The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Blaine style double lift (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I think the lift does look natural. Yes, no layman would handle the cards that way to turn a card over, but no layman will fan the cards either (or do cardsprings, ribbon spreads, swing cuts etc etc etc). Heck, and this might suprise magicians, most people don't spread cards to let someone else choose one only to let it be returned to the pack, they play cardgames with it like poker.
If you are a magician it is known that you handle cards often and practise often. I think it looks graceful, just a graceful way to handle the cards and to turn a card over.

being "natural" doesn't mean you are ought to handle the deck in a clumsy way, it means that you handle it in a way being consistent with your "character/persona".
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6755 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Contrary to many of the posts I'm reading here, a stud style lift is very natural in the right hands. Give a deck to a layman and tell him to turn over the top card. There's a good chance he will turn it over stud style.
See Jamy Ian Swiss' Dissertation for further analysis.
Do I like Blaine's handling. Not particularly.
But Nash, Dingle, Krenzel, Steve Draun understood the power of this style of lift.
Executed properly, it is extremely deceptive.
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2014, Ado wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, TCB wrote:
My problem with it is no matter how much I practice it I still get 3 cards from time to time

Solution 1:
Push three, get break. Push again, you now have two.

Solution 2:
Push three, reset, push again, you now have two.

I am sure you can chit-chat your way out of that inconsistency in lifting the top card.

P!

Good Points Ado. I guess my problem is I am trying to do it without looking at the deck. Therefore I sometime don't know I have three until I turn them over, and immediatly know by the feel that it's three. Also I found that the push off DL is easier with slightly older cards. I also know what you mean about reseting while you are chatting. That does work Smile
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
vargoj
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of vargoj
Quote:
On May 30, 2003, Andrew Wong wrote:
Hi,

I wander which kind of double lift David Blaine uses??? Normally, I will do the snap double, but some how I would like to know what kind of double is that?? Any help would be great!!

Thanks!!

Andrew Smile
Good lord, I had no idea any body else used the snap double, its great. Its practically a one-handed double, move your arm while doing the thumb count and you are good
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
I do the same kind of lift. Most people say he's handling it fancy. I agree with Erdnase27. It's just a nice way to turnover cards.

I've only heard spec say "he kept doing this weird flipping thing".
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2003, Nash wrote:
Forget Blaine's double.

Master Pinky Count, then you can pretty much do whatever kind of double life you want once you get this invisible get-ready.
I usually move from pinky count, then keep the break with my ring finger, then push the cards to the right with my thumb, applying pressures between my thumb and ring finger to keep the two cards in place, double turn over.
Done. (It sounds complicated but all that is done in less than a 3 seconds)

Trust me, if you don't trust me, trust Darwin Ortiz.
Pinky count is a "must" for every magician.
It is the best get-ready for double lift, or add on moves, or switch ins, best of all, it is totally invisible.
Smile

The *** Pinky count isn't an easy move to master. It feels awkward, and I always feel like I am putting to much presure with the ring and middle fingers, when all the pressure should be on the pinky and thunb. I guess there is no short cut you just have to keep doing it until you get it one day. Or maybe it will be like the Thumb fan which no matter how long I practice I still cant get those real pretty round ones
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
This post was from (nearly) 11 years ago... if the original poster still cannot do the DL he requested, the he has discovered girls and magic is but a memory.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Blaine style double lift (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL