The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » School of Busking USA 2009 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hello my American friends
I call upun you all Dynamike, Jhon, Scotster, Shawn, SDmagic, Todd, Danny Hustler, Atucci, ED MMreed, Epoptika, Marty, MJP, Gaddy, NurseRob, Magic Tad, Evildan, Kasper, Peasbody, Gaddy, Kasper, Tabman, Great Zoobini, Tian, Scott, Brian, Jimmy Talksalot and the list could go on.

In one way all another you have contacted me to suggest diffrent places in the US we could bring the School. You have asked for dates and locations. Now I need to hear more from you.

If you have proposed a location tell me more, perhaps you have the perfect venue for us, then contact us in private.

If I have not mentioned your name don't worry just get involved.

The School of Busking is ready to go serving buskers world wide.

Perhaps you and your city can be the perfect host, I need to hear from you.

Mario
MJP
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of MJP
Mario,

I just PM'd you.

Cheers!
Jeff
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Anywhere in the south. I am in East Tennessee and there may be a few opportunities in this area but it would have to be cleared by the cities. I can check if it sounds feasible.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Somewhere in the eastern USA. Close to Sweden Smile

HÃ¥kan
:wavey:
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
New Orleans would be a good choice for the short list, preferably when it gets a bit cooler down there.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
San Francisco has a number of advantages. It has a year-round tourist season, a very amenable "free speech" attitude (with no "permitting" nonsense required), a distinct history of street performing, plenty of pitches, and a pretty decent system of international hostels, which can afford some street performers inexpensive lodging.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
Maybe Chicago/Milwaukee/some place in the midwest?
trombley
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of trombley
Canada!
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Chicago area would probably work well, even Nashville which is within 600 miles of 3/4 of the US population.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Three more reasons to advocate San Francisco: San Francisco's got a world class magic shop, Frank Starsinic lives near by and can probably hook people up with all the awesome specialized busking gear they didn't even realize they needed, and San francisco's also got ME, who's willing to help with the coordination and planning Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
I second San Francisco,2nd biggest city in the USA with tons of magician. I know for a fact that I will sign up if you guys come to San Francisco. My friends are also interested and I'm pretty sure they would jump abroad as well. Also there are a plenty of buskers here in San Francisco, and we all can gain so much from these workshops
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
I'd actually be okay with San Francisco. Thank God for Amtrak!
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
East coast some where between Baltimore and Philidelphia. Love to see ya
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Mario, I would like to know if a school for buskers in the USA would also help the up and coming learner develop the skills and strategies for creating a venue or pitch where one does not exist. Aside from the established and well known areas like Key West, New Orleans, SF, etc, how could the guy in Nebraska, or Kansas, or Oklahoma, or any other uninitiated, culturally lacking locale establish a new pitch?
Or could there ever be hope for a City like Dallas or Ft Worth. Doc Andrews has about as much street cred as anyone here, and I think he would agree that this town is not street performer friendly.

If you are going to inspire an army of American Buskers, wouldn't it be cool to arm them with the capability of conquering new territory.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Yes it does I have been doing that for yrs. I love busking where no busker has busked befor, but if a town is not workable then it is not workable.
Mario
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
249 Posts

Profile of Michael K
I'd agree to the East Coast. And more so the mid-part by Pennsylvania Smile
Philly would be very interesting.

Michael

Quote:
On 2009-07-07 14:58, Magic Tad wrote:
East coast some where between Baltimore and Philidelphia. Love to see ya
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
All coasts...east, west, third
Army of magic buskers? Smile
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I would definately "third" San Francisco. Many places to work, some venues have a stage like the Cannery.

Charlie
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Isn't it obvious? San Diego.... enough said...

sdmagic
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Well Mario, I guess you'll just have to go to both the East and West Coasts! Shoot, make it a USA tour! I can understand though if you choose the East Coast. Much closer!

To address Nurse Rob's question of exploring new territory, I think you have to approach it from "what's in it for us" aspect when dealing with city/town governments. Busking automatically conjures up negative images like "poolhall" or "cardroom."

What to look for are cities/towns who are in the process or should renovate their old downtown areas, specifically downtown areas that have lost business to shopping malls and the big box stores. Convince them that creating an atomsphere for shoppers is the important thing. What is going to increase foot traffic? What business owners don't want are guys with cardboard signs who haven't bathed in a month. Emphasize that when busking is monitored, it can be a real plus for the venue once a reputation has been established. Encourage them to investigate successful models like Burmingham, VT, or Boulder, CO. In fact, the folks in Burmingham told me they would be more than happy to talk to planning committees or those in charge and share how they made busking a positive influence in their towns. I know this goes against the attitude "this is a free country and I'll put my table on any street corner I please," but I can't help thinking a different approach would be better than swimming upstream all the time. If Jimmy Talksalot is going to see his dream realized of busking being a respectable occupation, perhaps we need to change something?

Wayne
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » School of Busking USA 2009 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL