The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best IET for loops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shades_of_grey
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Shades_of_grey
I first started off with Mesikas' Loops and then moved onto making them myself using Mesikas Elastic Thread.

I've just run out and was wondering if there is anything better on the market?
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
I myself think that loops are very visible and are quite fragile. I tried to make some with unstripped (black) Silk Worm thread, but that's even more visible. However, the loops are stronger. Also, I tried it with stripped black Silk Worm but that has quite the same visibility problems as loops. As you can see, I am not a loops (or IET) fan, because it's just too visible. I didn't try any other IET than Silk worm (and lycra from stockings), however, so my opinion isn't that worthy. I think that others on this forum, the experienced members, can recommend you some thread and give some tips. Good luck in your search!
Shades_of_grey
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Never had a problem with visibility myself. Sure, you have to make sure the lighting conditions are appropriate but they've never failed me in the time I've used them.

Was just wondering if there was anything newer and better out there now?
Shades_of_grey
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Looks like I'll be re-ordering Mesikas IET again.
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On 2009-07-13 15:40, Shades_of_grey wrote:
I first started off with Mesikas' Loops and then moved onto making them myself using Mesikas Elastic Thread.

Infinity v2
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
My girlfriend just tore a pair of stockings - so I thought I'd try my hand at stripping some of it, maybe make some loops too. I'm often asked to do something by colleagues, as I'm sure you are too, and I'm attending a dinner next week where I expect the lighting to be fairly soft as it is in the evening.

I was thinking that some loops may well come in handy there . . . I don't know, I've never used loops before. I'll let you guys know next week, if you're interested.
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-07-15 13:44, Rudy Sanchez wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-13 15:40, Shades_of_grey wrote:

Infinity v2

Got the sample from you Rudy, thanks! I made a few loops and trying them out. So far so good!

Candin
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does anyone know who makes this 200 feet of EIT for under 10 bucks:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/invisible-......852.html
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
I don't, but seeing the price and the (one) bad review I don't think the thread is very good...
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2009-07-19 03:16, Candin wrote:
Does anyone know who makes this 200 feet of EIT for under 10 bucks:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/invisible-......852.html

That's from MAK Magic. It's clear and fairly strong. I would have to disagree with Sanderr; the quality is not at all bad.

My personal preference is Infinity.
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
OMG. I spent about 3 hours last night getting about four 20cm lengths of elastic from my gf's stocking. The stretchiness is very cool, and the thread is almost invisible, although it tends to shine very bright when the light hits it just so.

Well, I'm going to spend another few hours tonight (it's 8am in south africa now) tying loops - I hope they don't break.
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Ok, so my gf tied them last night and I have to say that they are awesome. Very stretchy, although not too strong - I couldn't a metal utensil with it without having it break.

Also, they're very very shiny - which is a problem. So what I did was I colored the loops with a black sharpie - and it helped the visibility issue a LOT. I practised the floating ring bit yesterday, so that's what I'm going to do at the dinner tonight.
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Well, I had an absolute blast. I floated four rings and the little paper cupcake holder that this little cupcakes come in. Did for the cleaner right up to the MD. One of our drawing staff, as the ring was starting balance on end (just before it floated) started saying, "No . . .no . . .no."
Hilarious.

Coloring the loops with a sharpie definitely made a big difference.

Just a question; my gf has become fairly adept at tying these things. I was thinking of selling them to some local magi at a huge discount. Are the loops patented, or copyrighted?
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
I believe they are indeed copyrighted or something, or maybe it's just the name that's copoyrighted...
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I got to the end of the Mesika EIT and got breakage after breakage. It could be the way I tied them but unsure. I was using V2 sample before I switched back to Mesika. I know the V2 was really strong so I plan on ordering 300 ft of it now.
khead27
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of khead27
I love the infinity V2 and find it strong enough to do most levitations and the IET killer-the haunted deck. Once you've worked with it awhile, you get a feel for its breaking point and can back off on the tension.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best IET for loops (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL