We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Drew Thomas on America's Got Talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
sileeni
View Profile
Loyal user
UK.
285 Posts

Profile of sileeni
Just watched the link you guys posted.
The show isn't aired here yet.
Wow that was awsome.
Great job.
Long live magic............................................
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
At the risk of being lambasted here, I am troubled to hear Sharon say "You're probably the best illusionist I've ever seen". I am not surprised, as I expect most people have seen relatively little magic. However, it tells me the caliber of what is being seen is generally sub-par.

This is in no way meant to demean Drew or his performance. Everything worked, there were no mistakes, and the judges were impressed. He did give it a warehouse-style appearance, but other than this theming his performance was perfunctory. I would venture to say that it was, in fact, Thomas Tobin's wonderful principle and this classic Tarbell effect that Sharon and the judges were truly enamored of. The performance was fine, but I didn't find it to be anything particularly special. My honest critique. This is not meant to take anything away from Drew or his success on the show. More power to him. It's good for all of us when one among our ranks succeeds.

I'll be very interested to see what he has to offer in future episodes.
It's all in the reflexes.
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I am so happy to see a magician succeed on that show without being a plant. (At least I don't think he was a plant. Did producers call him and invite him? The audition looked real to me.)

I don't think he has ever headlined in Vegas. I don't think he has already made millions of dollars. He is a perfect example of a great talent who deserves more national appearances and success.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
He makes a fine living on Royal Caribbean.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Good joooooooooooooooooooooob Drew!!!
Eric
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
"FINALLY We have a magician on this show that is worthy…" "Yes…Yes…Yes…!!!!"

Great seamless routine Drew! Super job!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Rock_Slatestone
View Profile
Regular user
Been Here A While But My Post Count Is
120 Posts

Profile of Rock_Slatestone
Excellent and fun to watch both performers and audience. Drew, awesome job.

Steven
http://www.Zoomalata.com
MrMandrake
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of MrMandrake
I think I saw him do a version of that trick at a Six Flags in Chicago.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2684 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Great Job Drew!

Other than seeing David Copperfield's ending to his 'Big Black Box' (aka the same illusion 'things that go bump in the night") where the box ends with the 3 sheep dogs, Drew's presentation was a close second. I have also seen John Hirokawa live in Hawaii perform this well and Lance Burton also does a great job of it too.

I realize that Copperfield uses a second method to load the sheep dogs and people via a special B"""D""" but I thought with the size of Drews Crate, there would be something in it at the end also as an extra kicker. But that's just me wanting more, Drew you did great! And you and your wife are very humble! Great work, I am sure we are going to be seeing a lot more from you!

Best,

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
As far as what compares to Copperfield's "black box" would be Doug's Bengal Tiger production at the end of his. I'll trade you 1 tiger for 2 sheepdogs! LOL

B
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Can't wait to see round two!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Who was the other magician? I was watching him closely. It looked like Sonny Holiday or someone who looked like him.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Blair, a friend of mine here in Fort Wayne actually has one of Doug Hennings "Things that go Bump" still with the tiger hair in it. I was visiting with him the other day and he showed it to me. His name is Wayne Hill and he's the VP of our IBM ring here. It's actually for sale, has the original crate that it was shipped in too...if anyone is interested let me know.

I thought Drew did a great job, I thought Sharon's statement was a little exagerated, especially with the piece that Kevin James did a couple of seasons ago. But that was a nice twist in the end for me...I didn't expect that.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2684 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Yes Doug's ending also! Terry, that is pretty cool about your friend owning the prop still with the cat hair inside, that's just cool!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
sileeni
View Profile
Loyal user
UK.
285 Posts

Profile of sileeni
Hi all,
Does anyone have a link they could post of David Copperfield doing this?

Best,

Sileeni.................................................
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Great Presentation Drew!

Your brother in LA,
Bill Thomas Smile
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Lance Burton did a version with a teepee and head dress. Anyone remember that? It was done very well. I do like Drew's creative "warehouse" choice. Much more modern than a native american theme bump.

Illucifer, I won't lambast you but I hope you can appreciate most magic is sub-par. Drew's presentation was flawless, creative and extremely entertaining. With out being edited down to look good. I agree that it was perfunctory if you mean effortless. That is the way a show should be. Smooth. Not one single hitch.

Drew is a hard working pro and deserves everything he has worked so hard for.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Peter, It's in great condition and it's one of 3 that Willie Kennedy had built for Doug and it was designed by Jim Steinmeyer. It was cool getting to touch and look at something that Doug had...it even has buttons built into the top to signal the girls when to come out.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Rotten,

I do appreciate that most magic is sub-par. I disagree that Drew's presentation was flawless, and I don't say that with even an ounce of haughtiness. There are very few magic performances that I would describe as flawless, including my own. I, personally, did not find it highly entertaining. Just my opinion.

It's a great trick, to be sure. I just wasn't crazy about this presentation. It's forgettable to me. Again, that's me. My opinion. Not the one I expect everyone else to have, though some will.

Drew absolutely deserves everything he's worked for. Did I say that he doesn't?
He did a fine job. I just didn't find it to be particularly memorable. However, I also appreciate the fact that I am a magician and have seen this effect many times in many ways, and that does indeed taint my perspective somewhat.

That said, I can point to several performances of this trick which I find to be very entertaining, most of which were mentioned above (Doug Henning, David Copperfield, and Lance Burton to be specific). Lance's fools a lot of magicians at the very end, as well (when the teepee is pulled apart, leaving only the frame).

The Pendragons routine is the same approach as Drew's (Tobin's Proteus), but Jonathan has a distinct advantage he takes advantage of. One that, before it was well-known, fooled many a conjuror. Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcmtT-09Abw
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Let me add, after my last post, I went and watched the performance again on YouTube. This time, I must say, I enjoyed it a lot more.

I'm never crazy about the scantily-clad women stereotypes in magic, but this does reinforce what I certainly know to be true; classic effects are classic for a reason - because they're solid and strong. A solid performance of great piece of magic = mystified and entertained audience.

No question, the audience and the judges loved it. And I like it a lot more than I did the first go 'round.

And the best part (for me, anyway) is that they're all being fooled by that wonderful system of invisibility first put to use by magicians in the 19th century. Beautiful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Drew Thomas on America's Got Talent (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL