The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Banachek Lecture in Peoria, Il ( Review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
First off thank you to the folks who had invited Banachek to Peoria and was capable of putting this lecture on. I have been a fan of Banachek for years and was extatic to get an opportunity to see him perform and teach and if it were not for you this opportunity would not have been. Thank you.
With that being saind let me get the only negative portion of this review out of the way. The folks who set this up hopefully will learn from this experience. Not much execution seemed to go into this. When I arrived I was shocked to find it being held in such a small eatery. I wasn't that worried about it (at the time)...just suprised. I gave a quick hello to Banachek as I walked through the parking lot. I did not want to interrupt him as he was trying to get everything together for his lecture. A quick hello and went in.
The restaurant was clean and had patrons. A small room in the back was the location for the lecture. It seemed way to small for my taste and nothing was set up. Banachek and his wife Heidi suggested a few things and we rearranged the chairs, moved tables and were ready to make due with what we were given in just a few minutes. I offered to get Bannachek and his wife something to drink. Heidi asked for bottled water and the restaurant had none. So I drove down the road to purchase a few bottles and returned. They closed the room off with a partition that looked like a metal garage door...and boy...did it get hot. The entrance door to our room was broken and it went from amusing to watch Banachek try and close it after someone went through it to embarassing. Thanks goes out to the man who chose to finally sit by the door and keep it closed with his foot. The most embarassing and frustrating part was that whomever booked this...did not bother to find out the closing time of the restaurant. The lecture was for 3 hours and the restaurant closed in TWO!!! Banachek never complained. He was so humble and professional. He seemed hard pressed to try and cram three hours into two (who wouldn't)...sooo he started at 90 miles an hour. He was going so fast I could hardly take notes if I needed to...however the lecture notes were available...AND I owned the PSI series...which the majority of his material came from.His lecture included a few updates that made the material even stronger and more believable. Steve was doing a great job and I could not help but feel his pressure. What a pro.
After about an hour he gave us a quick break. We talked about the closing time again and I offered to go talk to the manager. I did. I was able to get them to let us stay 45 minutes longer while they cleaned after closing. Banachek's wife Heidi was very appreciative of the few things I was doing to help make things comfortable. She even gave me a nice gift as thanks. What a sweet heart. Anyway the best turnaround came when one of the employees at the Paradise Hotel (right across the street) who was in attendance made quick arrangements for us to continue in a banquet room. WHAT A SAVIOR!!!!!!!! The room was exactly what we needed. Large...classy, air conditioned and private. If you are reading this...THANK YOU. Heidi also gave him a nice gift to show their appreciation. It is so nice to see people showing their thanks.
Steve continued the lecture comfortably. Again, never complaining....very modest and very professional. I was even more impressed with him. I will not go into listing all the material. I don't think it is important. All of the items shown...again if you found ONE to be at your liking, if was worth the admission.
The most interesting point for me...was when Heidi burst into the lecture. She was near the front glass doors and wanted us all to go check out what she had seen. Banachek looked puzzled so it wasn't planned. He kept asking her what it was that made her interrupt...after all,he was kind of busy...lol. She kept insisting that we just follow her to look. As it turned out, it was mating season for some kind of bug. They looked like a cross betwee a dragonfly and a bee...lol. There were THOUSANDS all over the parking lot, the hotel and cars. It looked like something from a Hitchcock movie. Heidi thought it looked like a scene from Revelations. To cute. Banachek just said..."Honey, they live here, they have seen it before."
I was completely in awe of being able to see Banachek perform and learn from him. Being able to get a photo with someone I hold in high regard was icing on the cake. He is a huge inspiration. It is great to know there are people like him out there that believe in great customer service...great showmanship...and are loyal to the art. What a pleasure and an honor.

yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
Great review, I could not agree more. I learned a great deal from Banachek at that lecture. He was very gracious, as was his wife. A lot of performers that gain the notoriety that he has can become real pains, but he was very humble. The conversation after the lecture showed that he loves his art and loves to share it with others. I am glad I made it.

For those of you in cities that he will be lecturing in, it is well worth while.

Oh and one more thing, for holding the door with my foot, your welcome.

Jim
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
Thanks Jim. It was nice meeting you...we missed each other at the Jay Sankey lecture!
yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
Yea, I didn't even know Jay was in Indy. Although I doubt I would have been able to make it over there. So many good lectures and so little time to take them all in with everything else going on.
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Banachek Lecture in Peoria, Il ( Review) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL