this to learn how to make a selected card appear inside of a box. There are many other card to impossible locations that are far superior to this crap. This box was meant to be used for predictions. The predictions can all be done with just an envelope. Even the rose effect. Just use a padded envelope.

I agree that some might actually like this. I have no doubt about it. I don't like it because of how it's done, plain and simple. It's a personal thing.

A few things to consider before you buy:

You have to pick up the box and place it back down for no good reason other than telling them that it's been on the table the whole time.

The prediction is written on the OUTSIDE of the folded up piece of paper! You could end up looking like a *** retard because it's just such a stupid thing to do.

Devin kept saying that the performer never touches the prediction or the contents of the box. No, you never touch the contents of the box, but you do touch the prediction, just not once the box is opened.

That last point is the thing that bothered me. That's what made me think that he was onto something new and really good. Turns out it's nothing new for me. Doesn't bother me if others like this though. Good for them if they use it successfully. I'd rather use other techniques.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I understand it is just a personal choice thing. I agree some will like it others won't. But that is what makes each performance unique. The performer. For example I'm more of the kind of performer where if I can get away with using un-gimmicked items---I will. There is a fine line between destroying evidence and leaving none to begin with. But Patrick I do respect your opinion and although we disagree I think it may help people decide either way. And honestly that what makes The Café a great place.

Good magic to all,

Eric

Ps. RooMan my offer to you still stands.
JohnPizzi
View Profile
New user
NJ
81 Posts

Profile of JohnPizzi
You can always buy one and Ebay it off if you are not happy....
kpro
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of kpro
Very clever work! This will most greatly baffle audiences. Especially the book test effect.
kpro
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of kpro
That's how all magic/mentalism works. It's an art form, not real magic. The Sanda Panda Box is a clever effect that will get great reactions. Especially the book test. You're only touching the box so you can remove the lid so the person can get the book out, etc. It looks very clean.

Quote:
On 2009-07-30 00:45, PatrickGregoire wrote:
I don't see why anyone would want to examine an envelope that only existed to contain a prediction. You just open it up, take out the prediction, hand it to them, crumple up the envelope and toss it away so they forget about it. It has absolutely no importance to them at all.

You're right, you cannot perform all of the effects with just an envelope, but I didn't buy this to learn how to make a selected card appear inside of a box. There are many other card to impossible locations that are far superior to this crap. This box was meant to be used for predictions. The predictions can all be done with just an envelope. Even the rose effect. Just use a padded envelope.

I agree that some might actually like this. I have no doubt about it. I don't like it because of how it's done, plain and simple. It's a personal thing.

A few things to consider before you buy:

You have to pick up the box and place it back down for no good reason other than telling them that it's been on the table the whole time.

The prediction is written on the OUTSIDE of the folded up piece of paper! You could end up looking like a *** retard because it's just such a stupid thing to do.

Devin kept saying that the performer never touches the prediction or the contents of the box. No, you never touch the contents of the box, but you do touch the prediction, just not once the box is opened.

That last point is the thing that bothered me. That's what made me think that he was onto something new and really good. Turns out it's nothing new for me. Doesn't bother me if others like this though. Good for them if they use it successfully. I'd rather use other techniques.
Andrew Sway
View Profile
Loyal user
-------
257 Posts

Profile of Andrew Sway
Hmmm I have a booklet of Al Mann called "Arca the Magic box" and to me it is exactly the same as the Sanda Panda Box so I think its not new....and if iam read it right also the routines are the same...
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 06:21, minderX wrote:
Hmmm I have a booklet of Al Mann called "Arca the Magic box" and to me it is exactly the same as the Sanda Panda Box so I think its not new....and if iam read it right also the routines are the same...

Although similar is one aspect, the method is improved most of my ideas including Deal or No Deal are original. Those who have compared have seen the improvements. Arca wasn't surefire 100% and really limited you to what could appear. My method allows for a larger writing area with my cover.

Devin
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Excuse me but Deal or no deal was my idea.

I do want to say that I gave Devin an idea AND a method. I actually like my method better and I feel that dealing through the deck to find the missing card is too long.

I originally called it "Beat the box". Why? Because "Deal or no deal" is a game show that is on TV and I like the upbeat name "Beat the box" better than copying the name of a game show. Also "Beat the box" is more fun to say.

So, Devin came up with the method for being able to go through the deck and see the card is missing but it was my idea to have a picture of the contents of the box and the whole game show concept.

In the instructions, it sounds like I "suggested" a rough idea and Devin created the whole thing. This is not the case. My routine was given to Devin complete and plays very well. Actually I like my method much better than Devin's. I would not go through all the counting to show the card missing, it really only matters to magicians.

Sanda Panda is a great prop and utility to have. All the routines are real killers.
James

Quote:
On 2009-08-21 07:09, magicbuilder wrote:
Quote:

Although similar is one aspect, the method is improved most of my ideas including Deal or No Deal are original. Those who have compared have seen the improvements. Arca wasn't surefire 100% and really limited you to what could appear. My method allows for a larger writing area with my cover.

Devin
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:

Quote:
On 2009-08-21 07:09, magicbuilder wrote:

Quote:
On 2009-08-21 07:27, Xiqual wrote:
Excuse me but Deal or no deal was my idea.

I do want to say that I gave Devin an idea AND a method. I actually like my method better and I feel that dealing through the deck to find the missing card is too long.

I originally called it "Beat the box". Why? Because "Deal or no deal" is a game show that is on TV and I like the upbeat name "Beat the box" better than copying the name of a game show. Also "Beat the box" is more fun to say.

So, Devin came up with the method for being able to go through the deck and see the card is missing but it was my idea to have a picture of the contents of the box and the whole game show concept.

In the instructions, it sounds like I "suggested" a rough idea and Devin created the whole thing. This is not the case. My routine was given to Devin complete and plays very well. Actually I like my method much better than Devin's. I would not go through all the counting to show the card missing, it really only matters to magicians.

Sanda Panda is a great prop and utility to have. All the routines are real killers.

James

How would 'Sanada-Panda Box' effect compare with 'The Black Box Compels Thee' effect by John Riggs (Epiphanies DVD)?

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I should clarify, when I meant Deal or No Deal was original. It WAS NOT part of the ARCA book, as the poster implied all the ideas were in ARCA. That was what I was referring to, Deal Or No Deal was an original Idea not in the original Al Mann release.

James did come up with the concept and I gave him credit for the idea in the release. My method is completely different from the method he suggested (although similar). His idea was very good but required a deck that not everyone has. I devised my own method as I wanted to show the card was missing from the deck.

James, sorry for any misunderstanding in my post. I didn't mean to slight you, I was just pointing out that Deal or No deal was an original idea NOT IN ARCA.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Ustaad they are the same.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Thank you Elcio.

Nice that John Riggs credited Al Mann besides others.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Hi Devin,
I know you did not mean to slight me, of course. I reread my post and it seems like I am a bit defensive. I am grateful you took my idea and made it so useful. I really like my Sanda Panda. I still like to say "Beat the Box" ten times fast though,lol.

I think Sanda Panda is an awesome tool. I can now actually get an unfolded card in there with no trouble at all. It's actually easier.

Sanda Panda and Black box compels you are different boxes. Sanda Panda is much better. Hard to write why it's better without exposure. So, I won't.
James

Quote:
On 2009-08-21 09:33, magicbuilder wrote:
I should clarify, when I meant Deal or No Deal was original. It WAS NOT part of the ARCA book, as the poster implied all the ideas were in ARCA. That was what I was referring to, Deal Or No Deal was an original Idea not in the original Al Mann release.

James did come up with the concept and I gave him credit for the idea in the release. My method is completely different from the method he suggested (although similar). His idea was very good but required a deck that not everyone has. I devised my own method as I wanted to show the card was missing from the deck.

James, sorry for any misunderstanding in my post. I didn't mean to slight you, I was just pointing out that Deal or No deal was an original idea NOT IN ARCA.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
shafan
View Profile
New user
Israel
5 Posts

Profile of shafan
Hi Devin,

Can you upload a video clip demonstrating the Sanda-Panda Box?

Thanks
Gal
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
One will be posted on Murphy's site within the next week or so.

Devin
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I remember using the Arca box years ago after buying one from Al Mann, I used to use it as an opener, with the rose in the box routine. Very clever idea.

Patrick said he'd rather use an envelope, which is well and good for any prediction, but the box does offer greater possibilites with regard to content. I can understand why he might be disappointed though.

Not a new prop at all, but sounds like some newer routines to go with it.

I believe Al Mann credited someone else with the idea.

Paul.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Where is this now available everywhere I look it is out of stock? Will Murphy's be getting more in?
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Hocus Pocus has some in stock. I also have a few on hand.It has been a runaway best seller. Murphys will be getting another shipment next week.

Devin
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
A demo video of this being done in REAL world conditions has been posted on You Tube. Remember ANY card can be named with NO RESTRICTIONS. There is no pre-show or stooges used in the effect.

The effect appears the same EVERY time, regardless of what card is named. No sleights and no forces.

For those who didn't think this was practical, you will see an actual performance of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddFwbrQlgFo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Devin Knight's Sanda-Panda Box (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL