The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Ideas for exchanging wine glasses (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I do a bit where I have a wine glass filled with broken egg pieces and then I cover it with a silk...I'd like to do a kicker of some sort where I can then pull the silk off and show the glass filled with liquid. So far all I can come up with is quickly walking behind the pre-set multiplying bottles on my table (which I have covered with a foulard until I got into that routine) and exchanging the wine glass for another one that's waiting, but it feels a little cheesy. If anyone has some ideas for this that would be amazing...that or a motivation for me to walk behind my table, which is typically behind me for most of the show.

Thanks!
Andrew
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Perhaps you could use a removable mirror glass insert. It starts with the liquid on the upstage side and the front is empty. Your egg pieces are then placed inside, and the silk is used to cover it. When the silkis removed, take the insert (and egg) with it and you have a clean glass of liquid.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Brilliant idea, Jonathan. Do you know if anyone makes such an item, or is it something I would have to construct? I'm all for making my own gimmicks whenever I can but I'm not sure if I could custom fit a mirror to the glass since I don't have the proper tools.
Perhaps some kind of a spinning action would simplify the routine, similar to the changing card in wine glass bit.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I used to have a mirror glass that had a removable insert that even had a chamber that came out with it. No idea where it is or who made it tho'.
Official Thread Killer
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
I guess it was made by Fukai
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
If you don't mind the colors, Denny's has a kids cup which has two compartments. You can't really see thru it, but the cup is double compartment.
You can place th egg shells in one side, then immediately por out liquid.
-
Make a mirror glass, is not very hard.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Removable insert mirror glasses have been around long before Fukai.

I will try to explain this idea. Take the candy factory glass. Make the insert shallow so it is about half the depth of the glass. Put a small hook on the insert that hang over the outside. Now, it will work like a budda tube load chamber. You can break the inside, hook the insert on the back of the table and pour out the liquid that was under the insert.

Look at disposable plastic parfait glasses or plastic wine glasses. They can be formed pretty easy.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Mylar or plastic mirror material is easy to find and easy to cut. silicone tub caulk works to seal any liquids and you can get plastic adhesives that will make constructing the insert rather painless
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm having trouble picturing how this would work since the egg is liquid and the class is clear...wouldn't the insert need to be enclosed to hold the egg? Is the thinking that the glass wouldn't be clear so no one would see the insert inside? My idea is to be able to somehow show the egg breaking and winding up in the glass, covering it, and when I remove the silk the egg pieces are gone and liquid is in the glass instead...or if it makes it easier perhaps the egg has been restored and the glass is clean? That would eliminate the liquid portion. If liquid sits on the other side of the insert it would need to be waterproof but also removable so I'm not sure how I would make both of those things happen.

Sorry if that's confusing!
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Richard I didn`t say Fukai was the first who made it, I just guessed that one was made by him.
Andrew you can also try to secretly fill the glass with liquid rather than taking an insert out. There are many ways how to do it in some older books.

Best,
Bojan
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Andrew,
Imagine you have a glass that is divided into two chambers separated by a clear piece of plastic ..and you have a removable insert that has the same shape as 1/2 of the glass (meaning that it is flat on one side and 1/2 a circle on the other) Now this removable insert must be slightly smaller than the half chamber it is going to fill and it should be mirror finished on the INSIDE of the insert (the side that faces the audience).

So, prior to performance the insert is fitted into the glass on one side of the clear partition. On the other side of the clear partition is your wine or other liquid. The audience cannot see the wine because the audience is seeing the reflection off the mirror and that hides the wine.

The egg is broken into the glass (actually in the removable insert) and covered with a cloth. You lift up on the insert and simultaneously rotate the glass, bringing the wine side to the audience. Now the removable insert must be sealed at the sides and bottom to keep the messy egg inside and the clear partition should also be water tight to hold the wine. Just one possible solution.

Another solution as Bojanbarisic says (he always has good ideas and is well informed) is to get the liquid into the glass AFTER the egg has been secretly removed, and for this a hollow stemed glass with a breast pump syringe bulb would do the trick well...rather like the old full empty glass that Abbotts and others sold.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I like both ideas! I guess the only tricky part with the partition one is making sure it's well sealed so the wine on the other side of the glass doesn't get through and somehow make it's way into the space between the partition and the front of the glass.

I'm not familiar with the breast pump syringe bulb idea though it sounds interesting. My other thought had been to have a small pin glued into the bottom of the glass and then steal a balloon filled with wine and fill the glass that way.

Any thoughts? I appreciate the input! I came up with this idea at about 1 AM this morning and reached a bit of a stand still so it's nice to have the suggestions and feedback. Smile
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Avoid the balloon and pin idea , it works better in theory than in practice I believe. Because the balon will NOt be inflated to capacity, the speed with which the liquid leaves the balloon will be slow.

The idea behind the syringe/pump is that you have a rubber bulb filled with liquid and this bulb is permanently attached to a hollow stemmed glass. When the bulb is squeezed the liquid flows up into the glass. when you stop squeezing, the liquid goes back into the bulb...unless poured out.

Anverdi had a tray that worked the same way and it was sold separately by many dealers as a glass that could look like it refilled itself. I saw it first in a book of Dunniger's newspaper columns (around 1930)
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Very interesting concept - and I see exactly what you mean about the balloon idea.
I'll check out Abbott's but do you happen to know if they still sell something like that?
I love being able to make things on my own but I'm not sure if this one would cause me grief. After Jeff Hobson's lecture I went home and built my own Jap Box - sorry Jeff, "Caucasian Box" - and it's worked great but was also a fairly simply build.
Is the bulb in the glass just concealed by the way the glass is handled?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I missed the clear glass on this.

Back to the mirror glass.

Bojan,
Sorry, I did not mean to correct you. I misunderstood your meaning.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It certainly doesn't have to be clear, though for impact purposes that had been my initial thought.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Andrew, yes the bulb that is connected to the stem is concealed in the palm, so you cannot handle the glas as freely as you would a normal one.

BTW-
I wrote up a most unusual handling of the Japanese box in Genii magazine many years ago for Charlie Miller in Magicana, actually two routines, both featured some unusual moves and ideas. I don't know if I even kept a copy for myself! When in Japan around 1980, I asked Ton Onosaka about the origin of the prop. He said it was based on a bottomless box that was used to steam rice centuries ago and that the lids and bottoms were interchangeable and made the boxes stackable. So it really was from Japan . The Japanese name (and I'm probably mispelling it ) is called Kenkai Bako.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Interesting idea! They do have some unique items out that way from what I've seen. I was in Tokyo a few years ago and it was like a different world in a sense.
I was able to find a mirror glass on eBay that just uses the spin method, so I may try that out and see what the results are like.
I couldn't find anything using the bulb method, at least on Abbotts...is there a certain term for that? I'm usually able to find these kinds of things using Google if they're still available somewhere.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I think the prop is hard to find. Ricki Dunn made the use of this glass (and a spectator) a laugh riot of a closing to his act for many years...after his pickpocketing routine. Ricki was very secretive about the prop because he thought someone would steal the 'bit' from him and claimed that he invented the prop. But that was just Ricki being Ricki.

Someone not too long ago was marketing the glass as the Ricki Dunn glass so you might do d google search on that.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thanks for the info! I looked into it and found that Ricki gave the trick to Paul Romhany before he passed away, and Paul reworked a few things with the glass and now sells them as "Ricki Dunn's Drink Trick" on Hocus Pocus. Now I just need the $350 Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Ideas for exchanging wine glasses (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL