The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Window" by David Stone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Yeah... They are not difficult at all to make.

Actually... you can make them look better than the gimmick that you get from E. There was an aspect of the E gimmick that I found rather cheap. But with a little care you can improve upon it.

I was a little dissapointed with all the "Precision gimmick, Hours to make, Not easy, and Costly" stuff. I've been making these for quite a while with the exeption of one element. I can knock one out in an hour or so and it won't cost that much at all.

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
^^^ What I did when I posted something like this a while back, I put some rediculous name so not everyone can find it but only us Magi'c from the link posted.

Thanks for sharing, now that I know with some time I can make my own, $75-$80 does not so bad now Smile
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
I just received it and the whiner in me is totally silent....

This is a thing of terrifying beauty Smile
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Interesting to hear again that the prop can be remade. The retailer should've pointed this out - would've been a good sales feature.

Now, has anyone performed this in the real world? How's the reaction & how effective was the performance?
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of smacks183
I just got this and quite like it, but have one issue. I would like the spectator to verify that the card is actually on the outside of the window. However, at least with the gaff I received, I think that if the spectator gets close enough or steps to the side enough during the verification, that he/she will figure out that it is a gaff. any one have this problem? suggestions? thanks.
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
I ordered Window via PayPal
from David's French website
(I live in Germany) about
a week ago and have neither
heard nor received anything
as of yet. Only my confirmation
from PayPal that I've paid.
And that was from 3rd July.
Sure hope it comes soon.
magic168
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magic168
So, I just got this, and I'm a little baffled at what I'm missing here. I think it's "clever" but my gimmick clearly can be seen from the side pre-and-post change. I don't think the gimmick is made very well...I can't make it lie flat, and like I said, anybody off-center from direct view will CLEARLY see "something."

Am I the only one?
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
For 70 bucks one might think better quality control and maybe a few extras. passing on this one
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of smacks183
Magic168, I have the same concern. something can definitely been see from the side. I just tap of the glass to show that the card is truly on the other side. I would love for them to inspect and verify, but a step to the side reveals it is a gimmick. not sure if we have defective gimmicks or this is the nature of the gimmick.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Hmm, there are plenty of side-ish angles on the demo, and those cards seem to lie flat.
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
Just put wax at the bottom to make it stay to the glass 'lightly'
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 00:29, Suux88 wrote:

Are your home-made gimmicks laying flat without the wax, and do you feel it is possible to improve upon the gimmick (As you made em)?

Thanks Smile
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 02:19, Piz wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 00:29, Suux88 wrote:

Are your home-made gimmicks laying flat without the wax, and do you feel it is possible to improve upon the gimmick (As you made em)?

Thanks Smile

my homemade gimmicks lie flat!
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
The gimmicks that E put out are kind of on the cheap side. They pretty much slapped them together.

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of smacks183
I am not really concerned with the card lying flat- I doubt the spectator will care that it doesn't hang flat.

The bigger concern is that side views show that it is a gaff. Do other people's gimmicks not have this side issue problem? If so, any ideas? Thanks.
Jason Brumbalow
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Jason Brumbalow
Voldermort,

Not passing the buck here, however the gimmicks were not made by Ellusionist. Jean-Luc went through extensive quality control and threw out close to 2000 gimmicks that did not fit the standard of quality that most people here understand what Jean-Luc Bertrand's quality standards are, and that is, exceptional.

That be known, please understand that we will gladly right any situation with a faulty gimmick. We cannot fix what we are not aware of, so please send us a note at http://www.ellusionist.com/contacts or call toll Free: 866.244.2426

If there is anyone with a gimmick where the edges do not line up properly, or the card is not laying flat, we have a troubleshooting guide to remedy the problem in mild cases that we will immediately send you. In more severe cases, we will gladly replace the gimmick for you.

Best wishes,
Jason
Jason Brumbalow

Director of Product Development, Murphy's Magic

jasonb[at]murphysmagic.com
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I stand corrected Jason. I thought perhaps that E was manufacturing the gimmick. I apologize.

There was only one element to the gimmick that I found cheap and it was on the back of the card, never seen. That is what gave me the "Slapped together" impression. (I'm perhaps too picky).

There was no problem with the alignment or anything of that sort. I will say however that I thought the gimmick made and inordinate amount of noise. At least compared to the ones that I make.

V.
"Flight from death"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mine should be here today and I'll report back on the gaff and dvd.

Great review here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=109&2
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jason sent me one of these to look at and it arrived today. I watched the dvd and I enjoyed it with just music and no speaking. The dvd is beautiful to watch with lots of ideas on how to perform this.

The gimmick that came with mine is the way it should be. I played around with it, but didn't get the genius of it until I watched the dvd.

Being a signed card nut, I immediately started working on that. I 'think' you could have them select a card and have them sign the back and you....sign the face. Lose the card and.....the card in the window changes to the signed card. You remove it and give it to them as a souvenir.

It would require, the way I'm working on it, to have a DB on the deck, with the actual signed card under it, Now, you'd place the gimmick on top, turn it all over the signed card ( the back with their sig ) could just be slid off and handed out.

Anyway, I like playing around with ideas like that, but the effect as is needs nothing more. The card, behind the glass changes and it's amazing to see.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 13:59, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Jason sent me one of these to look at and it arrived today. I watched the dvd and I enjoyed it with just music and no speaking. The dvd is beautiful to watch with lots of ideas on how to perform this.

The gimmick that came with mine is the way it should be. I played around with it, but didn't get the genius of it until I watched the dvd.

Being a signed card nut, I immediately started working on that. I 'think' you could have them select a card and have them sign the back and you....sign the face. Lose the card and.....the card in the window changes to the signed card. You remove it and give it to them as a souvenir.

It would require, the way I'm working on it, to have a DB on the deck, with the actual signed card under it, Now, you'd place the gimmick on top, turn it all over the signed card ( the back with their sig ) could just be slid off and handed out.

Anyway, I like playing around with ideas like that, but the effect as is needs nothing more. The card, behind the glass changes and it's amazing to see.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the noise and angle issues.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Window" by David Stone (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL