The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Who Packs / Ships magic books the best? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Just wondering what your experiences are in the quality of the PACKING when books are shipped. Most of the time, my books come in a box that gets dropped and the corners of the books end up bent (pet peeve of mine). Kaufman uses these wonderful book mailers that are thin, but extend over the edges, kind of like a flattened candy wrapper. They're the best. I've never seen anyone else do this.

Can anyone recommend a company that takes good care when they pack/ship your books?

thanks,

- Frank
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I think they will all put your book in a box if you ask.

H&R magic books certainly will.

I'm the opposite to you in regards to bent corners!
If I can get a book sent cheaply in a mailer I'm happy if the corners get bashed but I do want great information within!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
From me, I've never had any problems from the shipping from H & R either or Amazon.

Also, I ship Tabman Magic in a fitted box I get from Uline, the S319. No complaints so far. Under $3 Media Mail and I pay the postage. I designed the book to fit the box perfectly.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I ship my books in U-Line mailers which are lined on the inside with bubblewrap. I also use the Priority Mail cartons. I still place the books in bubblewrap envelopes for extra protection inside those cartons.

The books I get from my printer come in special book cartons with 12 in a case. Sometimes even these get dented in shipment. Those books I sell at a discount through the Café or Genii Forum.

The bottom line is, if Newman is delivering your books, you're doomed no matter what how good the packing is. Smile

Larry Smile
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
I bought some books from Hank Lee recently - these got shipped to Sunny Australia and were in fantastic condition.

Admittedly, they were sent via Fed-ex, but I don't think this would affect the way in which the books where packed.

Newman!!!!
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
I have never had an issue with any books ordered from H&R,Hocus Pocus, L+L, Loomis, circlecitymagic, Magicproshop or Penguin Magic. The only times I have had difficulty due to poor shipping is when purchasing from individuals over the internet on sites such as Ebay.
Northern California
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
I'm happy with http://www.themagicwarehouse.com using standard Air mail USPS service.

jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
antonio123
View Profile
Regular user
Croatia
138 Posts

Profile of antonio123
Vanishing Magic amazed me. I order High Spots (wonderful book) on a Sunday. On Wendnesday the book arrived at home (Germany). that's really fast.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks to hbwolkov for mentioning Loomis Magic. We ship everything by Priority Mail and use their sturdy cartons. I do a little "extra" taping on the outside to assure they do not come apart in transit. Things inside are always padded with popcorn or bubble wrap not only as extra protection, but to be sure that the contents do not move around during shipment.

I've not received any complaints at anything being damaged in shipment except for the occasional DVD which has managed to break loose inside it's case. If such damage does occur (it's pretty rare) we replace the damaged disk, of course.

Denny
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
There are plenty of good ones (many of those already named here), but from my experience the best is H&R, and the worst is MJM.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
If you are a biblophile I understand you want your books in pristine condition.

MJM must have one of the best international postage rates for light items.

A pet hate of mine is dealers who pack items such as hat tears and sponge balls in box's! Then there is no one at home when the delivery guy rings the bell because the item won't fit in the mail box..
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
MarkyMark - Thanks for the plug. We typically ship many of our books in ULine bubble wrapped mailers for protection, although if a book is larger than usual, highly expensive, or UPON REQUEST, we will always ship it in a box. I highlight the "on request" part because there have been times people have ordered something which could easily and safely fit in a padded envelope but they requested a box, and of course, we always listen to our customers.

Quote:
There are plenty of good ones (many of those already named here), but from my experience the best is H&R, and the worst is MJM.

That is the first complaint I have heard in over four years about our packaging, which we are always very careful and mindful about. I welcome you to please bring any issues you have up to our attention as soon as it happens so that we can take care of it for you. I have never heard that you had a problem with one of our packages until now.... If anything ever arrives damaged, we are always good to replace it, free of charge, as most of our customers will tell you.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Hey Jeff,
Your customer service is second to none, which is why I continue to order from you, but I have had a number of dented corners on many of the books you've sent me, and that likely has to do with the way they are packed. You are always very obliging, but the OP was asking about careful packing and shipping, and based on my experience I feel that I offered an honest response. Even so, I rank MJM on my top ten list of GREAT on-line dealers.
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Magiguy - Thanks for the honesty. I just want to make sure you get taken care of. Like I said, we always take personal direction from our customers, so if you order another book and want it shipped in a box, simply leave that in your order comments and we'll take care of the rest!

Always looking to improve here!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Another shout out to MJM and H&R.

Cheers,

Chris
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 08:38, Guerrilla Magic wrote:
Another shout out to MJM and H&R.

H & R distributed their very first used book list on MAGIC!, The Global Magicians Network in the late 80s and they continue to be one of the top sources for books for Magicians. (A historic archive of the MAGIC! BBS can be found at http://mfbtw.com)

-=tab
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-07-15 18:17, tabman wrote:
Also, I ship Tabman Magic in a fitted box I get from Uline, the S319. No complaints so far.

Drat. I just got my first "crushed corner" report. I'm gonna send her a new book if she wants. I know how she feels having had it happen to me before. Double box I guess is the answer.

-=tabman

wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
I prefer Stevens Magic Emporium. They are very businesslike and unlike many dealers communicate very well with the customer. I've never had a problem with a book ordered from them and I order a lot.

David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Who Packs / Ships magic books the best? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL