The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Cleaning Egg etc. off Silk and other props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Since much of my life in the last couple of years has included demonstrating the use of eggs with silks and other props, a frequent question seems to need discussion.

How do you get egg off of silk and other props? (Yep! It happens when real eggs are used in magic.)

Of course, I don't recommend getting egg on your silk or props. But it does happen.

Rule #1 - Try to restrict the exposure to just the egg white. It is the easiest of the two (white and yoke) to clean away.

Rule #2 - Assume you'll get it clean again! (Odds are in your favor.)

Egg is not likely to hurt silk. That is the good news. The bad news is that it can remove paint from your painted props. In my experience it has never damaged real leather either. Eggs are bad news to protective coatings! (Ever seen an egged car?)

The cleaning secret is the same as for blood on silk: COLD WATER! (Works on leather too.) For painted surfaces use a sponge. Getting silk or leather very wet is only a problem if allowing them to dry naturally is a problem.

Yes, you will need to iron silk afterward. Leather may need brushing with a shoe brush.

I wish I had some high-priced high-tech solution to sell you. But plain cold water works best.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Many of the good closeup tables have real leather suede tops.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
You are so right, Bob! Protein stains require COLD water. Who would have thought that cold water would work so well. Hot water actually sets the stain into the fabric. Hot water is used in the process of dyeing fabrics. Great tip!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Another tid-bit: Clean up as soon as possible after the accident. The longer the goo is in the silk, the more likely a stain will set in. Keep a couple of empty ziploc bags in your magic kit.

Have an egg break? as soon as possible after the show, rinse out as much goop as you can and seal the damp silks in the bag. Go back home (or to your room) and do the cold water wash as soon as you get in the door. Rinse very well. Drape the silks on a wood or plastic hanger. By morning, the silks should be ready for pressing with a steam iron between two towels.

Take care of your props and they will take care of you.

Dave
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
David,

I need more help! I've tried the towels on my face for years. The wrinkles just keep coming. Do I really have to use the iron?

Bob

PS --- Enjoyed our phone conversation the other day.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Cleaning Egg etc. off Silk and other props (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL