The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Window" by David Stone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 19:51, RooMan wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 13:59, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Jason sent me one of these to look at and it arrived today. I watched the dvd and I enjoyed it with just music and no speaking. The dvd is beautiful to watch with lots of ideas on how to perform this.

The gimmick that came with mine is the way it should be. I played around with it, but didn't get the genius of it until I watched the dvd.

Being a signed card nut, I immediately started working on that. I 'think' you could have them select a card and have them sign the back and you....sign the face. Lose the card and.....the card in the window changes to the signed card. You remove it and give it to them as a souvenir.

It would require, the way I'm working on it, to have a DB on the deck, with the actual signed card under it, Now, you'd place the gimmick on top, turn it all over the signed card ( the back with their sig ) could just be slid off and handed out.

Anyway, I like playing around with ideas like that, but the effect as is needs nothing more. The card, behind the glass changes and it's amazing to see.



I'd love to hear your thoughts on the noise and angle issues.


Let me work with it this weekend and get back to you.

For those that raised the noise issue, would noise be that much of a problem in performance? I'm thinking perhaps noise could be a benefit or not even matter? I mean, it's behind glass and the card does change. Why would noise dilute the effect?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 20:45, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 19:51, RooMan wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-10 13:59, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Jason sent me one of these to look at and it arrived today. I watched the dvd and I enjoyed it with just music and no speaking. The dvd is beautiful to watch with lots of ideas on how to perform this.

The gimmick that came with mine is the way it should be. I played around with it, but didn't get the genius of it until I watched the dvd.

Being a signed card nut, I immediately started working on that. I 'think' you could have them select a card and have them sign the back and you....sign the face. Lose the card and.....the card in the window changes to the signed card. You remove it and give it to them as a souvenir.

It would require, the way I'm working on it, to have a DB on the deck, with the actual signed card under it, Now, you'd place the gimmick on top, turn it all over the signed card ( the back with their sig ) could just be slid off and handed out.

Anyway, I like playing around with ideas like that, but the effect as is needs nothing more. The card, behind the glass changes and it's amazing to see.



I'd love to hear your thoughts on the noise and angle issues.


Let me work with it this weekend and get back to you.

For those that raised the noise issue, would noise be that much of a problem in performance? I'm thinking perhaps noise could be a benefit or not even matter? I mean, it's behind glass and the card does change. Why would noise dilute the effect?



Great. Look forward to your review. Unless the thing really "talks", I'd agree...the noise issue seems like it would be easy to overcome. Angles and the laying flat issues concern me more.
magicpatoche
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of magicpatoche
I have a totally different question. Still waiting for my copy of Window.
Would you say that Window could be used with Identity? At the end of identity, put the marked card behind the glass and change it into named card. Could that be done?

P
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
No, magicpatoche, that could not be done.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Ok... Heres a tip when performing window that I just learned the hard way.

This seems like common sense but, When you are doing the "Transposition" from one card to the card on the other side of the glass, make sure that you watch the reflection from the card you are holding up to the glass. I wasn't paying attention and one of my spectators got a look at the reflection of the card that was in my hand. So they saw that the card I was holding had already changed and just happened to match the (Unchanged) card on the other side of the window.

Thankfully he did not say anything until after the effect was over. And he was still blown away by the change.

This kind of stuff will definatly make you feel stupid though.


V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
desmit6
View Profile
New user
Litchfield Park, AZ
5 Posts

Profile of desmit6
Very good advice V - that's something I hadn't even thought about in practicing/rehearsing.
Thank you for saving me (or us) from a potentially embarrassing mistake in a live setting.

Dave
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Even Dracula forgets about the reflection issue. Don't beat yourself up.

I haven't performed this yet, but I like Window very much.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1891 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Can the spectator retrieve the card or is that our job?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Slyhand,

That's going to be your job I'm afraid.


V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm "working" on a routine. I'd place a silk ( via a VERRRRY small bit of wax ) on the window and say I'm going to place a prediction on the other side.

They choose a card...I pull down the silk in my worst overly dramatic fashion and...they now show their card. It doesn't match. OUCH!

I go to them in disbelief to look at their card and...Top change it and place it back in their hands and ask them to cover it with their other hand.

Go to the window and....change it and now they have the original window card in their hand.

That might be overkill, too much, dumb, I don't know. But...I'm having allot of fun working on this and playing with it.

Window is a fantastic effect in my opinion.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Chris, what's your take on angles and issues related to the gimmick, i.e., how it looks from varying distances?
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I recieved mine yesterday and played around with it a bit. I'm having some of the same issues others have stated. The gimmick isn't perfectly aligned and it doesn't lay flat. That being said, I think it just needs to be worked with a little bit. Playing around with it last night, it really does look like real magic.

I think the angles can't be dealt with and I may even make some gimmicks of my own to see if I can improve the quality a bit.

While $70 isn't cheap, I'm glad the price was set a little higher to keep it out of the hands of the curious.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2009-07-14 10:07, Mario Orsini wrote:

I think the angles can't be dealt with and I may even make some gimmicks of my own to see if I can improve the quality a bit.



Do you mean "can be dealt with" or "can't be dealt with"?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-07-14 09:34, bugjack wrote:
Chris, what's your take on angles and issues related to the gimmick, i.e., how it looks from varying distances?


I don't see an angle issue form the sides. But, I don't have the best eyesite, so those that do hopefully will chime in.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-07-14 10:33, bugjack wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-14 10:07, Mario Orsini wrote:

I think the angles can't be dealt with and I may even make some gimmicks of my own to see if I can improve the quality a bit.





Do you mean "can be dealt with" or "can't be dealt with"?


My bad, I need to proofread before posting. It should have read CAN be dealt with. Thanks for asking me to clarify.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1604 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
After watching the DVD and look at the props provided, I am thinking it will be better to make my own prop for this.

The problem is, I cannot destroy my very own one to see what are between the gaff (although the explanation already told us what is inside, but that is only the material, we need to get the size measurement of that too right?), anyone who are familiar with this long history gaff are most welcome to PM me what material I need to make the mechanism of the card.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
HI ALL
I JUST THOUGHT OF THE CRAZIEST IDEA USING WINDOW and hopefully YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE ME and haven't come up with it yet ;P

Window can actually work as a card through window by.... BLACK ART!

You can just cut out a black card and stick it to the face of the card that originally shows, at night it would look like nothing, do the move and then bam, card appears!

What's crazier is, and discrepancies of edges will be concealed by black art and the night sky!

For those of us who know how to make the gaff
Use black art and do a fu*en insane CARD THROUGH WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
synth_infusion
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of synth_infusion
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 00:43, Suux88 wrote:
HI ALL
I JUST THOUGHT OF THE CRAZIEST IDEA USING WINDOW and hopefully YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE ME and haven't come up with it yet ;P

Window can actually work as a card through window by.... BLACK ART!

You can just cut out a black card and stick it to the face of the card that originally shows, at night it would look like nothing, do the move and then bam, card appears!

What's crazier is, and discrepancies of edges will be concealed by black art and the night sky!

For those of us who know how to make the gaff
Use black art and do a fu*en insane CARD THROUGH WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Very nice thinking there!
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1233 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Depending on the distance (and the angle) where the spectator(s) are, there can be indeed a slight "angle-issue".
The use of a silk or cloth to wipe the window (like some examples on the DVD) resolves this problem entirely.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1233 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
You can just cut out a black card and stick it to the face of the card that originally shows, at night it would look like nothing, do the move and then bam, card appears!



It sounds like a brilliant idea. If, in reality, there is indeed nothing to see, it becomes a TRUE CTW ! Have you tried it already in reality?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Window" by David Stone (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL