The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Displaying your cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
266 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
Hello Everyone
I have have question for you all. How do you display your cups. I need some ideas, I have a small collection now but within a month I will be getting more cups. Thanks

Jeremy
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Jeremy,

I am interested in this too. I currently have all the cuups I don't use on a regular basis stored in their bags in boxes and one chest with all the cups I do use.

I wouldn't mind having some way of displaying them.

I was thinking of a plate rack around the room....
Bri
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Take a look at the "Your Cup Collection" thread for some ideas.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Yeah, that's where I also enjoy taking a sneaky peek at people's book collections too!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1801 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I don't display mine....I use them!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

What... all at once? Smile

I have about 7 sets that I use on a regular basis, of those Iuse 2 or 3 most of the time depending on the routine.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
"But there isn't a door"
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Nice collection, Tom. Your cups have grown in numbers. Keep it up.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
I used to display mine on the shelves in front of my magic books. Two weeks ago I received a lighted display case as a gift and have moved my humble collection there. When I get a chance I'll post a photo.

I like the new case, but the only thing is that it isn't nearly full so now I have no choice but to buy some more cups... This really is a disease you know.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I display mine after I pull them out of may case, and remove them from their bag.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
When not in use, they sit gleaming in lines on the bookshelves in the library, which is visible from the sitting room.

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I have mine in a pretty big cabinet but there's little space left, so..........

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mine take up a whole room in the house. I'm in the process of boxing some of the cups that are of less interest than the others and simply displaying the really important ones.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Mine currently sit on top of my book case which is filled mainly with magic books a few odd props, a meager wand collection and about a gross of unopened packs of cards. I've been on the look out for a corner style curio cabinet with a convex glass front!

I'm in the planning stages of remodeling my office/den/magic room and plan to build most myself but the curved glass and frame work is a bit above my skill level currently!

If I ever find my dig. camera I'll post some pics! I know Keith is thinking, "Yeah yeah, I've been hear that for months now"! I just know if I break down and buy a new one the other will magically reappear!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have a multi level showcase with glass door for my major cups and probably two or three 'banker boxes' filled with dupes and lesser cups.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
This has me thinking about the IBM Gold Cups presentation cases that I used to make; the ones with the plexy covers and how nice they looked wtih a good looking set of cups in them, Paul Fox at that time. The thought of designing a display case for say a dozen sets of cups and maybe a rack to hold one row of different balls seems like a lot of fun. All kinds of possibilities. Actually, a cool magic wall would be kind of neat. Sounds like something fun to do.

OK, need mahogany!!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
So Tab were they always Paul Fox cups in the award? What do they use now? Was there some reserve of PF cups somewhere that the award would pull from or would they go to market and find a good set to use for the award? Always wondered about those cups...

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
When I was making the award presentation, Jerry Schnepp, the contest chairman had purchased a number of sets of the Paul Fox cups. I assumed that they came from Busby but I never even tried to verify it. Jerry sent me one set to use as a model and I would make the wood and plexy part of the award including the plaque and send it to Jerry at the convention. I did this for about ten years. The last year I did it the cups didn't fit when I sent it in. This told me that they had changed cups. When I say "didn't fit" I mean that the cups didn't fit on the the raised rim I made to hold the cups in place. The new cups were a little smaller in diameter.

Unfortunately, and I think Jerry was president at this time, I got blamed for the misfit. This really PO'd me and I went on the warpath to prove that I was making the award to fit the cups I was provided with originally and then resigned.

I've never been a cool head, more like a hot head (thats all behind me now Smile) and retaliated by keeping the cups. I made one more "award" and sold it on ebay to a collector who always wanted a "Gold Cups Award."

Nowadays I don't have any idea what kind of cups they're using. The awards that I made are distinguished by having the TABMAN USA brand burned into the underside and I always used the little "smoke stack feet" that were my trademark for so long.

Lots more in the book...

-=tabman

Oh, the cups were supposedly actually gold plated. They were beautiful for sure.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
My sister from Ohio is visiting next week and if I were to display my cups she might do something really stupid. Like try to clean the patina from my cups. NO WAY, I am hiding my cups till she leaves.

Hey Mickey, I am still waiting LOL.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You have to watch out for "do-gooders" like that.

The last time I cleaned a set of brass cups, a genii appeared and I ended up with a little man a foot tall that played the piano.

But that's another story.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Displaying your cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL