The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Does America Have Magic This Year? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I think they have tried to curve the really bad acts. There are many who enter this contest just to show how bad they truly are hoping to get on TV and someone picks them up as a side show or music video celeb. What would be awesome is a show that only had magicians and mentalists competing, now that would be a show. But then again I am biased to our entertainment over all the others.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Quote:
On 2009-07-05 22:13, aceofharts wrote:
I think they have tried to curve the really bad acts. There are many who enter this contest just to show how bad they truly are hoping to get on TV and someone picks them up as a side show or music video celeb. What would be awesome is a show that only had magicians and mentalists competing, now that would be a show. But then again I am biased to our entertainment over all the others.

Celebracadabra! ;-)
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Aceofharts they did. It was called Phenomenon(sp). Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Both Phenomenon and Celebracadabra failed to garner enough interest to make it past a single season. Idol and AGT are reaching the numbers so its likely they will stick with their formulas.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-07-05 14:29, JNeal wrote:
Is THAT why they watch soap operas? And to think I used to go to the Magic castle on Monday nights...

lol... exactly... same thing!
Ray Pierce
Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
Celebracadabra and Penom. both came across, to me, as a one season show anyone. When you think about it...How many seasons in a row can you ask celebs to make total fools out of themselves by attempting to learn a new skill in front of millions....Anyway I gotta go, Dancing With The Stars is on.
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
I for one will watch reruns of "the Gong Show" before I waste my time watching this show! It was more fair indeed.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Having done the original Gong Show, it was fun and no, I didn't get gonged. I will say that the judges would randomly gong somewha decent acts if they could come up with a good gag to justify it. It was not so much a contest, but an entertainment program first and foremost. (For those interested, I lost by 2 poiints to an old lady eating pies to music)
Ray Pierce
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
I remember you and your partner, that Popsicle Twins act was very clever.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol... Twice the magic, chilled to perfection!

Actually I did a candle vanish and dove production. I believe we had less than 60 seconds and they were auditioning on Cahauenga around the corner from Hollywood Magic. I went over one day as a goof and actually got on.
Ray Pierce
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I have to say that overall.. I am enjoying AGT this year. I have not always felt that way in the past and I cannot guarantee that I'll feel that way as the show moves forward.

I just watch it remembering that it is Television... That said, yes.. they'll re-shot and edit things to make them more dramatic. So far, I haven't seen an act that they thought was bad that I liked or an act that they thought was worth going to the next round that I didn't.. well.. maybe, the dancing clerk. She was fun and had enegy, but talent? I dunno.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2009-07-06 01:43, Nyte Dragon wrote:
Celebracadabra and Penom. both came across, to me, as a one season show anyone. When you think about it...How many seasons in a row can you ask celebs to make total fools out of themselves by attempting to learn a new skill in front of millions....Anyway I gotta go, Dancing With The Stars is on.

Phenomenon and Celebracadabra are not what I was talking about, I was talking about any magician and any mentalist compete like AGT. Phenomenon had auditions outside of the judges before the show started, and celebracadabra was for celebs to learn magic not magicians competing with each other.

How about dancing with the magicians??? hehe
This is a good thread guys. And I agree with Dodd I am starting to like this years AGT.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Any magician and any mentalist compete is NOT like AGT, their acts are pre-screened and pre-auditioned, ringers are hired - like the Pendragons - and bad acts are delibertly included - compelling backstory packages are compiled - the on-screen mix appears haphazard but is highly orchestrated. An 'any performer competeing against any performer' does not make a ratings winner, and that's what TV is all about.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
I was at one of this year's tapings in NY and all the magicians I saw were pretty horrible. In fact, one act, Pierce got the magician's assistant to admit that the act was slow moving and boring.
This particular show didn't air yet.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Quote:
On 2009-07-06 23:14, cairo wrote:
Any magician and any mentalist compete is NOT like AGT, their acts are pre-screened and pre-auditioned, ringers are hired - like the Pendragons - and bad acts are delibertly included - compelling backstory packages are compiled - the on-screen mix appears haphazard but is highly orchestrated. An 'any performer competeing against any performer' does not make a ratings winner, and that's what TV is all about.

Have you tried out or worked for the show cairo? I am sure that they find a story that they can expound upon during the audition process as that does make good TV, but to state it as you have .... well, I'm afraid that you are misinformed.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Dodd...

I'm not sure of Cairo's involvement but it's not too far off. There is a lot of pre screening. Typically by the time someone gets on air, they've been to 2 or 3 different calls and/or meetings with the casting directors and segment producers and that's when they really "encourage" their back stories. Th ones they like, they will go out after the fact and film video packages to support their story, ether bad or good. Pros are pre-selected and searched out by the casting directors and asked to come in for the auditions but don't have to wait in line like the others. The only things suspect is the term "hired". The pros go through the later process just like everyone else. They are contracted but not what I would call "hired". The rest was right on the money.
Ray Pierce
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Perhaps "hired" is the wrong word, but it's not a secret that AFTRA members are paid scale for their appearances.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
I have a relative that works on the "Got Talent" shows both here and abroad. Ray is right, there is a lot more pre and post production on this "talent show" than meets the eye. When a formula works well in one market it is often replicated in others.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
If you read between the lines, I guess that means a lonely, heavy-set, middle-aged, opera-singing, woman, will win hearts, but ultimately lose the contest.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ohhhhh baby! For those of you who saw the great performance by Marti Brill should take a look at the edited version he put on youtube to promote himself. Note the reaction, or absence of reaction, now to his 20 years in magic comment, note the new applause that wasn't there, note the comment at the end which was for another magician on another night in another city. This is the kind of guy Marti is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssSkru8PicM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Does America Have Magic This Year? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL