The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Spellbound: Doug Henning Biography (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Just received an email today touting a new, soon to be published biography of the late Doug Henning by John Harrison. http://www.doughenningbook.com

Spellbound: The Wonder-Filled Life of Doug Henning is a 440 page, hard bound book to be available starting August 10, 2009 from publisher BoxOffice Books, New York. Pre-orders are being taken now with an offer of free shipping.

This will be a must have for any fan of Doug's. My order is already placed.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
This is good news. I think Doug was the original Rock and Roll Magician and a great proponent for Transcendental Meditation. I met him at a TM weekend in Houston in the early 70s. He was using a Gozinta Box to illustrate the wonders of TM. I found that a little weird though. That's the weekend I got my mantra.

I just realized that I was basically homeless a few years later. I wonder if theres a tie in?

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
Although not an H & R publication, the book will be officially released at the H & R Magic Books booth at Magic Live, and the author, John Harrison, will be signing copies there. As the launch date approaches, we'll put the book on our website for those wishing to reserve signed copies in advance.
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
This is way over due. I am not the only one that agrees with this. David Copperfield commented, “It's about time someone paid Doug Henning his due. John Harrison does a great job of telling the story of Doug Henning's magic and the man behind that magic.”

This is going to be on my wish list for my birthday. And the timing is perfect because it's being released a day after my birthday. This is a hint guys.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Really looking forward to this one. As a youngster interested in magic, my folks took me to see Doug Henning live in 1982. I was 8. This was the first time I had seen a professional magician on stage. Needless to say, my mouth and eyes were wide open the entire evening. I was hooked for life!
JVHarrison
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of JVHarrison
Glad people are looking forward to it. I got word on Friday that the books had shipped to the distributor, so dealers should have them in the next two weeks. Like Richard mentioned, the "official" release will be at the H&R booth at Magic Live!. I look forward to meeting fellow Doug Henning fans there
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The books have arrived at Murphys Magic Supplies warehouse and our first batch is being sent to Loomis Magic. We anticipate getting them on Monday and those of you that kindly placed prepublication orders will be getting them next week. John Harrison is getting bookplates made and will be signing them and sending them along to us soon. For those that placed pre-publication orders, we will not delay the shipment, but we will send you a bookplate by first class mail as soon as we receive them so that you can have the author's signature. Orders that arrive after the bookplates arrive will get a signed bookplate in the book for as long as John is willing to keep signing them.

My review of the book will be in the August issue of MUM which subscribers will be receiving very soon.

I consider this to be "the book of the year" and a long overdue biography of one of magic's most important figures of the last millenium. If you are the least bit interested in magic history, you need this book in your library. I don't care if you buy it from Loomis Magic or not, but do yourself a big favor and pick up a copy. It's a fascinating read.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-07-17 15:55, Dennis Loomis wrote:John Harrison is getting bookplates made and will be signing them and sending them along to us soon.

What a great idea.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
thumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
Simi Valley, California
132 Posts

Profile of thumbtip
Just received Spellbound The Wonder-Filled Life of Doug Henning in the mail today. Will start it this evening.
"Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition" Normal is a setting on a dryer"
magictw1
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of magictw1
Wow looks like a great book will be getting mine in a couple of weeks can't wait
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
962 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Great read, shame its not got colour photos.

O
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
518 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
Got mine today just read the credits and prolog. Wonderful read so far and that's jsut the first few pages. If teh rest is as good well it'll be just like Doug won't it ? Special and wonderful and grand.
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
A good informative read. Wasn't aware of the specifics of Doug's position as fundraiser for the Veda Land project. Seems he was ill-suited to this, not a licensed investment seller and in my opinion from reading the book, Doug wanted to please the Maharishi and do whatever he asked, but he was kind of cult leader who took Doug because he was a celebrity to help with his own greedy agenda. Anyone else feel that way after reading tghe book?
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
483 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Here is a review that I sent to John Harrison and posted elsewhere:

I just finished reading this fantastic book by John Harrison. It was released at Magic Live 2009 and I can tell you that this book was met with eager anticipation. Spellbound is definitely a must read for all Doug Henning fans. John has painstakingly researched every aspect of Doug's life and career in Magic. It is a true testament to the author and his own dedication to write this biography. John has done a magnificent job in both presenting the facts and weaving a integral story surrounding the wonder-filled life of Doug Henning.

At the age of six, Doug Henning watched the Ed Sullivan Show on television to see magician Richiardi perform the Broom Suspension Illusion. It was at that moment when Doug asked his mother if he too could someday be a magician.

Years later, when Doug Henning started to become a household name, he was often fond of saying, "The Magic of Today, is The Science of Tomorrow". This type of thinking would eventually lead Henning into the realm of Transcendental Meditation, which would in effect change him forever.

John Harrison's book encompasses Doug's early years on Broadway during his tenure in "Spellbound", "The Magic Show" and "Merlin". It then takes you on a journey through Doug's life and eventual fame onto television.

Some of the more interesting facets of Spellbound are interviews John conducted with Doug's family, friends, co-workers and associates. All of the information is presented in a delightful way and makes for a relaxed read. You definitely get the feel that you are hearing an enthralling story, as if the author was telling it to you, in person.

Spellbound will delight all those who want to know more about Doug Henning. You will learn about "Hendoo"...Doug's first performing name. Many will be surprised to find out that Doug Henning studied with Dai Vernon and Slydini, through a grant issued by the Canadian Government. Also, you'll find out why a performance for the Inuit Indians made Doug realize that Magic is everywhere. You will also learn how Doug Henning first used Transcendental Meditation to overcome hyper-activity and how it later ruled his life. Spellbound will reveal that "Metamorphosis" was Doug's favorite illusion. This book also reveals how Doug Henning sought out real wonder in the World and how "Magic + Theater = Art" Clearly, there is much to enjoy inside the pages of this incredible book, Spellbound.

February 7, 2000 was truly a sad day when Doug Henning succumbed to Liver Cancer at the age of 37. Doug Henning will certainly be remembered for bringing Illusion into the homes of television viewers everywhere. Doug was determined throughout his life to bring "Wonder" into other peoples lives. He made a long forgotten art (Magic), stand out brightly for all to enjoy. In Doug Henning's own words, he made this profound proclamation..."I don't know how to be anyone other than myself."

Highly Recommended!!

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
718 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
I'm in the middle of this. What a trip down memory lane. Brought back wonderful memories of seeing The Magic Show on Broadway and seeing Doug's TV specials. Great work John!
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
718 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Doug Henning 1947-2000 he was 53.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Dove84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Dove84
After seeing the comments here I'm ordering this.
Steve Cohen
View Profile
New user
New York City
9 Posts

Profile of Steve Cohen
Doug Henning's actual costumes (including sequined boots) are currently on display at Fantasma Magic shop in New York City. Holding the boots, my childhood came back to me in a vivid flash.

I, too, thoroughly enjoyed Mr Harrison's biography of my early icon - Doug Henning. Incidentally, he had very small feet.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2864 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Any word on when this will be available in Canada? I've been doing some looking online tonight but not seeing it in stock. Thanks. Smile

Laurie
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I received this book as a Christmas gift, and must say that it was a very entertaining and interesting read. The book was very thorough, and literally takes you from the very beginning when Doug as a kid, through his starts in Canada, to broadway fame, TV specials, his interest in mysticism, etc... Lots of great personal references from those close to Doug. I have to say that seeing Doug Henning's illusion show live when I was about 6, was one of the sparks that lit the magic "fire" in me as a kid. It really was incredible. Having said that, this book also details much of his interest in transcendental meditation, mysticism, and his pursuit to find "real magic." Doug Henning was odd, to say the least.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Spellbound: Doug Henning Biography (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL