The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » For Regan... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
This might also have been placed in the silk forum, but since it references something you wrote under striped canes, I'll include it here. I think you mentioned that you had tried using a white tipped black silk for the appearing cane and found it boring.

here's an alternate presentation that is still as good today as it was 40 years ago when it was featured in Dick Gustafson's lecture notes;

It's a 20th century silks presentation where you tie two white silks together and put them in a wide mouth goblet. They are then put on a table or held by an assistant. Now, you introduce a third silk ...black with a white tip. It is changed into a cane and the cane is used to pluck the silks from the glass and tossed (via the cane) into the air. When they come down...the white cornered black silk is found tied between.

The beauty of this is that the white corner silk is a perfect way to do the 20th centrury and strengthens the silk to cane effect as well.

Again, another gem from Dick Gustafson. Details are in his lecture notes , but I'm sure you can sort the whole thing out.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I made a post on that thread, but it was someone else that mentioned the white-tipped, "cane" silk.
Mister Mystery
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4397 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks for the heads up JNeal. That was me who spouted off about the white-tipped black silk being boring. Of course, I should have made it clear that that is just my opinion and I'm quite sure others would not find it so. Dick Gustafson is a truly creative magician whom I greatly admire and I'm sure he could make a miracle out of that routine. Personally, I just do not care for using an appearing cane to vanish the silk in a 20th century routine. It just seems almost like cheating to me. Oh no, I haven't become a purist have I? I swore I never would. I've seen others use that method to great effect, MagicIans on this forum for one.
But I prefer to use a change bag...not!!!
That is clever to utilize the nature of the white-tipped silk in a 20th century. Just not my "thang".
But thanks for sharing,
Bill
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I used to like to see the version where the performer tied the silks and put into his mouth to hold the knot. Vanished a third silk and pulled the two apart and found the third.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
That is a nice version Pete. I think it is Bert Douglas`s routine but Francis Martineau in Walsh Cane Routines has an excellent version as well. It starts with a cane vanish, leaving a different colored silk in each hand. These two are tied together and the knot is placed in the mouth. A rainbow silk is removed from the breast pocket and vanished. When the tied silks are pulled from the mouth the vanished silk appears between them, coming from the mouth. A billiard ball is produced from the silks and vanished, only to reappear in the mouth.
Other 2 nice versions are 20th Century Cane and Silk by Alan Shaxon that he published in Practical Sorcery and John Penrose Crystal Silk Blow from his Cabaret Collections.

Bojan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » For Regan... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL