The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Up in Smoke ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
So, I went to order some Colored Smoke Powder to use with Chalet's Wiz Kote effect only to find it has been discontinued.

Anyone who uses this in their show knows exactly what I'm talking about. The powder is used with Slow Burn Cotton and can be measured for the venue your performing in.

I dropped a note to Theatre FX as I believe they were the manufacturers of this product. Does anyone have a source or supply for this product??

Steve
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Steve, It appears that Theatre FX still has colored smoke powder available here: http://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce......._related

If in fact they have been discontinued, you may want to check out a local firework store as most sell colored "smoke bombs"

Sam
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I took a closer look .. it even describes opening the canisters for use in Wiz Kote.

It's almost like when I was younger busting up fireworks for the precious powder inside.

Thanks for the note .. I'll give it a try.

Steve
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Is it still available? I have not bought any in a long time, but I ocassionally use it in one or two of my routines. I hope they ahve not discontinued it.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
It appears to be the same product .. I'll give them a call next week and see what the deal is.

Steve
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Smoke pellets (you can uy them from joke shops) can be ground down to create the same effect and come in several colours. Very low cost too. Last time I bought them they were about 50p (25c) each. They're a bit smelly though, but in small quantities aren't a problem.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
What do you use to ignite smoke powder / pellets in your props / illusions? I agree they do smell a bit.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Just a regular gloplug ignites the powder but you need to carefuly clean it after a couple of uses. Before I used gloplugs, I used a 12v circuit with a very fine copper wire between + and - that glowed then popped, held out long enough to light the powder. Wasn't really the right way of doing it but I hadn't discovered gloplugs at that point!

Mark
Mark Daniel
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I just got a few samples of the new Smoke Cartridges from Theatre Effects. I conduct my experiments over the weekend and we'll see how it goes.

Steve
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Steve is experimenting...be afraid...be vey very afraid
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
So, the cartridges are a little different but seems to work just fine. You have to break up the powder and spread it on top of Slow Burn Cotton then ignite.

They come packaged in a small box of five but once you break open a cartridge you have to pour the powder into something else .. otherwise it will get all over the place. Not a big deal ... just how it is. It will have to do the trick ...

Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I got mine a while back from Diamond Magic! You could ask if he still has more left.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Up in Smoke ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL