The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Producing a Rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3030 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Every childrens performer I talk to says the same thing to me. The kids go crazy when they produce a rabbit. Far and above the other effects, that always seems to be the one remembered the most by the kids.

I need to get a rabbit! In the meantime, what is everyones favorite method for producing a rabbit?

Thanks!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This question has been asked numerous times and a lot has been written on it.

I like Eric's Sharp's Rabbit from the Hat method the best, howevrr it requires a small rabbit and in several months, my dwarfs outgrew the hat.

I also like Rabbit from the Hat using a bag steal method, or my Rabbit from a bucket Miser's Dream routine posted elsewhere.

For quick easy to use effect, I use the balloon break cage as an alternative using a box type (Circus Wagon) effect.
Dennis Michael
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
A rabbit should not just be bought as a prop to use in your show. Remember is is a living being and will need lots of looking after, when not in your show it is a family pet.

Also if your doing a few shows in a day, carting the rabbit around in your car in the summer can add a few other problems.

Personally I don't use one, and as these days where animal welfare is a big priority some bookers wont book an act that uses live animals.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Performers should have to get liscenses and be tested to use rabbits and other animals in performances.

I do use a much loved rabbit (who is sitting on my desk as I type) in my show but I don't use a mirror box or any other sort of box that cramps the rabbit into an unnatural position.

I use a GREAT prop called the Pet Shop Production. You have two boxes that fit together snugly. Both are CLEANLY showed to be empty. The outer box has a doorway and windows in it so you can see it is empty ALL the time. The best thing about it is that the rabbit has the WHOLE box space to sit in. He can turn around, lie down and relax.

P.S. I recently performed for the director of the RSPCA (Royal SPCA) and had him check out both my rabbit and the box. He gave it the thumbs up.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Nicholas and Emazdad make the key point in using live animals:
Don't use them as props!
These are living, sentient beings and, unless you are willing to include them as members of the family, then go some other route!
I do not use a rabbit or any other live animal in my shows, nor would I; the downside (the risk to the animal's comfort and safety) is too great when balanced against the upside (the entertainment of a few people).
But, if that's what you want to do, then go full tilt, dig a pit, toss in a bull and a couple of ferocious dogs, and revive bull-baiting! (It's about as sensible!)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Please don't mis-interupt my response. I have three rabbits and each are treated well. I have no problem using rabbits or doves in magic acts, as long as the entertainer makes a sincer fuss over the animal after it is produced and is very cautious on when and how the rabbit is placed in a warm fuzzy, cosy dark place (Like their natuarl nesting area).

Many of these so called Animal Health Activists would think nothing of going to a fast food place and having a burger. If they only visited a slaughter house, they would be spending all their time rallying to save the chickens, steer, horse, and kangaroos!
Dennis Michael
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3030 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have kids at home that would love having a rabbit, but after some careful thought, I might pass on using a rabbit in my act. Not worth the possible mishap.

Looks like a "fake" rabbit for me. Thanks to all who responded! Great help and much appreciated!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
If you have any doubt at all about getting a rabbit you should NOT get one!

As for 'warm, fuzzy cosy places' in Oz it can get VERY hot so the important thing is to find a COOL box that the rabbit likes being in.

I once had a rabbit (sadly deceased) who HATED being put in the magic box so I didn't use him.

My current rabbit seems very happy to be in the box. In fact, he jumps out of his travel cage and INTO the magic box as soon as I open the doors!

The problem with using animals in entertainment is not actually to do with entertainment itself but the way in which the animal lives everyday and how it is treated. After all, the rabbit doesn't know its in a show!
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Nicholas

Bunnies don't know they are in a show??..

i have often wandered if they do in deed know when it is show time. I was sitting behind my curtain today at a library when I started my music and it was like he knew that the show was about to begin. He came to the front of the door of the cage I opened it and he jumped in to my production box. I think they too get into a routine.

As for bunnies. Not sure if you have tried this. But my bunny can pick cards when I fan them out. It the most funniest thing you can see. the crowd loves it!

Enjoy,
Ken
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Rabbit don't understand the concept of 'entertaining'. They get into routines and will perform tricks when rewarded etc.

My point is that the issue is not about whether rabbit should be used in entertainment but whether they are look after.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Perhaps Rocky Racoon would be better or a vent dummy?
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
So has anyone come up with a way to keep a rabbit cool on hotter days and still produce them?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I have one that's absolutely brilliant -- and I don't use that term lightly! I think it was originally a Supreme magic prop.

In effect, you show an oblong box. Open the front door and remove a magician's outfit for the child to wear; this plays extremely well with today's "Harry Potter" craze. I use a Sorcerer's hat, cape, glasses, and wand. The box is seen to be very empty, reinforced by the fact that a bunch of stuff was just taken from it. Close the door, and after all the byplay, the kid waves the wand, says the magic words, and upon opening the front door CAGE BARS can now be seen, behind which is the bunny!! This is without a doubt the strongest bunny production I have ever seen.

I don't know who, is anyone, is making them today. I which I had the rights 'cause the thing is dynamite! I actually built a copy of mine in case something happens to it; it's that important to me.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anyone know if there are any realistic fake rabbits?
I know of only the racoon. Thanks.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

How about Axtell's Rodney Rabbit.

Also the same company that makes Rocky makes a rabbit, however, everytime I use it the kids know it's fake, so I magically bring it alive...change it into a real rabbit.
Dennis Michael
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Profile of The Wizard of Hearts
A word of warning, many children are allergic to rabbits and, believe it or not, Guinea pigs.

I know from personal experience. When I was younger, I used to perform my shows with a rabbit to great success. Then, a few years ago, I started having trouble with my voice. About 1/3 of the way into my show, I'd start losing my voice. It finally got so bad, I consulted a doctor. After running some tests, he referred me to an allergist. The allergist tested me for all types of allergies and guess what he found? I had become allergic to rabbits. Suddenly it all became to make sense. My second to opening effect was the rabbit production (pack 'em last and produce 'em first), followed by a wall-breaking everybody pet the rabbit. This exposure to the rabbit was enough to irritate my vocal chords and coupled with strenuous vocal projection, was enough to inflame them and cause me to go horse.

In short, I dropped the rabbit from the show, and got my voice back.

In talking with my allergist I discovered that many children are allergic to rabbits, and more so to Guinea pigs.

So be careful out there. The voice you save may just be your own.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Ihave been looking but they are all pretty pathetic close up. Maybe some can make them look ok from stage but none I have seen look realistic close up. Most you have to produce move around and get it out of sight and then maybe they pass for real. Believe it or not, Cadbury Candy had the best looking one in their promotional easter sales a year or two ago. As far as a sitting white rabbit I felt it looked better than the spring rabbit. I did nto see them this year.

Quote:
On 2004-03-21 13:18, sapolice wrote:
Anyone know if there are any realistic fake rabbits?
I know of only the racoon. Thanks.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
"As for bunnies. Not sure if you have tried this. But my bunny can pick cards when I fan them out. It the most funniest thing you can see. the crowd loves it! "

Well said Ken, this is the highlight of my act. My patter is my rabbit cheats at cards, see there he goes picking two instead of one:)
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
The best way ever is no longer in production. I am trying to talk a magic builder into the idea.

Burling Hull sold a very large drawer box that looked like a file cabinet. It had a special pad on the bottom (an ink blotter if the old folks remember what that was) to absorb any bunny mess), holes in the back for Mr. Bunny, cut outs on the sides so you could see the drawer slide out and the box empty (black art).

But the key was the cards in the box. They were pictures of famous magic tricks. My idea was to add some real silly ones like all the kids burning the magician at the stake, etc.

When you begin you show the box and tell the kids you sometimes don't remember what trick to do, so you put them all on cards so you can remember. To show them you open the drawer and "spill" them onto the floor. You put the box down, pick them up, all "mixed up" now, and do you show.

When you get to the rabbit from the hat picture you remember you "forgot", the magic hat at home... what to do? Ah, lets use the file box!

Works the best, no fuss, rabbit is in a BIG space, with lotsof air, and the routine makes a nice pace for the show.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I wish they would market more production items today. I like the Ellusive Bunny Box by Mak's and it no longer is available.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Producing a Rabbit (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL