The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » First Chop Cup Suggestions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2658 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I've been focusing so much on my stage act that I've been neglecting my close up work and would love to get back into it.
Can anyone give suggestions for good chop cups as well as any recommendations for DVDs to help me in this area? I've never worked with a chop cup before...it's gimmicked in some way though, correct?
Thanks for any advice you might have!
Andrew
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
-Matt
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
For your first chop cup, the actual cup is not as important as you might think. The Morrissey cups are good first cups.

Once you have developed a routine and figured out what you want to do with it, then go for one of the better chop cups -- RnT II, Riser, Sherwood, etc.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Ron Wilson/Larry Jennings routine is as good as it gets.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2658 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thanks for the ideas!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Also, check out the immense number of chop cups from the past and present at http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com .

You will need a username and password. Just follow the instructions on the first page, and the curator will send you a username and password within 24 hours.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2658 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I've browsed the site very briefly before but never really delved into it, so I will check it out. It's a very cool idea!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Practically any cup will work, it's the routine that makes it. Check Ron Wilson's in his book, "The Uncanny Scot" - he makes his from a paper coffee cup.

Not a chop cup, but well worth study:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ic9qpdN478
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
L & L's DVD of The Chop Cup features routines by Davis Regal, John Mendoza, Gary Ouellet, Danny Tong, Steve Dacri, Jim Swain, and Larry Jennings. Just remember, however, that the cup doesn't HAVE to looks like a magician's prop.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a version you can get from Jedinat Zaubershop called Kaffee-Wette. It works with just about ANY coffee mug.

It's very slick. The instructions are German, but once you see the gaff, you will understand intuitively how it works.

Also, get the Ron Bauer book about Don Alan's Chop Cup routine. If you can't find one, let me know. I may have an extra copy around. I think I may have Don's DVD, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bill,

Do you have website information on Jedinat Zaubershop?

Perhaps an English version, even?

KG
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Andrew,

I'll second http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/ too. The curator is a great guy, although I am surprised he hasn't kicked me out as I spend far too much time in there....

Bri
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2009-07-18 16:53, kentfgunn wrote:
Bill,

Do you have website information on Jedinat Zaubershop?

Perhaps an English version, even?

KG

Hi Kent -

Here's a link to Jedinat Zaubershop's effect that Bill mentioned above:

http://www.jedinat-zaubershop.de/shop/sh......1802.htm

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2658 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thanks for all of the info! I went down to Hollywood Magic today and picked up a silver cup that looks roughly like what Jim Swain uses in his routine that I caught on YouTube in an L&L video segment. Large enough to take a baseball as a final load.
Now to work on a good routine for it!

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 11:49pm
So I've been working with the chop cup since I got home (I know, it's only been a few hours) and my problem is that in order to get the ball to come out I need to basically slam the cup down onto my close up pad to make it happen. It seems like it's completely obvious when I'm doing it because I have to put the cup down so hard it makes it look like I'm angry or something.
Any ideas on how to fix that?
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Do a search in the Secret Sessions section. There is a lot on chop cups gaffs and balls there...
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This thread will help:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=37

This thread will help with adjustments:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=37 The info you need is near the bottom of the thread.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2658 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thanks for the advice! Clearly I'm new to how these babies work.
The tips were certainly helpful in making the magic happen. Now to figure out how to get the thing to wind up in a shot glass...that's only working about 5% of the time Smile
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I don't like using the shot glass, it makes for too much to carry.
It also seems a bit extraneous too.
Just my opinion though.
"But there isn't a door"
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2658 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'm still playing around with the idea. I'm not too concerned about carrying it around since I have plenty of space in my case and I like having a few different options.
Coincidentally it's a London Underground shot glass...my girlfriend went to Uni in Leeds. I spent quite a bit of time there!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Too much to carry? The shot glass goes inside the cup.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » First Chop Cup Suggestions? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL