The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Balloon storage/display (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
How do other folks display or store their balloons during a party/parlor/stage act?
I use a fabric covered pvc frame (very identical to a laundry hamper).

thanks,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Phill,
For birthday shows and the like, I use a drawer box, in which the balloons "magically" appear.

On the street, I wear a giberciere with four pockets, one for mixed 260s and the other three for specialty balloons.
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
I use a plastic box that I put dividers in to keep the colors apart. I then have a menu on the front of the box for people to pick which balloon they would like. It has worked for many years. Both in Japan and in the US.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I stuff a pile in my pocket.

hmmm...
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I hang them on the side of my magic box in a custom made bag. it was made for me by DeAnna at http://www.twistemup.com.

As for the ones I've made ready to give out at the end, I use a wire and netting laundry basket. It folds up small and fits in my box, and the kids can see the balloons through them.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Do people find that 20 kids will sit and wait quietly for 15 minutes while you make balloons?

Or do you make them throughout the whole show?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Balloons are best after the show as a seperate additional act or performance.

At times during the show, it is not advised because they will play with them. Try making swords and they will be Luke Skywalker instead of watching the show.

Balloons within a routine are OK. ie. balloon to rabbit...

When I did my act with the local scouts, I pre-filled 100 balloons. And yes, they sit and watch, however, balloons making is like doing magic, you don't do it without entertainment. There are hundreds of balloon on-liners, and balloon skits that really make the momentary lull enjoyable. Many times it only takes seconds to twist a balloon. A simple dog takes 2 seconds with 3 twists on a pre-filled balloon. In five minutes everyone in a birthday party has one or more balloons. A sword takes one second and one twist, and every boy wants one.

Now if you want to get fancy, then routine an act like you would a magic show.
Dennis Michael
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Thanks for all the ideas.
Just to further clarify the "display" question, I was thinking of inflated balloons not un-inflated.

thanks,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Balloons are best after the show as a seperate additional act or performance.

Hi,
I think that this is down to personal preference, It works better for me to make balloons for the helpers as a part of the show (but I keep them until I am finnished rather than letting them take them to play with) I have ballons ready prepared for the rest of the children at the end. 40 UK kids would not sit and wait while you made balloons for them even if you tried to make it entertaining after 5 mins they would be bored.
Phillip
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
530 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I have a pumpo from tmyers and I have built a little bag to hang off the pump to store mine.

I aslo wait til after the show and after I have put all my show stuff back in my car to do balloons. This way the kids are not playing with balloons during the show and they are not playing with my magic during balloons.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Nicholas asks: "Do people find that 20 kids will sit and wait quietly for 15 minutes while you make balloons?"

Actually, yes.
I don't make the balloons during the show because they are too distracting for the audience (everyone is waiting for his or her balloon; they play with them and could disrput the show, etc.)
I finish the show and then, almost as an afterthought, show "one more thing" which involves a balloon.
It bursts and I have the kids say the "magic word" so that the (drawer) box fills up again and I make balloon animals for the room; if it's a birthday party, the "star" gets the last balloon, which is a huge, multi-balloon creation.
Some of the kids may get restless and wander off; that's fine.
But I tell a story about a trip to the zoo and those who don't have a balloon are eager to see what theirs will be; and those who do have one are eager to see what the other kids get.
However, if they want to leave, shout, holler, or whatever at that part of the the show, then that's okay, too; it's designed for that as well.
And, after all, it IS their party!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I make ballons for the helpers, they take a bow while holding it then it's placed behind me until after the show. The rest of the balloons for the kids are pre-made while they're arriving after I've set up, and during the food break. This allows me to finish, hand them their balloons, they get the party bag from the birthday mum, mum's hand and out the door they go. I pack up load the car get paid and 10 minutes after the shows finished I'm on my way to the next show.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Concerning Nicholas' question about whether kids will sit and wait: Get the L'il John Videos. He shows how to make a guessing game out of the whole thing. Whoever guesses correctly, gets to keep the balloon. As you are twisting the balloons, kids are guessing what it is - everyone gets one, but it makes it much more fun.

Ron Reid
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2003-05-30 09:43, p.b.jones wrote:
40 UK kids would not sit and wait while you made balloons for them even if you tried to make it entertaining after 5 mins they would be bored.
Phillip

Same with Aussie kids. I often get them up and moving around and playing etc. and move around the room making balloons for each child telling them to put them somewhere safe.

I thought that parents wouldn't like the idea of this since they have paid me to entertain the kids for an hour but none have ever complained or seemed to mind.

In fact, the number one concern parents have is that they think kid's won't still for an hour!
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
I rarely ever take or store preinflated balloons, except for story telliing on occasion or a quick start if I am teaching a balloon class, then I wrap an inflated 260 around the balloons and twist and use another for the other end.
I can blow them up quickly and for large crowds I have my battery inflator. I look at preinflating as giving my time away. I would rather entertain while inflating and get paid.
But the hamper sounds handy and looks professional.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I make the models ready to give out at the end because this means that the parents arriving to pick up the kids get to see the last few minutes of the show. They see the kids sitting down having fun. If they walk in and see you making balloons and some kids running around it looks like you have no control and they think it's been like that the whole party. The netting laudry basket is great for holding the models as the kids can see them, and get told they are for the good people at the end of the show.

The only Balloons I make during the magic show are for the helpers, and each model is made with it's own comedy routine.

Most of my work is 2-Hour parties, I arrive 20-25 minute early to set up, then bang out a load on models ready for the end, as the kids start arriving I make them a big bribery balloon ready for the first part of the party.

We then have 35 minutes of games followed by a 20-25 minute food break, during the food I set up the show and make the big bribery balloon model for the 2nd half, then do more models ready for the end, If they're eating in the same room, the kids get to watch me while they eat.

We then have the Magic Show which lasts 1-Hour, finishing with the birthday child magicing their own little present, getting dressed up in their own balloon outfit, (spaceman for boys, fairy for girls) they then pose for a photo (Whenever Parent's are hovering with the camera so I always take the time to get the child to pose. I then give them their balloons from the bag, the birthday mum gives them their party bags I pack up and get paid and I'm on my way to the next party 15 minutes after the magic show finishes.

So as you see doing the balloons during the foood break and before I start the party works well for me as it enables not only the parents to see the kids having fun but also it allows me to get away to my next party without delay. As I sometimes do 2-3 sometimes 4 shows on a Sat or Sun that's important.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I look at preinflating as giving my time away. I would rather entertain while inflating and get paid.

HI,
I see preinflating in a different light than you jewls. The way I see it at least for me there are times of the day when I have a lot of free time and other times when everyone wants a show. The way I see it is that by pre-inflaiting in my dead time I am allowing myself more time to perform shows. For example if you normaly do 3 shows of 45 mins on a Sat afternoon and you spend 15 mins at the end of the show making balloons you could have done 4 shows if you preinflaited.
Plus the quality of your performance would be deemed as higher as you controlled the kids all of the time. Even Tom Myers in his living room circuit book says that it is nearly impossible to get the kids to sit and watch others balloons once a child has thiers. So Tom sends them out to play once he has made them. This is not the image I want. I want those Kids under my full control sitting like little angels all of the performance that's what gets the bookings.

Yes they have to have fun but being able to control the kids is a main booking factor here in the UK. When the other mums come to pick up the kids and they see them all sitting enjoying the show that sells the show to the other mums which is also why if I do a full party I always do the show last, games first.

Phillip
mimagicman
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
17 Posts

Profile of mimagicman
The time I spend after my show making balloons for the kids is part of my time arrangement with the client and I am paid for it.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3729 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I also take the balloons pre-made (except for the one for the birthday child and his/her mother (or whomever hired me). My instructions to the mother/supervisor are, "it's best to save these as favors to give away to the children AS THEY LEAVE the party". Otherwise, half the kids will have popped or otherwise destroyed them by the time the party has finished and the parent shows up to pick 'em up. Who wants for their beautiful teddy bear balloon to end up looking like a knotty stick when they take it home? Then you end up re-making/repairing balloons, and then you're late for the next gig, since the parents will gladly ask you to re-make something that they REALLY wanted (translation: whatever they saw the next kid in line get, and they'll gladly pop theirs to get it)!

Just my two cents, and I've been ballooning for about 12 years now, for corporate clients, birthday parties and restaurants.

Steve
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Steve Thomas is exactly right. You want to be GONE before the balloons are passed out or you will be forever making balloons. Explain to the Mom that the kids will break their balloons if you hand them out and have her open the bag and let each child pick their balloon as they leave. Often, another adult can take over this task. Be sure you have several extra balloons so that even the last child has a choice. I explain to the parents that there are several extra balloons and that when the children leave, they all go to the Birthday Child as a special present. This make you look very generous. The balloons I make at the end of the show have lots of lines, gags, etc, and are a little time consuming. Sitting at home while watching TV, I can really turn ballons out quickly. I don't consider this giving away my time, I just consider it a part of the overall service I provide and charge for.

Do find out how big the party is before promising balloons for all the kids. Some birthday parties are enormous, so I explain that the fee I quote for the show and balloons includes balloons for up to 25 kids. After that, there is a charge per balloon.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Balloon storage/display (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL