The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » An ha lim's great card manipulation (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 15:25, elliotstalter wrote:
I agree with all that dove boy just said, But still think he missed the main reason he didn't win. It's because he performed his b*****lms and interlock productions so fast that the inventors of them would roll over in their graves! He performed the slow twirling productions in the middle beautifully but ruined the interlock and ba****lm productions because of his jerky, spastic movements. Any competition is looking for a manipulator with an everlasting exellent quality.

I somewhat agree with this. It seemed like he was nervous. So much so that the productions were too fast. He normally goes fast (and I believe it is appropriate where he does), but either he was just nervous or trying too hard. I have seen him several times and he is spot on. As to competition looking for a manipulator with excellent quality - he is the most excellent on the planet. He has won just about every other contest he has entered and for a good reason. I think he just had an off day.
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Peter, I agree with you. He did look nervous or trying too hard. His movements were jerkier than usual, revealing 'things' I have never seen with him before (I have only seen video - not been fortunate enough to see him live). He really appeared 'uneasy' for some reason.

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I think his performance was wonderful! I was following the Jeff McBride webcasts on streetofcards and he was all the talk. Most people who Jeff spoke to thought An ha lim was going to win the Grand Prix in stage, based on his performance.

Ron
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I predicted him to win Grand Prix. I have seen him live several times as well as several video performances and every single time he has received a standing ovation. To me it appeared that he was not his normal self on that FISM video.
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Not that it matters or there is anything wrong with it but I just thought I'd point out that the music is the same music that Sterling dietz uses for his card manip routine. I'm not sure which one came first but An Ha Lim is definitely older.

Yehuda
MagicianSilver
View Profile
New user
Lynden, Washington
50 Posts

Profile of MagicianSilver
Hey all,
Even I was surprised that we had the same music. I saw him for the first time (and competed against him) at the World Magic Seminar last year. I've been using the song "Explosive" for four years now, ever since I first started in magic. I was a huge fan of the Bond girls even before I was a magician. All of their music is great!

I recently saw An Ha Lim at FISM this year. His moves are incredible and his connection to the audience is great. But his performance wasn't as good as I saw it at WMS or IBM/SAM.

Sterling
http://www.MagicSterling.com
"If you're not living on the edge. Then you are taking up too much space.
www.MagicSterling.com
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
That was beautiful, almost had me in tears...
LaurensMalter
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
131 Posts

Profile of LaurensMalter
His performance was GREAT, but for me personally.. a little too fast. I know what he's doing and what the name of the production is what is happening, but because it is so fast I doubt everyone in the audience fully understands what he is doing. He got a well deserved reaction, but if he'd slow down just a little than he's get an even better one.. Just my opinion.

I especially liked the energy he puts in the performance, very nice!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I actually liked the fast pace of the first video of the thread. Excellent act!
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
I see a lot of people saying his act needs to slow down... this is actually not the full routine. It starts with a peaceful type melody and some mystifying slow/beautiful maipulations with just a few cards.. then at the half way point (about 4 minutes in) it turns to this rock music and becomes like brute force mainupulating. I think the Combo is incredible!
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The definition of the word Magic. From reading these posts, some do not know the meaning of the word magic. So I thought I would post it straight form the dictionary.

mag·ic

mag·ic [májjik]
n
1. conjuring tricks: conjuring tricks and illusions that make apparently impossible things seem to happen, usually performed as entertainment

2. inexplicable things: a special, mysterious, or inexplicable quality, talent, or skill
watched the dancer's feet work their magic

3. supposed supernatural power: a supposed supernatural power that makes impossible things happen or gives somebody control over the forces of nature.

Magic is used in many cultures for healing, keeping away evil, seeking the truth, and for vengeful purposes.

4. practice of magic: the use of supposed supernatural power to make impossible things happen

adj
1. of or for magic: relating to magic or used in the working of magic
a magic potion

2. particularly important: particularly important or desirable
reach the magic number of 100 points

vt (past and past participle mag·icked, present participle mag·ick·ing, 3rd person present singular mag·ics)
subject something to magic: to make somebody or something seem to appear, disappear, change, or move by using magic

[14th century. Via Old French magique < Greek magikē < magos (see magus)]

like magic inexplicably, as though by magic rapidly without obstacles or difficulties

The Magic Mountain, a novel (1924) by German writer Thomas Mann.
It describes young engineer Hans Castorp's lengthy stay in a Swiss TB clinic. The clinic is a microcosm of European society at the time of World War I, with a cosmopolitan group of patients reflecting a range of contemporary political, philosophical, and scientific viewpoints.
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Smile Smile Smile
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
As a manipulator with over 30 years performance experience, I'm going to offer my take on the OP's posted video of An Ha Lim. This is solely based upon what I viewed in the posted video as I have not seen him live nor have I watched any other of his videos.

I agree with JNeal. I agree with Bill Hegbli.

The good: I like his "style" and his choreography for the most part. I get that he is going for high energy, crispness and precision movement. He has practiced skill and offers much variety in his productions.

The bad: Flash, flash, flash. Worst interlock I've ever seen. Many of his fans are inexcusably sloppy. He's telegraphing so many productions it made me cringe. I'm hopeful his technical skill has improved since this was recorded or that he was just having a very off day. Pro viewpoint: When you're on an international TV show, you should never have an off day.

This spot is all spectacle and low magic. Where's the mystery, the suspense, the wonder, the magic? Where is the theatre?

Conclusion: I can only surmise that those of you praising this clip are simply suffering from skill envy.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Manipulation acts leave me cold. There is usually no characterization nor is there a personality; the two most important ingredients that a magician must have to connect to people. All I see is a juggler onstage producing things, and sometimes too fast. Manipulation acts have also devolved into a gymnastics competition with added or deducted points for fan evenness and so on.

Cardini played the character of a slightly tipsy aristocrat who becomes annoyed at the unexpected magic that his happening all around him. Norm Nielsen and Channing Pollock skipped this part and performed straight manipulation, but at least they slowed down enough so that one could experience the mystery of seemingly empty hands before the productions. Nielsen would also express surprise when the cards emerged from his mouth.

When Norm produced coins from the air, he would first look at a spot somewhere in front of him, and reach for that as if he was really plucking an imaginary hanging coin. I don't see that with these manipulators. They just hold out their arms and produce cards with machine gun like speed without even searching the air first for the spot where the cards supposedly come from.

The message of this new wave of manipulators seems to be: "Look how good I am". But that's difficult to appreciate when one has fallen asleep.
Tally_NSA
View Profile
Loyal user
Essex, UK
222 Posts

Profile of Tally_NSA
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2016, Leo H wrote:
Manipulation acts leave me cold. There is usually no characterization nor is there a personality; the two most important ingredients that a magician must have to connect to people. All I see is a juggler onstage producing things, and sometimes too fast. Manipulation acts have also devolved into a gymnastics competition with added or deducted points for fan evenness and so on.

Cardini played the character of a slightly tipsy aristocrat who becomes annoyed at the unexpected magic that his happening all around him. Norm Nielsen and Channing Pollock skipped this part and performed straight manipulation, but at least they slowed down enough so that one could experience the mystery of seemingly empty hands before the productions. Nielsen would also express surprise when the cards emerged from his mouth.

When Norm produced coins from the air, he would first look at a spot somewhere in front of him, and reach for that as if he was really plucking an imaginary hanging coin. I don't see that with these manipulators. They just hold out their arms and produce cards with machine gun like speed without even searching the air first for the spot where the cards supposedly come from.

The message of this new wave of manipulators seems to be: "Look how good I am". But that's difficult to appreciate when one has fallen asleep.

1. I agree with you about Norm Nielson. He was the inspiration for me to become a manipulator. Norm's manipulations were perfect. I first saw him on the Paul Daniels Show in 1978 on British TV, and I was instantly "sold" on becoming a manipulator too. I went on to win the IBM British Ring Shield Competition for Manipulation in 1988.

2. I don't agree with your sweeping statements about all manipulators coming across as nothing more than jugulars is going too far. There are some out there that do pure magic. Take Yu Ho Jin and Mike Chao for example. They work really slow, and the magic just happens. There is hardly a hint of finger flinging when they work.

FYI - when I first saw the OP video of An ha lim, I thought it was a young Sanada! They look so alike!
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2016, inhumaninferno wrote:
As a manipulator with over 30 years performance experience, I'm going to offer my take on the OP's posted video of An Ha Lim. This is solely based upon what I viewed in the posted video as I have not seen him live nor have I watched any other of his videos.

I agree with JNeal. I agree with Bill Hegbli.

The good: I like his "style" and his choreography for the most part. I get that he is going for high energy, crispness and precision movement. He has practiced skill and offers much variety in his productions.

The bad: Flash, flash, flash. Worst interlock I've ever seen. Many of his fans are inexcusably sloppy. He's telegraphing so many productions it made me cringe. I'm hopeful his technical skill has improved since this was recorded or that he was just having a very off day. Pro viewpoint: When you're on an international TV show, you should never have an off day.

This spot is all spectacle and low magic. Where's the mystery, the suspense, the wonder, the magic? Where is the theatre?

Conclusion: I can only surmise that those of you praising this clip are simply suffering from skill envy.

I am Definitely suffering from skill envy haha! I admit it. I will say like many others have said his act is far from perfect. I try to enjoy and watch but as far as learning from the video I mostly take away from it a determination to better conceal my own steals ect. there is one point when he literally just reaches in his pocket with no real misdirection but pointing at the cards falling, I view that as a reminder to better prepare my own routines so I have good misdirection at the times I need it. Just my thoughts but I am also probably the most inexperienced person on this thread (Maybe the Café...? Smile haha) so ignore at your own pleasure Smile

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood.
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
I also think its fair to say that the act is easy to be picked apart by Magicians...
but I have watched it with several different laymen and I can say for certainty that they are usually left speechless by it...

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
I've seen people left speechless with a TT and a silk.
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
No Offense intended but I'm not sure that's very relevant... ofc there are many effects that can accomplish the Speechless reaction.
All I meant to say is I think An Ha Lim accomplished what he wanted to with his act... considering both his accolades and the acts entertainment value. (If I didn't make that clear I apologize)

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This topic discussion is more about whether An Ha Lim is performing magic or showing his skill as a manipulator, aka juggler. A manipulator can perform magic by hiding his manipulation skill, and create wonder from the appearance, transformation, and vanish of objects.

I don't believe comments made to "tearing him apart" was intended as such, but to attempt to point out the differences between a magic manipulation performance and a straight manipulator.

That is why I posted the definition of what magic is.

Skill and demonstration of skill is not magic. It is a show off technic that demonstrates what he can do, through hard work and years of practice. In the end if he intended to perform a magic act, he forgot what magic is, and how to use his skill to create it.

We are here on a magic web site dedicated to the performance of magic, not anything else. So, as magic a performance An Ha Lim, has not created magic with his performance.
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
I definetly understand your points (and thanks for repeating cuz they went over my head the first time lol)... But respectfully I disagree with your last statement, for whatever the heck it's worth I feel laymen come away with a strong feeling they witnessed real magic (or intense sleeving XD as laymen will guess that no matter what the act lol) when they see An Ha Lim.. I understand the act maybe doesn't constitute actual magic, by definition. But for all intents and purposes it's magic.

In the words of a non magician friend of mine "I saw him reach into his pocket, but I'm like what the heck does that matter? I don't even know how he could possibly have the pocket space for that many cards, it's was like !@#$*** 5000 cards?! Like wtf?! Where did they come from?" I can't remember exact wording but that was the idea.

Anyway, my point is just my opinion and isn't more valid than yours by any stretch, it's just how I feel. Like I said we can agree to disagree.

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » An ha lim's great card manipulation (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL