The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Universal Stack Viewer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Hi all,

I've been a member of the Café for 2 years now. I think it's time to give something back to the community.

So, I have set up a simple Stack Viewer which displays a stack composed of any number (1-52) of cards. You can use it to check the randomness of any existing stack or to see how your own stack would look like.

It's "universal" because it just displays any custom stack: you don't have to use exactly 52 cards, you can even use duplicate cards. I have chosen not to include well-know stacks as pre-defined choices but I might add it on request...

Last thing: you can copy/paste cards values without worrying too much about line breaks, extra spaces or separators (like "-" or ":"), they are just ignored.

It's here:
http://www.bikoz.com/stack-viewer/

Enjoy! And tell me what you think: if it's usefull (or not), what could be improved, etc. And please feel free to correct any grammar or spelling mistake.

PS : I'm looking for a (simple) formula to compute the randomness of a stack of cards.
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Nick Pudar has written a program called Stackview which does all of this. It's free to all.
Magic is a vanishing art.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Yes, but if I'm correct StackView only runs on Windows and guess what: I use both MacOS and Linux! This is another reason why my what-you-call-it is "universal" Smile And I'm not sure if you can use less than 52 cards in StackView...

That said StackView is *really* amazing. My what-you-call-it is really NOT that amazing, I have to admit (but I find it convenient/useful). It is just something without pretense.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2399 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Colin Allen's Aronson Stack Program is also awesome.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
hcs
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany, Magdeburg
367 Posts

Profile of hcs
Well done because the stack viewer is universal!
Melencolia I - Magic Squares for the Mental Entertainer * Smart Methods for 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 Magic Squares * 148 A4-pages
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-06-22 15:44, bikoz wrote:
Hi all,

I've been a member of the Café for 2 years now. I think it's time to give something back to the community.

So, I have set up a simple Stack Viewer which displays a stack composed of any number (1-52) of cards. You can use it to check the randomness of any existing stack or to see how your own stack would look like.

It's "universal" because it just displays any custom stack: you don't have to use exactly 52 cards, you can even use duplicate cards. I have chosen not to include well-know stacks as pre-defined choices but I might add it on request...

Last thing: you can copy/paste cards values without worrying too much about line breaks, extra spaces or separators (like "-" or ":"), they are just ignored.

It's here:
http://www.bikoz.com/stack-viewer/

Enjoy! And tell me what you think: if it's usefull (or not), what could be improved, etc. And please feel free to correct any grammar or spelling mistake.

PS : I'm looking for a (simple) formula to compute the randomness of a stack of cards.

I could not access it
There seems to be a User ID or code to get in.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Étienne,

It should work "as is": no login, no password is required... I can only imagine a maintenance downtime or something like that...

Try this:
http://bikoz.nfshost.com/stack-viewer/

Feel free to PM me if still does not work.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I couldn't get in either.

What I'm looking for is a simple program that would allow a person to set up a custom stack. A friend of mine uses Doug Dyment's "Quick Stack" and I'd love to be able to point him to a "simple to program and use" program that he can enter his stack information into and then begin to use the program for practice.

BTW, does anyone know if the Microsoft Zune is able to accept a program ushc as desribed above? I'd love to be able to have the Aronson Stack put onto the Zune somehow and the, interactively, be able to practice the Aronson Stack.

Right now, I'm just using "virtual" exercises as I run throught the deck 1-52, 52-1, then, all the suits (both backwards and forwards) and then all the values in CHaSeD order sequentially (both backwards and forwards).

Thanks for any info in these regards.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Please tell us a bit more on how to use your stack view: Do we have to enter the stack card by card; How do we enter them: with their full name ("Jack of hearts") or just accronyms (JH); do we separate the cards with commas or dots or semi colons... etc
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Each card is represented by a pair of characters: one character for the face value followed by one character for the suit.

Valid face values are: A-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-T-J-Q-K. For convenience, you can equally enter "10" or "T" for the Tens and "1" or "A" for the Aces.

Valid suits are: C-H-S-D.

You can use it with less than 52 cards, if you just want to display a small "sequence" of cards. If you enter more than 52 cards, only the first 52 cards will be displayed. You can use duplicate cards, too.

For convenience, spaces, line breaks and separators like "–" and ":" are just ignored, so that you can copy/paste an existing character string from a web page or from a PDF file.

Examples:

10C 7H 4S AD JD 6C 7C 9S 6D AC JC 8H
10C-7H-4S-AD-JD-6C-7C-9S-6D-AC-JC-8H
10C:7H:4S:AD:JD:6C:7C:9S:6D:AC:JC:8H

I hope this make sense...
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Update:

I have simplified the application. It now displays an NDO stack by default (as an example). In addition, usage info is now always visible.

Please: could someone proof-read the text and correct possible mistakes? English is not my native language... Suggestions are welcome, too.
mmura
View Profile
New user
Tāmaki Makaurau, Aotearoa (New Zealand)
52 Posts

Profile of mmura
Thank you bikoz, since I am using Mac, that's very helpful.

BTW, I found colorful images of deck of cards at http://www.jfitz.com/cards/
If you use them, your viewer looks more realistic! Smile
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Note to my fellow Mac users: If you want to use StackView on the Mac, it will work when running it under Darwine. I discuss this in my Memorized Deck Toolbox post and my The Mac Comes To StackView! post. It's also discussed on the Stackview Musings blog.

BTW, while I'm thinking of Apple and memorized deck stacks, there's a new program out there for the iPhone geared towards magicians used memorized stacks. It's called Stacked Deck (iTunes Store Link). I haven't tried it out yet, but you can enter any stack you desire, watch the deck order play automatically, get quizzed on number to card, card to number, the next card and the previous card (as suggested in Dennis Loomis' Memorized Deck Mastery article).
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2009-07-31 23:01, mmura wrote:
Thank you bikoz, since I am using Mac, that's very helpful.

BTW, I found colorful images of deck of cards at http://www.jfitz.com/cards/
If you use them, your viewer looks more realistic! Smile

Other good sources of playing card clip art:

Playing Cards Clip Art
Wikimedia Commons: Individual Playing Cards
OpenClipart Playing Cards
More Playing Card Clip Art from Wikimedia Commons
mmura
View Profile
New user
Tāmaki Makaurau, Aotearoa (New Zealand)
52 Posts

Profile of mmura
Thanks Scott for the good information about Darwine. I have never heard of it before.

StackView stuck (no pun intended) on start-up somehow in my environment, and now I'm investigating the situation in detail. (maybe missing DLLs.)
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I just posted my review of the Stacked Deck app I mentioned upthread.

If you have an iPhone and are trying to memorize a standard stack (Aronson, Tamariz, etc.), you might want to check it out. The ability to add or edit custom stacks seems to be promised in the app, but doesn't actually function correctly. See the review for more details.
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
New user
MN
93 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
Thanks Scott and others for the links to the Playing Card clip art.
BTW, I've created a new Facebook fan page for Memory Performers.
You can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Memory-Per......ef=share
The goal is to create an organization dedicated specifically to any types of memory performances, or any magicians who secretly use memory techniques.
Anyone is welcome to become a fan of the page, and share your thoughts.
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Update (2009-10-09):

- Changed card faces as suggested by mmura.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Update (2009-10-11):

- The site is TEMPORARILY down, for the next 24 hours only. Don't worry, I'm just testing a new web host...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Universal Stack Viewer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL