The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What to use for clearcoat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I'll clean up my cups so that they are nice and shiny, let them gain some patina, then I want it to stop. What can be used to clearcoat the cup at that point?
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
I believe there is some info about it here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=115&8
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Paste wax
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
To be specific, carnauba wax. You may have to reapply it from time to time, but it is a much easier coating to maintain than epoxy or acrylic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'd go with Bill's suggestion. Unless you're a pro painter with all the supplies and safety gear (many times the price of the cups) or know someone who has all this and knows how to use it, I'd stick with waxing.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you know someone who applies epoxy or acrylic clear coat to automobiles, they may be able to help you. But you do need a spray booth to do this correctly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2009-06-24 02:05, Bill Palmer wrote:
To be specific, carnauba wax. You may have to reapply it from time to time, but it is a much easier coating to maintain than epoxy or acrylic.

Have just polished up my set of Mendoza Copper cups, they are beautiful. With lots of handling though it doesn't take long before they loose their gleam. Mr. Palmer mentions that applying carnauba wax will keep their luster longer. I have a can of Simoniz paste wax for automobiles. It mentions that it has custom blended Carnauba wax with detergent-resistant polymers, anti-static ionconverters and other ingedients. The label has a picture of a Ferrari. My question is if it's good for a Ferrari should it be ok for copper cups OR should I find a carnauba wax which contains ONLY carnauba wax and nothing else. I would hate to apply something I shouldn't.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Ferrari has a coat of enamel on it. The copper cups do not. The main thing is to check to see if there are any cleaners in the wax. Automotive cleaners are usually abrasive. Enamel and steel are usually hared than copper. So check to see if it contains any abrasives at all.

If you are referring to the liquid that the late Billy Mays sells, I think I'd stay away from it, simply because the MSDS listing the ingredients is not available. However, the Simoniz paste wax has carnauba and parrafin in it. That should do the trick.

Another good wax is Renaissance Wax.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Thanks Bill. This automotive carnauba wax is a paste. No cleaners are mentioned in the ingredieces but on the lid of the can it does say it is non abrasive so it should be fine to use on the cups.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That appears to be the original Simoniz. According to the MSDS, there are no abrasives in it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What to use for clearcoat? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL