The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » straight jacket upside-down with chains? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
samhenry
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
17 Posts

Profile of samhenry
Hello! Somebody know if some escape artist has tried escape of straight jacket upside-down WITH CHAINS before?

I know about Dean Gunnarson, but he made standing.

Regards,

Samuel.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi

I am pretty sure that Robert Gallup has done it. If anyone knows different, please put me right! I am not 100% sure, but it's close Smile

Standing with chains has been done by quite a few people, it's not that uncommon these days. Though personally I am not a fan of it. I see it as overkill and I think it weakens the straitjacket escape. More so I guess for a suspended escape.

Hope this helps

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hello,
I have done the USD jacket with chains on at least 3 occassions. I am sure others have also. Regards, Steve Santini
Vonschwager
View Profile
New user
ben dover is my brother not a verb
19 Posts

Profile of Vonschwager
Dear Santini, could you list what you haven't done?

Max
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I think the list would probably go something like this.

.................!

:)

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hello to the arrogant all,
If you will bother to read what I wrote, you will notice that I not only said I had done a similiar escape, but I also gave credit to others who I am certain have also done so. There was no arrogance or "posturing" on my behalf. The great difference between myself and a number of people on this board is, that I have the proof required to demonstrate that I have actually done these escapes. Those who ask will be provided with same. That being said, I am not really suprised by the idiotic response by some so called "escapologists" who would rather buy "ready made props" and follow the teachings of a man who is a locksmith and who to my knowledge has never had the nerve to ever step upon a stage in his life. I guess this is the current "state of the art"... Sad really. Steve Santini.
Vonschwager
View Profile
New user
ben dover is my brother not a verb
19 Posts

Profile of Vonschwager
Dear Santini, don't you make and sell "ready made props" yourself??? And arrogance is seen in your UPPER CASE name.

Max
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Whoa Guy’s. What’s this about? Simple question was asked.

“Somebody know if some escape artist has tried escape of straight jacket upside-down WITH CHAINS before?”

A straightforward answer given by Mr. Santini (an experienced performer) that he had done it on at least three different times and mentioned that he knew of others that did it too.

So what’s with the personal stuff? It does not add to the thread.

Back the thread. I am not an escape artist yet I have done and will do an escape act when I need to.

I have performed the chained escape jacket escaped both standing and USD. The very first time I performed the chained USD escape was in Oklahoma (Norman) for a University of Oklahoma football pep rally in 1972.

I freely admit that I used a gimmicked straight jacket and about 50 feet of chain. The problem I had with the USD bit was keeping the chain on long enough to make it look like a struggle. It had a tendency to fall off as soon as I had been lifted upside down.

By the way, while I believe that I am self-effacing and humble, others describe me as an arrogant “know-it-all”. Who knows they may be right! But then opinions are like elbows, everyone has at least two!

Smile
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Steve

I hope that you did not take my response as either arrogance or an insult. It was meant as a compliment. I am sorry you did not see it that way but that was the intention. It seems, quite honestly, that you HAVE done it all in your time, there was no intent to accuse you of anything behind my words. As I said above, I intended to offer you a compliment, and to show recognition of your accomplishments.

For my part I can not claim to have done anything approaching the huge number of things you have done. I am not a pure escape artist and doubt I will ever be. But I will say that I have done everything I claim to, and can provide proof of this if required.

This includes:

Escaping from an ungimmicked and properly applied (with a knowledgable assistant and NO slack stealing) Posey straitjacket, whilst on Chinese stilts.

Picking and shimming ungimmicked Speedcuffs, Smith and Wessons, etc.

Suspended SJ with the same ungimmicked posey, as well as an ungimmicked, but oversized De Val Jacket.

Challenge rope escapes.

Escaping from ungimmicked barbwire handcuffs and neckcuff using my own padlocks. These were gimmicked, but in such a way as to pass a quick inspection by a locksmith, as well as a detailed inspection by a layperson. The gimmick merely reduced the difficulty in opening them rather than making it 'self working'.

Please ask if you wish to know what I did, I would rather not give it away here. And no, the padlocks were not bought gimmicked. I took the time to learn how to do it myself, and as far as I know, nothing is on the market that is the same. Similar yes, but not the same.

I feel that the personal, and in my mind entirly unwarranted attacks that your comment contained were unfair. If I am one of the 'idiotic so called escapologists' you are referring to, (and apologies for this if I am not) I would like to know how you came by that decision? Have you ever seen me perform? Do you know what knowledge I possess and what knowledge I don't posses. Obviously my knowledge and experience is far below yours. But when you first started referring to yourself as an EA I doubt that you had what you have now.

Since I learned of your work I have had great respect and admiration for you Mr Santini, I have always looked upon you as a goal to aspire to, a benchmark. This thread leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth and it leaves you, in my eyes, a smaller, and less important figure. You have insulted me for no reason I can fathom.

Yours confused and saddened.

David Straitjacket

My Website
Add me on facebook
samhenry
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
17 Posts

Profile of samhenry
Thanks Harry Murphy, for the information. Oh my God, what a forum!

Sorry for this Spanish sentence but: "La soberbia ciega al hombre"...

Somebody has been escape of an angry girlfriend? I need help...

Smile

Regards,

Samuel.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Samuel, are you going to perform a USD straightjacket and chained escape?

By the way, how is performing in Venezuela? Are there good venues for magicians and escape artists? Is the Circus still popular? (I traveled with a Mexican circus for part of a season back in the 60’s. Man am I old!!).
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
please people this forum is to Help one Another not to go at each others throats. We are all here because of the Love We have for this Art. as to Harry your not OLD Harry just Terriffic. Don,
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Man, why are you busting on Steve? This man is the godfather of most escapes. There's 2 names I think of when I think escapology. Harry Houdini and Steve Santini. A year ago I knew nothing of Mr. Santini, Today I have seen some of his AWESOME routines on video tape. These are some thought out innovative routines. If I ever wanted to make a career out of escapology, I would have studied Mr. Santini's work more in depth. He is the master of our trade, and an ingenius inventor.

I am a firm believer that if you are going to be anything, ie. an escapologist you should try doing it the hard way before buying gaffs. Otherwise, if asked to perform impromptu, you look like an idiot. With that being said, the use of Steves products would greatly enhance a "real" performers performance 10 fold. There of the highest quality and one of a kind. Heck I wouldn't sell them if I didn't believe in them.

So Max, when you have done half the things that Steve has done, then you may make brash comments that are derogatory and hurtful....

Z

P.S. Dave you and X-Treem would be next on my list of top performers of escapology! Dave, you never cease to amaze me.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ok, maybe I should ask this or maybe not, who is busting on Steve and why?
Don
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi All

My intention was never to bust on Steve or diss him in any way. I felt I had posted a compliment. If I am one of the people referred to as 'idiotic' and 'so called escapologist' then I stand by my comments. If not, then I withdraw them and apologise unreservedly.

Scott, I really don't deserve to be on that list! Thanks for the props but in the end my escapology work just doesn't have the depth or skill to be mentioned in that list of names. But hey, if you want to put me on your list of favorite sideshow artists!

Have fun

David Straitjacket

My Website
Add me on facebook
RichardJones
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of RichardJones
Are the best football coaches better than their students? No. Otherwise they would be playing the game themselves.

Did the best directors start as the best actors? No. That is why people such as Orson Welles are so remarkable.

Indeed, many of our classiest directors have never had any real experience of acting at all.

Setting aside any previous encounters we have had, Santini, and merely looking at your post above it is rather naive to assume that someone who has not performed cannot be a great teacher.

Or, inverting the analogy, do the greatest academics in a particular subject necessarily make the best teachers? It would indeed be arrogant to assume that an ability to perform automatically endows one with an ability to pass on knowledge as and when appropriate. Take Houdini...

As for your scathing comments about ready made props, do answer the post above which brilliantly points out that it is you, yourself, who manufactures and sells said items.

And in attempting to deny your arrogance you have merely highlighted in the purest form available that it exists in the first place.

Because when you are paid a compliment by people suggesting, in a jocular fashion, that you might have done everything you take their suggestions SERIOUSLY.

That is intensely amusing.

As I said, my comments are entirely drawn from the evidence above and are entirely impartial.

I cannot be biased until I have seen a performance - and I was quite upset not to have been on your distribution list for a copy of your video when it was released, Steve.

Would you care to send me a copy?

Then at least I will be able to see your talent first hand (and I do not speak tongue in cheek) and I will be able to grant some respect to you as a performer.

Please send me a private message should you like my address. I shall not reply again to this post as it is best not to get sucked in to such discussions.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hmmm, I'm old and a bit senile but I understood right away that David was giving Mr. Santini a wonderful compliment. Why one would have to be an idoit to have not seen that.
Don
samhenry
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
17 Posts

Profile of samhenry
Yes Harry I want to try USD straight jacket and chained escape! Here there are good magicians like Sonny Fontana, but in general the magic is strange in Venezuela.

Well, please talk about escape...

Somebody has been escape of USD straight jacket and chained with burning rope?

SAM
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
That’s a good question. I have never done the suspended by a burning rope gag! I don’t know of anyone who has added chains to their USD burning rope jacket escape. Anyone?
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Harry, I don't know either but that burning rope can be DANGEROUS. It was shown on T.V. already if you want an idea on how to do it or a way to do it that might be safer PM me. Don,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » straight jacket upside-down with chains? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL