The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 2 year old killed by 8 foot burmese python... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
More bad press for snakes.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529709,00.html
I have one of these beasties that is about 10 feet long. The 8'x3' cage has three locks on each door and the windows are all made of 1/4" bulletproof lexan.
This snake was being kept in an unlocked glass aquarium about 1/2 the size needed for a snake this big. It had escaped once earlier that evening.
I am all about keeping reptiles of all sorts as pets. I have a house full of them. However...Keeping an animal of this scale requires a serious commitment most people just don't have. An accountability and awareness of the animals potential is critical.
My burm is 10 feet long and between 40 and 50 lbs. I am 5'11" and weigh a touch over 200 lbs. Despite my size advantage I still won't handle it alone. It takes two people just to unwrap it from my leg if it doesn't want to let go!
Looking at some of the pics, it looks like the snake is underfed. I could clearly see it's spine.
A hungry snake in an inadequate unlocked cage with a two year old sleeping nearby?!?
My heart goes out to the family for their loss. No child deserves that sort of death but it does sound like she deserved a better parent. The snake deserved better too.

My snake is a rescue...Probably from the same type of person that allowed the above to happen. He was malnourished, he's covered in scars and still has some health issues from being kept in a too small splinter filled cage. Someone thought it would be cool to have a giant snake...Something to impress their friends with. For goodness sake...If you want to impress someone get a big screen TV. It's cheaper and takes less maintenance. The snake was basically taken from them under the threat that if they didn't relinquish the snake they would be brought up on charges of abuse and neglect.
Now it has a nice big warm ESCAPE PROOF home. It is a good natured snake and is healing nicely. It's a living thing...Not just a prop to impress idiots.

There have been 12 deaths from pythons since 1980. Lots of bites I am sure, but deaths?
Compare that to deaths from domestic dogs and it is indeed a small number. No one hates dogs. A snake does the same thing and bam...all of the snake-o-phobics scream that they are justified.
I don't think that just anyone should have one of these beautiful creatures. Very few have the means to take care of them safely and properly...But for those of us that can and do...Idiots like these folks are even more painful to hear about.

Gwyd
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Very sad!

I agree with you Gwyd, some people are just too dang stupid to be allowed to care for animals or children!

MMc
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Both adults should be charged with negligent homicide or criminal negligence resulting in death. Not sure what charges are available in Florida, but they better be brought.

That's just ridiculous.
JohnnyDaJoker
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of JohnnyDaJoker
I recently worked for a well-known wildlife santuary in the Los Angeles area and, while I developed a love for many of these reptiles, I must agree. If you're not 100% committed to both their care and the safety of others, you have no business owning one.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Florida....what a shock. When I lived in South Georgia/Northern Florida I knew guys with big snakes who thought it was funny to put them in the crib with their babies etc to prove 'the snake won't eat him, he loves kids'. Right, snakes will eat what they can when they are hungry. I've nothing with responsible snake owners like some of you but I knew some real idiots.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 2 year old killed by 8 foot burmese python... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL