The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Josephus Hobbs & Eddie Garland present a Hobbs & Co. find! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Great Piece by Eddie Garland--certainly brings up the ghost of Ken Burns and a PBS Documentary--Loved watching the Departed in action. Can't wait to get it shipped to me!
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Wow! That was an amazing piece. Great Work. That Bell is FLYING!!!

Shipping Starts Tomorrow......
Powers of the Mime
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Powers of the Mime
This looks good, but wasn't the Jack the Ripper stuff was going to be the first products for Hob's? It’s great to see Mr. Garland and Mr. Roth teaming up with Dr. Spektor to get this going. This is what the Café is supposed to be about.

Joe
:clown:
A mime is a terrible thing to waste.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2009-07-15 20:58, Powers of the Mime wrote:
This looks good, but wasn't the Jack the Ripper stuff was going to be the first products for Hob's? It�s great to see Mr. Garland and Mr. Roth teaming up with Dr. Spector to get this going. This is what the Caf� is supposed to be about.

Joe

Not related in any way.

"Hobbs & Co." is a fictional Magic Company created by OutLaw Effects

"Hobbs Lane" is a fictional location from a 1958 BBC science fiction TV series and the proposed location of Dr. Spektor's shop.

"Hobbs End" is found in several works of fiction.

"Hobbs" is nickname for the devil.

YouTube version of The Departed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_4pn9vd60
Powers of the Mime
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Sorry, I saw the name and the other thread and thought they were related. I'm just a poor Mime, what do I know?

Which came first, Hobbs and Co. or Hob's Lane? Inquiring Mimes, want to know.

Joe
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
No, I have nothing to do with this. Hob's Lane was a project I was talking about a few years ago around here... getting things slowly rolling... a couple of years ago I pitched the name... in fact, Eddie made a nice beginning piece with Jack the Ripper Shadow appearing in a door... the Hob martian appearing in the sky line... my Hob is based on an old Quatermass concept that ties in wonderfully with HPL. Maybe that old clip might come forth someday.

Then Hobbes and Company appeared at Outlaw shortly after. Probably just a coincidence... at the time I got a ton of PMs and e-mails asking if I had become a partner with Outlaw... and as I told others and I will say now... nope. Guess Rick liked the name Hobbes...sort of like the key box for Luna concept after a magician came up with that concept at the magic castle - but I think Rick thanked him at some point after the production of the item - I could be wrong. I do not own the name "Hob" Smile... but hey, I'm still getting PM's.

Indeed, The Jack the Ripper File is the first Hob's Lane item that will be produced... wait for the website. I am a Londonophile thanks to Hammer films, the BBC and the like.

In any case, the Departed looks like a nice kit. Tim Wisseman makes excellent things - I think I own most of his non-Outlaw products including some non-marketed items (like EMF ghost detectors Smile). I am sure collectors of Spirt Bells will look at this. Having his Spirit Telegraph and Dead Ringer, I'll wait for the reviews... as I am saving to buy the Wegner Bell next.

Hope that clarifies it all.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Powers of the Mime
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Sho Nuff, thank you. All Clear.
Here is a motto, "With a name like Hobs, it's good for the Nicking"
Get it, Nick, Hobs,
:firedevil:
I crack myself up.

And Mr. Garland sure does great videos.

Joe
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Such beauty!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Nice work as always Mr. Garland. I can't wait for this to arrive on my doorstep! After watching the video, I'm even more excited!

Chad
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Just want to clarify a time line. This is a post from my Witches Almanac thread by Dr. Specter:

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:43pm
IT ARRIVED TODAY!!!

"I Give this 3 Alpha/Omegas out of 1.

Holy crap - The Tarot Cards are so nice.... What a beautiful icing to the perfect cake.... This is *** *** *** good stuff.

Roth, you are one of the greatest of heroes for the realm of bizarre and mentalism! You and Dr. Bill have knocked this one out of the ether and into the hyperdimensional planes (where mankind has not yet trod)....

Besides the Something Wicked This Way Comes,.... you do realize of course this ties in CARNIVAL????

I also plan to tie this into the Incorruptible and Higley items I have...

Holy gosh bezeejus on a pogo stick....

(Incomprehensible babbling as I look over the pages and the cards with my demonic minions.)

EXCELSIOR!"

The second page of the Witch book has a copyright page that says:

1837 Josephus Hobbs
1938 Hobbs & Co.

Dr. Spektor not only didn't seem to have a problem with Hobbs and Co. in 2007 he LOVED it.

Anyway I just wanted to clear up the fact that Ive been using Hobbs & Co. as a fictional part of my story lines for 3 years now.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Like I said, I don't own the name Hob, Hobb, Hobbe, or Hobbes.

My use of Hob's Lane goes back years, since it inspired me to create routines since I saw the original Quatermass and the Pit serial when I was a kid. No secret since I have talked about that film and routines with people around the MC for years since I got here. Big deal. Many people like the name Hob.

I loved the Witches Almanac Concept... I don't recall raving "I LOVE HOBBS and CO."....

So, who csres? Let's put it this way - both of us like Hob and Hobbes and move on - the key message is NO, I AM NOT IN ANY WAY ASSOCIATED WITH OUTLAW and likely won't ever be.

If you are saying in any way Hob's Lane comes as a rip-off from Hobbes & Co., rather than go through any headaches, I will toss the entire project in the dustbin and move on from here. I should have likely done so anyway ages ago with the weirdness that goes on here. That is why I moved off the Penny and hung out here... but seems this place is getting similar.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Bruce I would like to see Hobs Lane some day. I wish you all the luck with whatever endeavors you have planned.

Now if we can get this thread back on track I can go eat some pizza that's getting cold Smile
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
That's what happens when the bell rings.

This time it is the dinner bell, pizza. (I PMed you Rick)

As others have said, Eddie did another fantastic job on the video.

Tony Iacoviello
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Great film, congratulation.
I really like the Carnie/real stuff connection.
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Rick Roth is back and stirring the product cup with three big ones!
The Departed, the Templar, and Opus Diablo. Looks like the Departed is the first one to be released for this mid-Summer. Eddie Garland's vids are tremendous! And Rick Roth's products are beyond genius!
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
I once went to a showing of Quatermass and the Pit at a cinema in Manchester without realizing that after the film Nigel Kneale was going to be interviewed live on stage. Wonderful surprise. Amazing man! One of the first writers at the BBC when the BBC only had two writers! He was asked whether Quatermass and the Pit was about the Nazis and he just said, "My wife was a Jewish refugee."

The Departed arrives at my home tomorrow. I don't think I'll sleep tonight.

s
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
Jubin
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Jubin
The film is wonderful and the Departed looks really great!

All my congratulations!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 08:41, StuartNolan wrote:

The Departed arrives at my home tomorrow. I don't think I'll sleep tonight.

s

According to the rappings, you won't sleep the other nights either...
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
The Departed is amazing-looking in its age-weathered simplicity. A great back-story, and so creepy indeed. Can't wait to see this beautiful work in person (and KILLER job with the film, Eddie!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Josephus Hobbs & Eddie Garland present a Hobbs & Co. find! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL