The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » An ethical consideration... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2009-07-12 12:11, Whit Haydn wrote:

If the victim feels like he is being cheated, what can he do? It is six to one. Everyone around him will agree with the dealer, and if there is trouble, the vic gets the worst of it.
Ain’t that the truth!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2009-07-12 12:11, Whit Haydn wrote:
That is magicians thinking. None of those things can be caught.

You are forgetting the nature of the game and the control that the gang has over the one vic.

The Three-Card Monte can't be switched after the bet is made without a fight.

If the victim at the shell game feels like he is being cheated, what can he do? It is six to one. Everyone around him will agree with the dealer, and if there is trouble, the vic gets the worst of it.

Actually, that is con artists thinking as well!

I spoke with a couple of guys in Paris who said they prefer the monte to shells for the reasons I mentioned.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
That's very interesting! I imagine if you always have someone there to place a high bet on the wrong card anytime a mark catches the hype, then the monte would make for cleaner playing.

I've absolutely NO real idea about this though...but it's an insightful thought to be sure.
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
361 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Magicians could learn from the con artists for sure. I’m thinking about how a magical performance could be enhanced if we had 3 to 4 “anonymous helpers” in the audience working with us at all times, opens up some interesting ideas.

Tom, I like your quote

Hardship, adversity and tragedy happen to us all, some remember it as an adventure, it makes a great story, others just drown in a pool of self-pity. -Tom Bartlett
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
topandball
View Profile
Regular user
New England
132 Posts

Profile of topandball
Coming in late, and I don't have much time, but I will just say that even if there is only one player (say, me), and 4 or 5 marks, no sticks, it's still a con from the get go. The marks might get the right top or card, and they might bet, but they will never do both at the same time. If they have the right top or card they will simply not be allowed to bet for one reason or another. Of course that frustrates them so much they can't wait to bet the next time Smile

-B
"Gamblin' Sam from Birmingham, I learned this game in Vietnam"
R.I.P. Haynes, the ORIGINAL "Gamblin' Sam"
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I recall in his book Games You Can't Win (companion to his bar bet book Games You Can't Lose), Harry Anderson stated flatly that 3CM and the shell game were scans, not games. As for card switching not being feasible, Whit, what are we to make of Harry's hilarious story of the guy with the staple gun? (I know, it sounds apocryphal).
by the way, I'm in the process of going through School for Scoundrel's phenomenally great, clear DVD 1. It's great fun. I had the honor of being a spectator ("mark") at a lecture Bob Sheets gave at our magic club, and was, of course, the recipient of a sudden, unexpected bear hug - at the appropriate (predestined) moment. You have to buy the DVD to find out about the Sheets hugs - which are a riot.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » An ethical consideration... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL