The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » United Airlines Breaks Guitars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
From CBC

Broken guitar song hits high note with musicians

Musician Dave Carroll, of Halifax pop-folk band Sons Of Maxwell, has become an internet sensation with his revenge song United Breaks Guitars. Musician Dave Carroll, of Halifax pop-folk band Sons Of Maxwell, has become an internet sensation with his revenge song United Breaks Guitars. (Andrew Vaughan/Canadian Press)

Dave Carroll, whose song about United Airlines damaging his guitar has become an internet sensation, is a hero to Canadian musicians' association AFM Canada.

His humorous video, United Breaks Guitars, which shows airline baggage employees playing catch with his guitar, is highlighting an issue the Canadian branch of the American Federation of Musicians has been battling for years.

"He accomplished with his one song more than all the lawyers and lobbyists and union officials in North America for the past eight years," Bill Skolnik, vice-president of the organization representing 17,000 Canadian musicians, said Friday.

Carroll, the songwriter for Halifax band Sons of Maxwell, wrote a song about seeing the band's guitars deliberately damaged by baggage handlers outside the plane window, an incident that led to his $3,500 Taylor guitar being broken.

After trying for nine months to get compensation from United Airlines and being turned down flat, he vowed to write three songs about the experience.

The video of the first song went online Monday, and has had more than 1.3 million hits as of Friday.

That got the attention of United Airlines and every airline in North America, Skolnik told CBC News.

"To us, Dave is a hero. The working life of every musician is going to be better because of his music," Skolnik said.

"It's not money, it's care. That's really what his video's about. I mean, treat our instruments the way you treat your planes," he added.

The video is here.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
You have got to love this. I hope millions more see this. This is how with some talent and imagination, the small guy can take on the big guns.
If there was a best video competition on youtube I would vote for this.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Now that is a GOOD use of the internet. Song was good too.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Score one for the little guy. Right now there is a VP of marketing at United crying in his martini over this. Millions of people now singing "United breaks guitars", and anyone who has had to deal with an airline bureaucracy would understand. It looks like United tried to pay him off once they realize that he could actually do something about it, but he told them to give the money to charity and he would still make the other two songs like he promised. What a PR disaster for them.

This is really one of the ways that the Internet is changing the world. Previously he would have had to resort to letter writing campaigns, and then would eventually have to give up since the airline had all the power. With the Internet, he can instantly reach millions of people and once something like this goes viral there is no stopping it.

Good for him. I hope that it leads to good things for his band.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
If you liked the song, it might be nice to buy a download from his website as a show of support. I see it as no different than tossing a buck into the hat of a particularly entertaining street performer. Plus it's .99 Canadian, so it is not like it's real money or anything...
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Cool idea, cool song, bad choice in instruments. I wouldn't play a Taylor if you locked me in a closet with Fergie and five Barbie dolls and a box of Twinkies and three tubes of Colgate.

Now, should an airline break my banjo, they should expect a violent reaction!

(Involving Fergie, Barbie dolls, Twinkies, and Colgate. But HUSH! The FBI is now reading this thread, so be careful.)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Dave Carroll promised 3 songs. Now the second one is up.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Has United Airlines contacted him yet?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
It wasn't the VP of marketing at United that trashed his Guitar, it was the baggage handlers, and they probably still have their jobs because they are union members.

Score this one for the individual standing up for him self and everyone else that has had baggage handlers steal or destroy their things and not be punished.

It’s time the people that were actually responsible for the damage to have to pay for their actions.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I love Taylor guitars! I would be upset if my guitars were damaged by anyone!
Mister Mystery
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
A local musician had his beloved guitar destroyed by this same method. He is blind and one of the most amazing people I have met. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of music and plays comfortably in all genres. It took a while to find a replacement guitar to suit his standards (which he had every right to have), and almost two years later still hasn't been compensated for the original guitar.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
You are 100% right, Tom. There is no accountability and, therefore, no reason to care...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » United Airlines Breaks Guitars (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL