The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Castle Audition Process (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Interesting on the no audience feedback. I personally strive on the audience reaction - as both a comedian and a musician I can gauge how well things are going based on the laughter/applause that I get from the audience. I must say that part makes me slightly nervous.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I think the most important thing for you to do is to go in with a good attitude. I've seen people get turned down merely for the fact that the committee didn't like the applicant's attitude. Maybe they were cocky or arrogant. Just be respectful and be yourself. That should be enough to get you in.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Lou Serrano
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Hey Andrew,

First of all, good luck! Sounds like you have a good attitude, and as Lou says that's the most important thing. Sounds also that you really care about it, so that's a big plus. They are used to seeing people be nervous, because for people who know and care, it is a big deal to get into the castle. But have you ever noticed how the stuff that in the past you built up as such a big deal, in retrospect seems like you built it up to much? Sometimes perhaps you might laugh at how nervous you were about something?

That's what I try to keep in mind when I'm in a big opportunity, "you only got one shot, don't f it up" kind of deal. I try to be "future me" looking back at "current me" and laughing at how I'm building it up to be bigger then it is. Keeping a realistic view of the actual situation has helped me deal with that. In this case, reality is that you DON'T HAVE TO FOOL THEM AT ALL. Not one tiny bit. You don't have to blow anyone away or even really impress them to get in. So just have fun. Anyways, if you have lots of fun, then you will own the moment instead of the moment owning you, and that's much more important then whether or not you get in on your first try.

That reminds me of something Jon Armstrong once said to me. I was down in the Hat&Hair (perhaps the same room you'll audition in), pulling my hair out while staring at some cards in utter frustration, just racking my brain, etc. Jon took one look at me and yelled, "NABIL! Magic is supposed to be FUN!!!!" I'll never forget that, and it's served me well. Smile

Anyways, don't get nervous if the judges are a bad audience for you. Same thing happens to nearly everyone. I was lucky enough to have Aldo Columbini as one of my judges, so at least he was friendly and fun. But the other two were stone faced and totally silent. It's just like practicing at home, lol. I even cracked a joke about that, but only Aldo laughed (right in Barry Price's face, which was hilarious, because Aldo was a few wines deep that night). Anyways, hope you have a good time!

Good luck,
Nabil
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thank you very much for the support and advice everyone!
My act is mainly geared for the stage...do auditions take place in different rooms depending on what you're doing? I'm not sure if my flash appearance of a lear jet will fit into the Hat & Hair downstairs Smile
I'm sure I'm probably over thinking things but that's sort of my nature. It's why I'm usually about 30 minutes early for everything, so I like going into a situation knowing what to expect so that I can be prepared.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I believe all auditions are downstairs in the pub. It's pretty much a close-up situation.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
This is directly from the Magic Castle website:
Quote:
Magician Members are magicians who are actively practicing magic either as a hobby or career. To qualify for magician membership, you will be interviewed by the Membership Committee. This is a live in-person interview, during which you will be asked a series of questions to determine your level of knowledge and interest in magic. Next, you will be asked to demonstrate some simple magic effects before the committee. You should be ready to perform a ten-minute routine in any of area of magic (such as cards, coins, ropes, mentalism, or other areas). You do not need to be a seasoned performer or highly skilled to become a Magician Member; you can also qualify for Magician Membership if you are a magic historian, scholar, or inventor.

Needless to say, my experience was extremely positive and motivating. I became a member days after I moved to Southern California, from Germany. (Inside of a year, I was performing there and I shall be again, in October).

If you live near Hollywood, it's a great place to be, whether it's to enjoy the talent every week or "talk shop" with your peers and mentors. There is only one Magic Castle and I am very proud to be a member.

BTW - The Auditions are downstairs in the Hat & Hare or Haunted Museum. ( I personally did not go down there for my membership, my induction was a unique one, but I have always seen "nervous" individuals waiting near the steps, the basement, every month).
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
How does that work though as far as stage workers are concerned? I mean I'm not doing massive Lance Burton type illusions but I like having a little room to work. I do think the Hat & Hair would work for some of the things I do but for others I'm not sure if it's the right size. I suppose I can pack smaller and come in with a briefcase and be okay. I'm answering my own question here. It does make me curious how folks do it who ARE doing the large box illusions and things of that nature (that's not me though.)

I'm looking forward to being that nervous individual at the top of the stairs soon!
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Put together a brief close up/parlour set. It doesn't need to be original or world shattering. You're auditioning to be a member not to perform.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Aww man my business card says "World Shattering!" on it. Smile
Thank you for the advice everyone. If anyone else wants to weigh in on their experience please feel free!
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
I think any more information will just make you more nervous. LOL

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Ron,

I agree Smile
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
I became a regular magician member of the Castle back in 1976, about a week after I turned 21. At the time I was a senior at UCLA and we had this little, rag tag magic club on campus. There were about six or seven of us and we all made a pact that we would audition for the Castle and become members. Back then we were told that we had to perform something in a way that would show our creativity and uniqueness. I'd developed a method for doing the razor blade swallowing trick that involved brand new blades taken out of a fresh pack. I'd worked out the routine and even used it to try out for the Gong Show, which was a big deal in those days. As an aside, the Gong Show people loved the act but ultimately decided they couldn't air it because they worried that kids at home would actually swallow razor blades! Anyway, I finally got my shot to perform before the audition committee and when I went into the room, an old man with white hair had stopped in to join the group. It was Dai Vernon. I just about wet my pants, worrying that I'd make a complete fool of myself. Instead, the whole experience was absolutely fantastic. The committee was very nice and understanding. They knew I was nervous, but could also tell that magic was a passion for me. I performed my trick and it went fine, although it was hard performing for just a few people and especially for in front of Dai Vernon. But in the end, I believe all they really wanted to know was that I cared about magic, that I'd spent time trying to make a trick my own and that I did my best. Of course the Castle needs the money and I'm sure they don't like to turn money down. But I also believe they care just as much that new members are more than just people with wallets who bought an invisible deck at Hollywood Magic and read the instructions on the walk to the front door of the Castle.

Of course, those were the days when the Castle was run by Bill Larsen and you could walk in any night and catch Peter Pit, Harry Anderson, Max Maven, Kuda Bux, the Pendragons and so many more. It was a "magical" place in so many ways and I loved just being there.

But then the Castle started changing and I began to feel that it lost a lot of its former mystique. There were, in my opinion, too many members who seemed to be there for any reason other than a love of magic and magicians. It got to the point where you couldn't even see a show in the Palace without having to almost fight your way in for a seat. So, in 2001 I let my membership go and I felt really, really sad about that.

Now I've decided I want to go back and rejoin the place that gave me so much over the years. I learned today that all I need to do is pay my dues and a small rejoining fee, and I'll be good to go. I'm hoping I'll find the "magic" there again, as I had so many years before. In the end, the Magic Castle is what we, the members, make of it. I agree with one of the earlier posts that makes the point it is our attitudes that make the difference. If our attitude is that the place is just about the bucks and nothing more, then that it what it will be. On the other hand, if we really do care about magic and we carry that attitude into the Castle with us, it will be more than a bar, restaurant and show. It will be what it was created to be; a very special place for lovers of magic and their friends.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thanks for the great response, Bagwiz. That's certainly why I want to join. Not all of my friends love magic - some find it corny and ridiculous. Others are completely thrilled by it and constantly ask me to perform something whenever I'm around. Don't get me wrong - I'm not Copperfield by any means. I think they just enjoy the art of it and the mystery. Nothing to do with the silly performer holding the deck of cards Smile

Whatever the reason, I find the castle to be a place reserved for certain people and I really want to be a part of that group. To walk around wearing that little pin on my lapel would make me proud, and when guests come in I would be happy to welcome them into a place that feels like a little piece of home...a place for friends, a place to workshop and learn, a place to perform and a place to be mystified and constantly challenged.

I'm still amazed by the folks I run into when I'm there. Just last Saturday I was in the lobby waiting to leave and I saw Shoot Ogawa. I'm a big fan of his and to be able to just walk up to him and say hello was very rewarding for me. The rest of my group had no idea who he was as they aren't students of magic, so they were curious when I immediately left them to speak to Shoot. Once we were in the car and I explained to them who he was, they were impressed. It's like a house for the celebrities of magic to gather and share their talent. I feel really lucky to have been able to go as often as I do.
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
Meeting people like Shoot Ogawa is what the Castle is all about. I haven't been in the library in years, but that was always a good place to meet people as well. Truly, the Castle has such a rich history and even though there have been the occasional low points (like the time I saw performers in every room do almost an identical cups and balls routine), it is still the only place like it in the world.

I don't know if they still do the Houdini Seance, but if they do and you can muster a group of friends, you'll have a great time. I've taken several groups to a seance at the Castle and all of them came away feeling they'd had one of the best evenings ever.

Anyway, I hope to see you there sometime. Enjoy.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I was fortunate enough to run into the man that's been doing the seance for 25 years at the castle not long ago...we were in The Magic Apple and he told me all about it. It sounds incredible!
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
The Magic Apple? Isn't that the little shop in Studio City? I've been there only once and they seemed to have a lot of good material on DVD and in books. I've heard the owner is pretty helpful, too.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Yeah, Brent Geris is the owner and a working magician. The shop is great - they advertise on here. I prefer it over other stores because it encourages magicians to hang out - there's a table in the middle of the shop and it's pretty standard to find guys gathered around doing card tricks and such. Definitely worth a visit, and right next door to Tony Clark's studio where I took lessons.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
When's your audition? They're on Mondays right?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Typically the first Monday of the month from my understanding. I'm not scheduled to audition yet - money is tight so I'm focusing on creating the best act I can before going in, since I can't really afford it right now anyway. I'm saving my pennies though!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Castle Audition Process (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL