We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fire Eating! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Luke Kerr
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Luke Kerr
I've ever wondered about "what is the thing that you spit when you fire breath?"
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Sable

Someone who agrees with me? This is unusual and hard to take in! I think I need to lie down.

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Luke Kerr, it's usually good old parafin, the fire performers best friend Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Yep, and only use parafin/ pure kerosene. Otherwise things will go very wrong. There is still a risk of course - it tastes gross, and you can't avoid swallowing a tiny amount each time you blow - over a sustained period, this can settle in your lungs. Nice. Know the facts and make your own choice. Some useful fire info can be found at http://www.homeofpoi.com.

I'm happy to accept the risks, but that's just me. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. And, if you're a street performer, nothing draws a crowd like fire. Except nudity. And it's too cold in Scotland for that. Even in summer.
Rhandolph - the wandering wizard
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Rhandolph - the wandering wizard
I have incorporated fire eating as the highlight of my show for over 15 years.

I consider it magic, but add the use of a dove pan loaded with candy. After lighting the pan with my last torch, I complete the show with the candy.

For billowing fire from my mouth Butane has worked as a good friend. It is simple, direct and clean. I have found it works well in close quarters and is most predictable.

However I would be interested to know what fuel others use for this aspect of the effect.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I always use parafin/ kerosene for the blow. Less chance of a blow-back.

For eating I use either parafin or Coleman fuel (white gas - bit more expensive).

ML
Rhandolph - the wandering wizard
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Rhandolph - the wandering wizard
Thanks! When you say parafin/ kerosene is this like would be purchased for use in kerosene heaters?

Re: Coleman Fuel I personally have found no difference between that and Regular Unleaded gasoline. Just my penny pinching observation.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi all

Please, PLEASE! Don't ever use regular gasoline/petrol/diesel/aviation fluid for any reason other than powering the internal combustion engine. They are very toxic indeed, they burn hotter than heck, they are liable to cause huge explosions and even a slight mistake with them could:

A - Kill you
B - Permanently scar you throughout your entire body
C - Collapse one or both lungs
D - Cause pleurisy and mechanical pneumonia
E - A lot of other nasty stuff...and...
F - All of the above.

That is not to say that any flammable liquid cannot have the above effects, they can, all of them. However the ones listed are among the worst. Never ever use them.

My apologies to the vast majority of people here. I know you know this stuff, I know I am coming over like a patronising know it all. I don't mean to. Its just that there is always the chance that some curious kiddie, or even foolish adult has dropped by this way and thought, umm.. fire eating.. sounds like fun. I just thought someone ought to warn them.

I have been eating, spitting and otherwise messing with fire as a performance for the best part of ten years now and the safest fluid I know of is purified paraffin. Though as said above, safety is just a matter of degrees. It may be safer than petrol but it is still a lot more dangerous than not doing it at all!

Have fun and take a lot of care.

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
iluznst
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
66 Posts

Profile of iluznst
Good God!

And I thought I wouldn't discuss eating glass in a public forum. Smile

Better to educate than keep it shrouded in misinformation.

DA
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
I have one question.

Do you think you would pay more for life insurance if you disclosed that you eat fire?

Just a thought.
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Yes! I even had to pay more when the insurer discovered that I juggled knives (Dube knives - look sharp but are pretty safe).

Cheers

ML
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2361 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I would recommend the "illusion" of fire eating which is just as cool (in a comical way). Check out Mac King's book or send me a message and I'll tell you about it. It's a good impromptu where you appear to eat a flame and then burp up smoke. Smile
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2002-08-27 13:50, Missing_Link wrote:
Yep, and only use parafin/pure kerosene. Otherwise things will go very wrong. There is still a risk of course - it tastes gross, and you can't avoid swallowing a tiny amount each time you blow - over a sustained period, this can settle in your lungs.

I think the worst thing about doing the Fire blow is burping up kerosene for hours after the show. Yuchhh.

I also seem to get bronchitis if I perform this in the winter.

Cheers,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Kero burps are pretty gross - ask my wife! After a show, I usually eat something starchy, like pasta or a sandwich. It helps clear the aftertaste from my mouth.

ML
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Directly after I do a fire blast I exit stage as my partner takes over. I rinse, spit and repeat with water. Several times. This has cut down on the burps.

I have noticed I tend to get colds more in the winter if I am doing the fire blasts. Of course I always wondered if it was the Blockhead causing it?

Sillily, Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I have a book on fire eating. I can also control my gag reflex. However, I have never actually attempted to eat fire.

Is there someone in the Chicago area (or within a few hours drive) who would be willing to teach me? Smile
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Learning Fire eating from a book can get you hurt in a hurry. You have the right idea to try and find someone to teach you hands on. Try going Here! and put up a post.

Hope this helps,
Don
Mike Giusti
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Mike Giusti
Wow! It's been awhile since I visited last, and I'm impressed by the number of posts and responses this topic has generated.

Don's right, gang! Fire Eating is like magic, in that it takes a lifetime to achieve perfection, although perfection is never met. Even the most consummate of professionals still gets burned. Check out the folowing web site if you are serious about learning and you are okay with the associated risks:

http://www.shwood.com

Brian's the best there is next to Todd Robbins!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
BTW A question of taste...

Not all naptha based products taste the same. Coleman fuel tastes awful. In my experience, and to most of the other fire eaters I have talked with, Ronsonal lighter fluid tastes better than anything else. Any other comments on this?

BTW, the greatest danger of fire-eating that I didn't see mentioned here, is to the liver.

The chemicals used in both the torches and the blowout (unless grain alcohol) are all absorbed directly through the lining of the mouth as well as swallowed and can cause accumulating damage to the liver.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Funny, I never could stand the taste of Ronsonal either. I like unscented lamp oil the best. I guess everyone's taste is different.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fire Eating! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL