The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Monti Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
You know I have missed out on a couple of Monti sets lately... Now I know who's been buying them all up! Smile

Bruce has worked out a great comparison of 3 different Monti sets which I thought I would like to share with you all....
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Monti-Comparison.html

The Monti are a much loved design and a classic and it's nice to see 3 sets side by side....

Thanks Bruce!

Bri
:cups:
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Nice write up.

Thanks to Bruce for writing it, and to Bri for sharing it here.

I have two sets of Monti's; one in stainless steel and the other in copper. The copper cups are my favorite of the sets. Interesting to note that, as Bruce mentioned the cups can be stacked interchangeably, however there is a slight difference in final load size between my sets of these cups. The copper cups accommodate a slightly larger load than do the stainless. Bruce, have you noticed this with your Monti's?

Best,

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
Glad to see you're enjoying those stainless steel Monties, Bruce!
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Just to F.Y your I. There is a set of steel R&T cups up on ebay just now. Now that I think of it these are Bells of St.M, not Monty proper. please disregard.

P
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bells of St. Mary's ARE Monti cups. The set on eBay is an original set of BOSM.

The BOSM originally were steel, chrome plated cups. They are as tough as nails. I have a set that I have owned since the 1970's, as well as a set that belonged to Mike Rogers. Mike Brazill debuted these at Magic in the Rockies. When Earl Reum saw them, he said, "They sound like the Bells of St. Mary's", and the name stuck.

Before then, they were just called "Chrome Plated Steel Monti" cups.

BTW, it is "Monti," for Harry Monti, not "Monte," as in Three Card Monte, or "Monty," as in "The Full Monty."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Bri,
thanks for putting this up.

Bruce,
thanks for another great review.
"But there isn't a door"
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Of all the original Monti cups, the Bells of St. Mary's are my favourites. A lot of heft to these cups and a great sound to them.

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The irony of this, for me, is that I had these cups in my box of "goodies I don't think I'll get rid of" before I really got serious about collecting cups.

To tell the truth, the Monti cups are a much better cup than the Paul Fox cup as far as load capacity. It is just a tiny bit larger, which means that you don't have to fuss too much about lacrosse balls. Harry Monti, who designed the Monti cups, told me that there was a particular red sponge rubber ball that he designed the cups around, not the lacrosse ball.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
I just got back in town, DC James thanks for reading the review and yes if the lacrosse ball is pushed into the stainless Cups it will stick a little… nothing setting them down hard won’t fix.

Ethan, yes I am enjoying the stainless Cups a lot, thanks for parting with them.

Bill, one day I hope to have a set of Bells of St Mary’s Cups to round out my collection. I just received the remainder of my RNT2 orders. Included was a set of PF Cups… so I can’t wait to get home tonight and use them.

Best wishes,
Bruce
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Bill :

How did they get that copper on the Original Monti's to look so gorgeous and to remain tarnish-free all through the years. Amazing, isn't it? I don't think I've seen another set of copper cups with a more attractive hue. Reminds me of the colour of an Irish Setter, only more luminous. (The mini/mid Morrissey cups are this way too).

Fortasse
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 17:55, fortasse wrote:
Reminds me of the colour of an Irish Setter, only more luminous.

Those Setters don't nest well, but they do a great two-ball display Smile
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Touche!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 17:55, fortasse wrote:
Bill :

How did they get that copper on the Original Monti's to look so gorgeous and to remain tarnish-free all through the years. Amazing, isn't it? I don't think I've seen another set of copper cups with a more attractive hue. Reminds me of the colour of an Irish Setter, only more luminous. (The mini/mid Morrissey cups are this way too).

Fortasse

That was the special Magi-Poxy finish. Lots of polishing and then a special process of application. The finish probably can't be used any more because of the EPA. Old P&L cups had a similar finish, but not as durable.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4063 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Bill, what was on your head (in your avatar) before the Sherwood cup? It has been so long I cannot remember.

Was it a pointed hat?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, it was a pointed hat.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Monti Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL