The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » SILKS AND BAGS pag 457 Rice vol 1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicodine
View Profile
Regular user
italy
198 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Hello there,

Has anyone ever performed the effect in which 3 paper bags are shown empty, the silks are vanished, the empty bags are threaded on a length of ribbon and when the bags are torn away the silks appear in the ribbon?
I'd like to perform it to music and I'd love any tip or advice you could give me. I also would like to know the reaction you got with this effect. I haven't used silks that much in my shows but I'd love to add more silks effects (and more silent to music effects) because they are simply beautiful and since I'm a girl they are very feminine.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is a beautiful effect that does impress the audience. I have not performed it since the 1960's. Two things have happened since then. One is the availability of paper bags has been greatly reduced. Now you have to buy them. In those days you threw them away. (Trees are a renewable resource. So we quit using them! LOL)

The second and major reason for the trick disappearing, is that you ruin three silks every time the trick is performed. With 18" silks that brings the costs to about $10 a performance with real silks. You can't use the cheap serger hemmed silks because the ribbon pulls through the hems. (Holes are actually punched into the silks and strong hems are very important for lifting the silks.) Political influences have driven down the purchasing power of the US dollar until silk seems expensive today.

If you will reintroduce your question in the "Secret Sessions" section, I will try to help you with some "work-arounds" that will still allow you to perform the trick without ruining 3 silks each time.

Nothing on stage plays with color, air movement and light like real silk. I've done the trick with jumbo playing cards too. It is just not as effective.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicodine
View Profile
Regular user
italy
198 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Thanks Bob (and for the mail too, hope to see you in Europe). I'll post the question in the Secret Session, I'd love to know how not to ruin the silks.
magicodine
View Profile
Regular user
italy
198 Posts

Profile of magicodine
I found that I don't need to replace the silks because if I pull the bag the silk doesn't get torn, a bit damaged maybe,but you can hardly notice it once they are produced on the thread. I found a very resistent thread, the hole on the silks is that of a thin needle so the only expense is that of the bags. Because I couldn't find a lot of paper bags without bread or stuff like this drawn I decided to buy brown gift bags and although a bit expensive (I bought them in bulk though) they work fine. I found the perfect music and built a little routine so tomorrow I'll test it in front of an audience and I'll tell you how it goes.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Good Luck!

We'll look forward to your report.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Magicodine:

I am also watching this thread with interest, although I have refrained from commenting on it so far. I performed the effect many years ago and dropped it in favor of a method I invented which allowed the silks to appear visibly on the ribbon one by one as they vanished one by one from the hands of three spectators. I have not yet written up my work on this from my notes and was only reminded of it from seeing your post. I am also interested in how the audience reacts to your presentation of this earlier effect since I performed it so long ago. Then I will have to decide if my "improved" method is worth the trouble of getting it ready for publication.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicodine
View Profile
Regular user
italy
198 Posts

Profile of magicodine
You know what, I think it went well. To be honest I couldn't quite look at people while I was doing it but I heard a big gasp when I torn the paper. I also tried a little silent routine with the water suspension (not just that but that was the main thing) and that went also well. It's the first time for me to do something classic and silent and as long as I keep the routines short (2-3 minutes) I can give it a try.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Congratulations!

It sounds like a success in several categories.

The elegance of classic and silent magic is something that not many have the confidence to do.

I think you are hooked on it now.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » SILKS AND BAGS pag 457 Rice vol 1 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL