The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Window" by David Stone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1801 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2009-07-13 21:40, slyhand wrote:
Can the spectator retrieve the card or is that our job?

No they cant, the card is gaffed to the hilt Smile This has same problems as any other card thru window has... It must be prepared in advance, the card cant be really retrieved by any other than magician, you need a window and so on... Kaos still remains to be the "worker" method for Card thru window along with simple torn corner and dublicate.

Juha-Matti
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 00:43, Suux88 wrote:
HI ALL
I JUST THOUGHT OF THE CRAZIEST IDEA USING WINDOW and hopefully YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE ME and haven't come up with it yet ;P

Window can actually work as a card through window by.... BLACK ART!

You can just cut out a black card and stick it to the face of the card that originally shows, at night it would look like nothing, do the move and then bam, card appears!

What's crazier is, and discrepancies of edges will be concealed by black art and the night sky!

For those of us who know how to make the gaff
Use black art and do a fu*en insane CARD THROUGH WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of Peter Marvey's Card Through Window. Good thinking with the *lack *rt.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Black art is hard to achieve in places other than on stage. Believe me, Ive tried.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2130 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I received Window about a week ago, courtesy of Jason over at Ellusionist. I wanted to play with it a bit before I posted anything significant.

I was really excited to get this, because the effect just looked so magical and pure from the demo video. I couldn't quite imagine how it was accomplished, and the gimmick/method were definitely not what I expected. The method is simple and clever. It really is as easy as putting a piece of tape on a card, sticking it to a window, and then waving your hand over it to change it.

The DVD is short and sweet. A quick lesson on how to use the gimmick and make the change happen, and then some different presentation ideas for using a silk, an envelope, etc to achieve the change. It's only about 15 minutes long, but it's really all you need. There are some brief written instructions inside the DVD cover that can get you up and running, but I'd recommend watching the DVD before playing with the gimmick, just to make sure you handle it properly. There are plenty of ways to adapt this and create your own presentations. Personally, I've come up with a way to use Jay Sankey's Omnilope to bring the Envelope variation to a bit of a higher level.

Is it a card thru window? I guess in the strictest sense that we think of it, no, it's not. The main focus and highlight are definitely the change. The DVD does teach a way to have a card on your side of the window and make it penetrate if you'd like to present it that way. Frankly, I don't think it's necessary. I think the idea of having a "prediction" taped to the far side of the window at the beginning is fine. Or, you can have it pre-set on a window that's a little "out of the way" and stumble upon it after you've done your business.

Angles, Sound, and Discrepancies: I feel like my gimmick is pretty darn well made. I don't really see how it could get any better. With that said, there are some potential angle issues, so it's best to have your audience fairly dead-on with the card. If you're working for a bigger group, then one of the silk or envelope presentations is probably the best way to go. There can be a bit of noise, but in any real environment, it shouldn't be a big deal. With practice, you can definitely reduce the amount of noise. Not a concern for me at all. There is a bit of a visual oddity/discrepancy to the card after the change. I performed this for my girlfriend, who is one of my primary "test audiences" and she noticed it from a pretty fair distance. I'm not sure how to reduce this, or if it's even possible to make it less noticable due to the nature of the gimmick. When I perform this, I'll be sure to try to keep audiences at a safe distance, and then remove the card from the glass relatively quickly in order to "hand it out" for examination. Like some others are reporting, my card also doesn't quite lay flat before the change, but from what I've read in the E protected forum for the effect, this should improve with time. Also, if your audience is fairly dead-on for the performance, then it shouldn't prove to be a problem.

I have David Stone's 2-volume DVD set, which I really like, so I definitely had high hopes for this project. It didn't disappoint. Despite some of the minor drawbacks, when looking at this based purely on effect, it's a killer. A card freakin' changes through glass with just a wave of the hand. Kudos to Stone, Bertrand, and Chatelain for coming up with this.

I'm still playing with some of the subtleties and overall presentational aspects (After all, I've only had it for a week), so I haven't done this for what I'd call real audiences yet, just my normal test audiences. Results there were good though, with people being very impressed by the change, and having no idea how it was accomplished. I'm really looking forward to using it on a more real-world level in the near future.

I'll try to get some basic performance footage taken and uploaded soon if I can.

If you're looking for a "traditional" card through window where the primary focus is the penetration through the glass, this may not be the best option. However, in the realm of impossible, smooth-as-silk color changes, this is certainly among the best. I'm also in the camp who hopes that they'll make additional gimmicks available separately, because even though I'm taking good care of it, I plan to put this thing to a lot of use!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the review. Very helpful. Quick question: are the angle issues present before and after the change, or just during it? In other words, do you have to position your audience dead on the whole time?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2130 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yup, the dead-on thing is more of a pre-change consideration. You really don't have to worry about where they are (other than a bit of distance) after the change.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1059 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
It is possible to combine it with WindoMation!!

Imagine a card appears right behind a window.. it is the spectators choosen card!
it passed visually through the window on the other side..

let another spectator choose a card and let it change directly behind the window..

now let the cards dissapear and you have a strange mystic wonder!

possibilities are endless.. that is the ONLY CTW EFFECT I WILL PERFORM ever!

:applause:
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
Quote:
On 2009-07-17 10:24, ArtIn wrote:

Imagine a card appears right behind a window.. it is the spectators choosen card!

let another spectator choose a card and let it change directly behind the window..

... are you sure
it seems impossible to combine man
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-07-17 14:21, Suux88 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-17 10:24, ArtIn wrote:

... are you sure
it seems impossible to combine man

I agree with Suux88.

Window relies on sticky tape. In the very first place, placing the card on the windowpane using WindowMation will be difficult and if it is some how done, removing the card off the window will be impossible.

Window, in itself, is a very neat & clean effect with may possibilities. The gimmick is a very well thought out, designed & self-contained gimmick which is very easy to use.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of ventman
I received mine today and the gimmick is unworkable-especially on the upper left hand side (can't say much more without revealing anything). I hope that Ellusionist will make it right. For $70 bucks, the gimmicks should have gone out as perfect as possible. The error on my gimmick is really bad and quite noticable.
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
Quote:
On 2009-07-21 23:10, ventman wrote:
I received mine today and the gimmick is unworkable-especially on the upper left hand side (can't say much more without revealing anything). I hope that Ellusionist will make it right. For $70 bucks, the gimmicks should have gone out as perfect as possible. The error on my gimmick is really bad and quite noticable.

I have been on the fence about ordering this and this post does not help Smile
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
I ordered mine on July third direct from their company in France.
After about a week it hadn't arrived so I sent them an email.
Jean-Luc answered very quickly and said he check into it.
a few days later it still wasn't here so I wrote again and he promised
to send another one to me. About a week later they both arrived
at the same time- one sent on July 4th and the other on the 14th!
So obviously it was a problem with the mail or Zoll (customs)
and not with Close Up Magic. They sent to me immediately.

Ok, so I wrote to Jean-Luc (a very pleasant person to talk to)
offering to send back one of the unopened packages.
He told me to keep it and make someone happy (isn't that great?).
So I've sent it to a young lady I know who loves the demo but has
Very limited financial resources. And I know she is very, very Happy!

Thank you, Jean-Luc, it is a pleasure doing business with you. Smile
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of ventman
A quick update. I filled out a ticket with ellusionist regarding the gimmick. They asked me to send a few photos of the problem. In short, I've just received an email that they are going to send a new gimmick. I'll update you on the quality of that once I have received it.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
If you want to use Suux88's idea, you can combine it with Dave Forrest's card vanish from his CTW and you'd have a killer card through window. That is, if Suux88's idea actually works. It would look like you openly palm the card off of the deck, swipe it against the window and it just passes through.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
My gimmick is fine, but I ordered a couple of back-ups today because this is such an amazing revelation. Very pricey ($34.95 from Ellusionist), but worth it - at least to me. I don't think it's ethical to buy a gaff from someone other than JL or Ellusionist.

JMHO.
Robert
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of ventman
I received my replacement gimmick this morning (fast service) and it is perfect. This is a wonderful effect and I'm quite pleased with Ellusionist's customer service. Now the fun begins.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1059 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Suux88 and Ustaad,

another magicians friend told this to me.
he manipulated something at the windowgimmick. don't know if he maybe sticked double sided tape to the windomation gimmick? I really belive him.. he is a ctw maniac.
I will ask him for his setting.

best regards
Thomas Burkhart
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Thomas Burkhart
It may be a bit off topic of a review, but I would like to know, where you really can perform this trick?? I think this is the same problem with all CTW Tricks.

The effect on the demo really killed me too, but now I only think about where would I be able to use it really.

So I would like to know from the working magicians here, how and where they use this sort of tricks
Check out my new blog: http://www.escamoteur.de
You find there reviews, tipps and my thoughts about magic.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-08-06 08:38, Thomas Burkhart wrote:
It may be a bit off topic of a review, but I would like to know, where you really can perform this trick?? I think this is the same problem with all CTW Tricks.

The effect on the demo really killed me too, but now I only think about where would I be able to use it really.

So I would like to know from the working magicians here, how and where they use this sort of tricks

Any place with a window....Smile

I've only 'performed it once so far. It was at a walk around gig this past weekend. The person had patio doors with large glass panes and blinds covering them. Before it began, I did my set-up and closed the blinds. When I was ready to perform, I opened them and then opened the door to retrieve the "card" from the outside.

I agree you can't perform it everywhere/anytime but with a little bit of thought you'll find plenty of places and opportunties to use it.
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
You can also do this as a straight transposition effect and not a card through window. Here is a way to do it that requires no advanced preparation.

Have the gimmick in the deck with the "normal looking" short edge pointing towards the spec. Hold the deck face up and force the gimmicked card. Slide it off the deck and tape it to the window, have them choose the second card, and then do the visual transposition.

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Window" by David Stone (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL