The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Mental Photography Deck (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Hello,

I never use my Mental Photo Deck because the cards don't "stick together", if you know what I mean. I can't say anything more because of exposure, but I think you will know what I mean. How do I solve that? Buy some powder or spray of some sort?

Thanks,
Sander
haroldross
View Profile
New user
Walthill, Nebraska
30 Posts

Profile of haroldross
Here is what I use, Krylon brand "Matte Finish". You can also use Testor's "Dull Cote." or Rough King's Roughing Spray.
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Mental Photography deck is a great trick. I had a guy show me a routine where he started it as a regular deck and ended with it invisible. It was different spin.
Hope you get yours fixed and have fun with it. Also, Bill Malone has a nice routine on his "On the Loose" DVD set. You should check it out.

Cheers

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
cvwtzhaar
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of cvwtzhaar
All you need is some roughing fluid, I use "Rough King." You should be able to find it at most magic shops... Smile
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2009-07-21 19:11, TC Ryder wrote:
Mental Photography deck is a great trick. I had a guy show me a routine where he started it as a regular deck and ended with it invisible. It was different spin.
Hope you get yours fixed and have fun with it. Also, Bill Malone has a nice routine on his "On the Loose" DVD set. You should check it out.

Cheers

TC

I often perform Mental Photography in reverse. I start with a card being selected. The card is shown front and back. The face of the card then vanishes. Then the back of the card vanishes. Then the entire deck turns blank on both sides. The effect (entitled "Without a Trace") is included as a bonus effect in my recent book Sticky Situations. It's also included as a bonus with the individual effect, "Fading Memories" which is a packet trick in which the faces of the cards vanish one at a time and finally are shown to all be blank on both sides.

More information here: http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob/SS/SS00a_TOC.htm
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Actually your routine is very similar to one put out by the Japanese magic company "Tricks" in the early 1980s. I bought a deck that came with this routine (and it turned out to be what I later knew to be a Mental Photography Deck).

I have always found this 'reverse' method of using this deck much more logical and effective for laymen.
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Also note that there is still a knack to handling a mental photo deck depending on how dry or moist your hands are, here dry hands are an asset.

Gil Scott
david blown
View Profile
New user
I'm palming all my posts except
71 Posts

Profile of david blown
I would always chose a regular deck. MPD is in my personal opinion too much gaffed and a one-timer. If gaffed, I prefer a short card in my regular deck or a double backer Smile anyway, since this thread is on the MPD, I don't want to give negative vibrations Smile only for me, I bought it years ago when I started with card magic, and used it only a very few times...
david blown
View Profile
New user
I'm palming all my posts except
71 Posts

Profile of david blown
Should not have posted this here sorry Smile
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
You wrote: I never use my Mental Photo Deck because the cards don't "stick together"

My questions are: Did the cards "stick together" when you first bought them and then stopped sticking together after a long time, or did they never stick together even when they were new? What make of cards are they? Bicycle or Fox Lake?

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Kelvin Ng
View Profile
New user
Vancouver BC
68 Posts

Profile of Kelvin Ng
MPD is great! It's a trick deck, but it can be presented as it's own unique routine
"We tend to think that magic is all about us, what we do, and how we execute the tricks, when in actuality, it's really about what the spectator witnesses, imagines, and remembers in their minds."

- Wayne Houchin
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I remember seeing the Mental Photography deck done on TV, I think by Don Alan on "Magic Ranch." When I worked as a demonstrator at various magic shops, this deck was pretty much a trick that sold itself. You should be able to make a simple finger fan with the deck set to be shown blank on both sides, and the casualness of the fan is a true convincer. (No one ever noticed that the fan consisted of only 26 cards.)

Rick Johnsson's routine "Flim Flam Flum" was a classic that starts with the deck looking "normal" and ends with the cards suddenly turning blank. I think he explained the routine in his lecture notes and perhaps in his Linking Ring Parade or close-up column as well.

Now and then I do a pseudo Mental Photography routine with a blank back deck. The routine ends with the deck having faces and an all-white back. I explained that some gamblers prefer a deck with all white backs because there's no way to mark a deck with all white backs. At least, that's what people think. Then I did a trick where it seemed like I _could_ read the backs.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I as well enjoy the Mental Photography Deck, and have used it in many different situations. It lends itself to a great Gospel Presentation, or several motivational presentations.

RevJohn
gphrenol
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gphrenol
I agree with Rev John. The deck is one that is so easy to develop strong messages that fit any situation. Great routines using it.
Zendor
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Zendor
I rate this as one of the best. Generally use it to close at a table.
G.
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of G.
One of the best gimmicked deck ever!!
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
The best thing about the Mental Photography Deck is that once you know it you can perform it like jazz, mixing and matching effects along the way.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
The mental ph. deck is very clever, but it's not a thing I like to do myself. One have to use the whole deck, I am more of a single card person. For me it's too much, but I like watching people doing tricks with it.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Does Bill Malone us a gaffed deck or ungaffed?
Which On The Loose is it on?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2012-06-01 19:28, Michael238 wrote:
Does Bill Malone us a gaffed deck or ungaffed?
Which On The Loose is it on?

It's on Volume 3, called "Direct from the Factory". It uses the standard gaffed deck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Mental Photography Deck (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL