The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Origins of Dai Vernon's Cups & Balls Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Does anybody know when Vernon developed his C&B Routine (referring here to his standard C&B routine as described in detail by Lewis Ganson in his book "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic")? I'm also interested in finding out when the routine was first published. Ganson's book suggests that Harry Stanley published it in 1957. Also, Vernon's "Impromptu Balls" routine which incorporates many of the elements of the standard Vernon routine was published in "Stars of Magic" in 1949. Does anyone know of a published source (describing the routine in detail) earlier than this?

One other thing : it's usually said that Vernon's routine was based on Max Malini's. How do we know this for sure? Did Vernon himself say that his routine was based on Malini's? I know that Vernon said that he was influenced by Malini's novel method of loading from pockets rather than a servante but I'm not aware of any specific indication Vernon ever gave that the actual construction of his routine was based on Malini's (or Kreiger's, for that matter). As far as I know, Malini's routine was never published in any detail so it is not possible to do a proper comparison.

Fortasse
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Good question. I bet Prof. Diaconis would know, or Ricky Jay... but they don't talk.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
632 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Part of the routine comes from Hoffman and I know part of the routine comes from Al Baker's routine. I believe there is also some Pops Krieger in there.

When getting ready for his cups and balls DVD Bob White told me that the only thing he couldn't find in print was the Vernon loading sequence. He thinks (and I agree) that portion is all Vernon.

I'm not very knowledgeable concerning the history of conjuring and am sure other's know more. .....I just thought I'd chime in with my 2c.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Look at the Stars of Magic. The version with the paper covered glasses has a number of the same bits in it. It was printed originally as one of the Stars of Magic individual lessons. The copyright date on the compilation is 1961, but the individual pieces came out much earlier than that.

I know he was doing it before 1955.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
The Vernon Bio has a bit of information about where he performed early on. It wouldn't provide any specifics of which moves or sequences he was using.
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
Maybe David Ben knows more? Might be worthwhile sending him a mail.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
The copyright on Vernon's routine in Stars of Magic is actually 1949 (series 5, no.1). In looking at this again last night, I noticed that in the introduction it says that the routine is there being explained for the very first time. Although it is the "Impromptu Cups & Balls routine", it's essentially the standard routine, right down to the patter for the "false explanation" during the loading sequence at the end.

Unless anyone knows of an earlier publication, it looks very much like the 1949 Stars of Magic article (in which Vernon appears as his own photographic model) can claim to be the earliest detailed description of what is clearly the most influential C&B routine of the modern era.

I'm still interested, however, in the supposed influence that Malini had in the development of the Vernon routine. Again, I have read nothing that supports such a claim apart from the fact that Vernon followed Malini's example in loading from pockets rather than a servante.

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That coincides fairly well with what I found on Ask Alexander. The original copyright dates of the individual parts of the Stars of Magic series were not present in the 1961 combined edition.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I'd ask Lawrence O.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Or Johnny Thompson.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Origins of Dai Vernon's Cups & Balls Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL