The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it too soon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Did a show the other day, added an impersonation of Billy Mays telling people about the inside of his coffin....went over well with the guys, the gals though were another story. What do you think? Gee, you would think I hired a Manson impersonator for Roman Polanski's birthday party.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2009-07-19 03:29, MagicSanta wrote:
What do you think? Gee, you would think I hired a Manson impersonator for Roman Polanski's birthday party.

Now that's funny!

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Personally I think it's never too soon - in fact, the sooner the better, though I no longer do such jokes onstage myself.

Contrary to my real personality, onstage I try never to offend anyone or talk about anything contentious, so last night I got a real shock when I made a couple of what I thought were mildly disparaging references to the late, and now sainted, King of Pop, and saw disapproving stares all over the audience. I just quickly moved on and it was soon forgotten and I was glad I resisted the momentary temptation to reference this strange delerium that has infected the world.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Santa you are a gem.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Personally, I think it is too soon. However that is my opinion, and your audience obviously did not agree with me. When on stage go with what ever works for you.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
That's a very funny idea Santa. I'd have done it if I'd thought of it.

It reminds me of when Larry LaPrise who wrote the "Hokey Pokey" died. I commented (as I'm sure many others did) that the funeral home had a hard time getting him in the coffin. They put his right foot in, he put his right foot out.... Anyway, same reaction as you had.

You can maybe soften the disapprovers by starting with praise or affection for the deceased. "I'm really going to miss Billy Mays." <applause and mild laughter.> "The guy had to be the ultimate salesman, the embodiment of American free enterprise." And then give the gag.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
Did a show the other day, added an impersonation of Billy Mays telling people about the inside of his coffin....went over well with the guys, the gals though were another story. What do you think? Gee, you would think I hired a Manson impersonator for Roman Polanski's birthday party.

"BUT WAIT!! THERE'S MORE!!"
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Never to soon. It is what it is. that's why its called comedy. You ever see people leave a comedy club upset? It boggles my mind. Its comedy how can you be upset especially at a comedy club?
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Yes, I think it is too soon. You are not making fun of the person or just impersonating him, you are making fun of the fact that he is dead.

That is just not cool.
-Matt
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
By the time it's not too soon, it's not funny anymore.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well, if Matthew is against it I am certain I made the right choice.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:

For me it depends on the status you impart to the deceased. You made him into a positive figure, that he was able to keep doing what he loved, so I'd be OK with it.

Curt
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm surprised, in this day and age, that no one has yet licensed his image and likeness to hawk products.

"When you're at eternal rest, nothing beats a sleepezee mattress."

"When you've died for a beer, it's gotta be a Bud."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
For once Santa and I agree, it is a joke people, get over it. PC will be the death of humor.

NUMS
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Don't confuse politeness and political correctness. Some jokes are always in bad taste, and some are only politically uncomfortable.

Very few people are convinced by someone who is crass and defends himself with "I refuse to be PC".

John
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The braying voice, the tacky and worthless products, giving you the feeling that the only escape is on PBS, a symbol of tastelessness, and it's ("Oh, how COULD you?") too soon to dance on his grave?

I'll be laughing at Billy Mays jokes until that grinning idiot hawking "male enhancement" croaks.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2009-07-19 22:47, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Don't confuse politeness and political correctness. Some jokes are always in bad taste, and some are only politically uncomfortable.

Very few people are convinced by someone who is crass and defends himself with "I refuse to be PC".

John

I could not agree more with John's comment. Since I can not know the sensitivities or "dark closets" of the people in my audience, I try to err on the side of conservatism.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-07-19 22:47, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

John

Great observation, IMHO.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
On the other hand, crassness and in-your-face humor works for those with the personality to pull it off. Prime examples: Jack Black, Sacha Baron Cohen, Roy Chubby Brown, Bob Saget, Red Foxx, Dave Chappelle and pretty much the entire Saturday Night Live and MAD-TV casts - just to name a few. We must accept that humor is a personal and very subjective concept. Laugh and let laugh.

I respect Billy Mays for his accomplishments and his grasp of up-front marketing. It is this very style and fame that places him squarely on the bullseye for in-your-face comedians. It's topical. It's recognizable. It has the potential to garner huge laughs. If this style fits your personality (and I'll wager Santa tops that list) why wait for everyone else to present the best bits? Screw the PC whiners.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-07-20 12:18, Skip Way wrote:
On the other hand, crassness and in-your-face humor works for those with the personality to pull it off. Prime examples: Jack Black, Sacha Baron Cohen, Roy Chubby Brown, Bob Saget, Red Foxx, Dave Chappelle and pretty much the entire Saturday Night Live and MAD-TV casts - just to name a few.

I agree. These people don't care if they offend people. Santa wouldn't have asked the question if he was one of them.

(Sorry Santa, I hope this isn't slanderous Smile )

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is it too soon? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL