We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Looking for a routine with the Janus card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
I'm looking to do a 5 card poker routine using the Janus card and am looking for ideas. I know of course that the person getting the card will lose the hand - but I want to be able to have the spectator deal the cards (that one is easy), have an opportunity to look at the cards and take the ones he/she wants, give me some of their cards and take some from my hand.....you get the idea.

Is there anything out there that you can recommend my reading?

Dov
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
I don't know what the Janus card is/means, but what you describe makes me think of Luke Jermay's "10 Card Poker Deal":

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1598
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Thanks bikoz. That's exactly what I was looking for. And I goofed (but only a little). It is called the Jonah card (not the Janus card) and is also referenced in Simon Aronsons book on his marked deck (cards from 29 through 39 will work for the 10 card poker deal). I also recently learned that Aldo Columbini has a 10 card poker deal effect available on dvd.

It's a great routine - thanks for the reply.

Dov
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Darwin Ortiz' at the Card Table also has a 10-card poker deal.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The ten card poker deal with a Jonah card is a very old idea. It appears in print and on DVDs in many locations. Many folks, as mentioned above, have added some wrinkles to the basic premise. If you are interested in this concept, I highly recommend Nick Trost's "Showdown" which was marketed as a stand-alone effect and also is explained in his book: The Card Magic of Nick Trost. The final phase of this routine is just incredible. After the hands have been dealt, and just before they are turned up to reveal the winner, you give the spectator the opportunity to exchange his hand for yours. If he does... he loses. If he doesn't... he loses. And there is NO sleight of hand.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Thanks Dennis. I know that book was out of print for a while. Do you happen to know if is back in circulation? I know Nick has another book called "gambling tricks with cards" as well as "mental card miracles."

Dov
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Dennis,

Based on your recommendation (and after viewing an entire thread about Nick's book here on the Café) I went ahead and purchased it from Mad Hatter.

Thanks again for the reply,

Dov
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The Card Magic of Nick Trost is back in print. Here's a link to one place you can get it:
https://loomismagic.com/item16005.htm

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Just got Nick Trost's book and have to agree with you - there's lots of great stuff in it. As for the 10 card poker deal - well, I didn't see any real difference with his than with Aldo Columbini's or Luke Jermay's version. None the less - there really is some really good information in the book.

Dov
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My version, "The World's WORST Card Player," is available as an instant download from my website, about halfway down this page:
http://www.scottfguinn.com/cardmagic.asp
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Thanks for the reply Scott. You have some really good ideas and I have read a lot of your stuff.

dov
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Scott,

Didn't you do a sponge ball routine with peanut butter and jelly? I use it all the time - think it's great!

Dov
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
401 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Dov:

Do you have references for the Columbini and Jermay routines? I'd apprecaite them if you do. Thank you.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The Aldo Colombini 10 Card Poker Deal is the best in my opinion hands down. There are 5 phases and each gets stronger. It ends with the performer writing a prediction, the spectator shuffling, and the performer winning with the cards located in the exact positions on the prediction. It's REALLY REALLY good and a SOLID worker. Aldo's routine has a phase similar to what you say. You show the person every card and the spectator decides if he gets it or if the performer gets the card.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 20:24, dfeder wrote:
Scott,

Didn't you do a sponge ball routine with peanut butter and jelly? I use it all the time - think it's great!

Dov

Yes--and thanks!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To dfeder,
You didn't see any difference? Are you reading the Showdown routine? It's the only routine in the world that allows the spectator to choose either hand after the cards and dealt, and he loses no matter which he chooses.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Thanks for pointing that out Dennis. For some reason I didn't see that. It eluded me - like magic.

I'll revisit Nick's book.

Dov
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
Maybe just simply switch the 5 cards in your hand that would have been easier!!!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 11:35, S2000magician wrote:
Darwin Ortiz' at the Card Table also has a 10-card poker deal.

and, IMHO, it's one of the best of any other that I know, but it's not the effect where I'm the most knowledgeable. I need for example to recheck Aldo's routine.

The best presentation was however without contest Gary Ouellet's one in The Greater Magic Video Library Magic from Canada vol 2.

I find Luke Jermay's being repetitive technically.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Check out "Double ***ed" from By Forces Unseen (1993, Minch)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Looking for a routine with the Janus card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL