The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Blaine style double lift (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
worldasillusion
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of worldasillusion
Quote:
On 2005-07-30 14:40, Dannydoyle wrote:
pushing and bending it against your left palm, I mean it just looks goofy to me.

That's true, it is rather goofy. The Ellusionist folks just love it, but they're kinda goofy too.
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
Sorry for interrupting: Blaines doublelift is good and deceptive. He is a professional magician and that what suits his style. He fooled loads of people with it. Natural is what you make the audicence think is natural.

Are there better method? Yes! Vernon DL
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-07-30 14:40, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why would anyone want to duplicate the Blaine double anyway?

It is tough to do without a camera to get your hand out of frame anyway. There are LOTS of better lifts to say the least.

Worst of all that "bending the card" thing flexing it to show it is one card I guess, looks stupid. who shows a card like that? nobody I can think of. pushing and bending it against your left palm, I mean it just looks goofy to me.

I use it. Or at least I use what I learned in the Dingle book which is a lot like Martin Nash's Knockout Double (I think it's called). I like it because it feels natural to me and there's no get ready at all.

Blaine learned it from somebody who learned it from somebody who got it from either Dingle or Nash.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
894 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Blaine's double lift the Ken Krenzel "Drag Double Lift" taught in "Signature Effect," in Darwin Ortiz's "CardShark?"
joudini
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of joudini
He uses the Stud Two-Card Push Off Lift by Steve Draun.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of PapaG
If you look in the latest Castle Notebooks, this lift can be attributed to Dai Vernon circa 1966.
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
"Naturalness" is overrated. There was nothing "natural" about the way Ascanio handled cards but he fooled laymen.
Apparently David Blaine does as well......
Use a double with confidence and don't look at your hands and you'll fool most of the people most of the time.
JMO.....
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Mentioned this on another DL thread...does no one here misdirect their DL turnovers? Look at someone like Michael Vincent. If you watched him you probably wouldn't notice the DL technique because it always happens on an off beat.
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
Interestingly enough Michael Vincent is a Dingle protege.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2005-05-31 03:19, Logan wrote:
Unlike shuffling, there is only one straight-forward way to turn a card over - I don't see why it has to be convoluted unecessarily.

The strike double accomplishes this very well, and if done sequentially alternating between doubles and singles, is undetectable.

Actually if you asked a layman to turn over the top card of a deck nearly 100% of them will turn it over stud style as that's how they learn to do it from playing cards, which is what laymen DO with cards.

Laymen who don't play cards usually approach the pack from the inner end,fingers drag the top card off towards themselves. Nothing at all like a strick double.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I thought it looked similar to Gary Oulettes double lift...but it seems everyone has a different opinion on what he uses. I prefer a strike double, as my singles then look like my doubles.

However, no matter what you use, be it for singles, doubles or triples, though we can talk now about them being or looking unnatural etc, how many times have you had a spectator say 'I don't turn cards over like that, why do you do it in such an unnatural fashion', or even 'Hey...wait a minute, you didn't turn the cards over like that a second ago, why did you do it like that then...i think you are doing something sneaky mister!'... Smile

People don't care! The natural behaviour isn't the action, it is just doing it! Turn over the cards and no suspicion will be arroused. If you just turn over a card, people won't care if you did it the way Dingle/Krenzel/Oulette did it, or evevn Daryl or Martin Nash! You turned over a card, that is all that matters, and I think it seems to have got congested and lost in what seems to have been answers to a simple question
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Remagicon
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere over the Rainbow
124 Posts

Profile of Remagicon
Here's my little tid-bit on the Dingle double lift and my pros and cons as far as I can see it.
Pros:
Easy (for me) to do
No get-ready
Flourishy (a subtlety of showing skill)
Convincing (I don't think laymen will think that two cards can be turned over in such an elaborate fashion)
Easy to turn back over (don't need to execute another whole double lift to do this as opposed to the Strike double)

Cons:
Lack of get-ready means either you angle your initial push-off to hide the squaring up or you have to be really good to do it while your hands are being burned
It's not natural in that its not close to how a laymen turns over a card, this is exchanged for the flourish subtlety
When pushing up the card against the left thumb, it must be angled and squared perfectly or else!
Triple lifts are hard
"Ars Est Celare Artem"
It is art to hide art
WesleyBryan
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of WesleyBryan
Some people say that the double lift that Blaine does is unnatural. Is it? Can it be natural, yet graceful at the same time? Something done gracefully won't necessarily resemble it being done by your average layperson. It can be considered a flourish. No?
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
I'll just stick to the way I learned it from Harry Lorayne book back in 67.
It's the best DL, just like all of his work.

Harry Lorayne

Harry Lorayne

Harry Lorayne
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8495 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
What good taste you have, Tree. Best - Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
LOL Harry!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On May 30, 2003, Clarence wrote:
Honestly speaking, if you are going to get a break, I say just do a pinky count double lift.

The nice thing about the push-off double lift is that you don't have to get a break.

It's based on skill, practice and a lot of self-experimenting.

The feeling of the push-off double lift will be different for everyone. Push at different positions, see which feels best, then go for that one.

Smile

I agree Clarence the push off is a great natural looking DL My problem with it is no matter how much I practice it I still get 3 cards from time to time
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On May 21, 2013, Tree wrote:
I'll just stick to the way I learned it from Harry Lorayne book back in 67.
It's the best DL, just like all of his work.

Harry Lorayne

Harry Lorayne

Harry Lorayne

Which one does Mr. Lorayne favor?
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On May 21, 2013, WesleyBryan wrote:
Some people say that the double lift that Blaine does is unnatural. Is it? Can it be natural, yet graceful at the same time? Something done gracefully won't necessarily resemble it being done by your average layperson. It can be considered a flourish. No?

I think sometimes as magicians we are too critical. Half the time spectators wouldn't notice if you counted out two cards in your hands and turned them over right in front of them. However I guess its a good idea to do it until it is good enough to do and be approved by fellow magicians
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1016 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, TCB wrote:
My problem with it is no matter how much I practice it I still get 3 cards from time to time

Solution 1:
Push three, get break. Push again, you now have two.

Solution 2:
Push three, reset, push again, you now have two.

I am sure you can chit-chat your way out of that inconsistency in lifting the top card.

P!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Blaine style double lift (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL