The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » $5000 for Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
sharpace
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of sharpace
If you want to buy some special props I suggest you look for the old ones. They are collectable. Nowadays many new tricks also came from the same principle. But some are useless and junk items.
theoldfort
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of theoldfort
Spend $100 on magic and treat you and your wife/girlfriend/mistress/boyfriend/husband to a magical relaxing Caribbean vacation...

Stay at http://www.theoldfort.com and then I'll have some cash to buy some more magic

(spread the love) Smile
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
Hey Larry,

You hit the nail right on the head. In my show, I was looking for a killer finish, and I wanted something that wasn't being done very much in the Ren-Faire circuit I was performing at. I decided on sword thru the neck, and invested about $125 in to the effect. I was happy, I was all gung ho about it, and I performed it, and I got hardly any reaction to it.

I had also at one point in time, found a book, that had a basic version of the torched and restored dollar. I took some time, and thought about it, and changed it to be part of my show. When the signed dollar bill, that I had torched earlier in my show fell out of the apple. I had people bug eyed. I even had one of the other magicians that performed go, "Dude, how in the hell did you get the dollar in the apple?" Cash spent: $2.50 for a box of change envelopes, and $2.75 for a bag of apples. All because of an obscure magic book that sits on a shelf in my bathroom.

Jeff
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Simplicity is the key to magic..
Jonatan Bank
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Discoverie of Witchcraft: cheap
Grouts and testers... not so cheap

Opportunity cost of buying commodities vs special things when available... VAST.

It's your money. How often to you get to spend 5k? IF it's nothing special, have a refrigerator built as a Zigzag, or get the Bob Kohler collection. If this is a huge investment for you, stay away from anything trendy or easily store bought and get something valuable. Hence the comment about those cups. And this coming from someone who does the Ramsay routine and has no interest in very pretty Paul fox looking cups made of real silver.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
130 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
A close up table? Why would that be a good use of limited funds? Most performing environments for close up magic involve using someone else's table or working with no table. Unless you're a collector, I see better bang for your buck elsewhere.

There's much previous good advice in this thread already. I won't repeat it, except to elaborate on one point: spending time with Bob Fitch and/or taking lessons from a master magician could be invaluable.

One other thought: I'd take the money that you don't spend right away and invest it in either money market fund (where it'll probably be safe, unless deflation rears its head and funds are forced to "break the buck") or -- if your time horizon allows -- a stock index fund. It's amazing how compounding on reinvested distributions add up after a few years (assuming appreciation), especially if you pick an index (e.g., the Vanguard or TRowePrice total stock market funds) that will have few capital gains distributions.
only4card
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of only4card
If I were you I'll use the money to open an online magicshop. This will make you money magically grow.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
If I were you, I would use the money to learn the Lottery Prediction.

Michael Lam Smile
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
magicday
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of magicday
Oh! you have the money you must buy the "Borodin Locket". A great piece of Magic!
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I would get a well respected magician who you know is both very creative and skillful to not only teach you tricks but also help you put an act together full of workable material that goes in a logical order. This will pay itself back in extra bookings. I'd also save money and look to attend a lot of conventions. These can be great expenditure.
Just my 2 english pennies.
Nick
Memo
View Profile
New user
Germany (northrhine-westfalia)
77 Posts

Profile of Memo
Do you think, that he still has got the money?
"There have been many claims by magicans and mentalists to the invention of mnemonics; some of the claimants have been world-famous performers - and none of them have a right to their claims!" - Corinda
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I'm sure he spent the money....too bad!! That's why people work until they are 65-70! No savings!!
silentmora
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of silentmora
I would definitely buy a set of Brett Sherwoods silver engraved cups. I don't know the exact site but you could do a google search. Buy the best quality that you can find and the apparatus may likely appreciate in value.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2003-05-29 15:29, gandolf wrote:
If you buy 5K worth of magic, you will waste about 4.5K. There is no way you will be able to learn/remember that much. I bought some Mallone, Sankey, and Ammar DVD's and have not even scratched the surface of what is contained in them.

Amen on that. been there done that, although I have to say that DVDs are the best buy for the money that I have found. L&L is the highest quality that I have found.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is not the tricks it is the performance... I would second the study with Jeff McBride messages.

I would also stick with the classic books and get a solid background of the history of magic.

Unless you have to, DO NOT RUSH.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I'm sorry. Didn't see the date. My Mistake.
Nick
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
Send me the money. I'll purchase the tricks I think are best for you. Of course there will be a slight service fee for each trick I get for you. Or as theoldfort suggested, spend a $100 on magic and take me to a tropical island.

Seriously, put some of that money to work for you in a good investment program. Sure spend some on magic, books DVDs etc. but put some of it away for your future.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Isn't this every magician's dream??????????? blow mad cash in a store..... yum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » $5000 for Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL