The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My cups and balls routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Hi, Guys

How you doin ?

After trials and errors... this is the first version of my CnB routine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0gEwfpxnY

Enjoy. Comments are welcome

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Good job Anre, I think your patter need to be smoother, some times it looks like you don't remember what is next.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Good start. I agree with Walid. A few other things:

When you fist pick up the stack, the display is too long, static and odd. Either wait a bit longer before picking up the stack, or loosen up and gesture with the stack.

When you place the small balls under the cups the first time, your hands obscure all the actions. It seems too protective, and suspicious. I'd like to see the ball in your hand before it gets placed under the cup.

When you explained the fake transfer, you had never previously transfered a ball from hand to hand, real or false.

When you place the first ball in your pocket, don't display your returning hand as empty. Just gesture with it and let the audience see it on their own.

When you final load the audience left cup, all of your attention is focused on the space where the sneaky stuff is going on.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Andre,

I thought overall you did a wonderful job. Thank you for coming up with your own routine and sharing it with us.

How long did it take you to come up with the whole routine, patter and all?
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

I agree with Kent as well, I picked on his routine just as much.

One last thing:
When you show a ball has vanished off the table, look at where it should have been. Forget about the cup. Let your arm fall naturally out of the line of sight. Showing the saddle of the cup proves nothing and makes me want to see inside it. The ball vanished from the table, that is the important part. Get the extra stuff out of the picture.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
magicorik
View Profile
Loyal user
Italia
201 Posts

Profile of magicorik
Well done!
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Great job with the final loads Andre, thank you for sharing this with us.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Hi Andre -

I really liked the opening sequence with the magical appearance of the balls on top of the cups. Very nice!

I have to agree with JtS concerning the "explanation" of the false transfer... No reason to run if you aren't being chased.

Good use of time misdirection before revealing the final loads.

Thanks so much for sharing your routine with us. I will be looking forward to future iterations.

Best always,

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I would not do the false transfer explanation... adds nothing and make's them think. I had a hard time seeing the red ball on the black mat. Maybe white balls would show better.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Guys, thank you for the inputs and nice words

I really appreciate it

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Andre,

I never write any reviews on these things because everyone says the same few things anyhow but something I didn't see commented on that I really thought was cool was your presence. Not the patter or the routine, as everyone else has commented on that. But I really was drawn to what you had to say, even though a bit slow to get to the point. Total Kudos for that! Too often you see someone doing a cup routine or any magic routine for that matter and they just don't seem in it and that makes it boring to watch. Not this one. Keep it up, buddy!

p.s.
Was that drug humor at the end with the mushroom? Because if it is, you should totally keep it.
Eddie Ivan Torres
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Eddie... thanks for nice words

hmm about the mushroom, I wasn't sure myself if it's drug humor or not.
I just use the line because my load was the mushroom Smile

Cheers
Andre
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Andre

Really nice routine. I think you are definitely off to a great start. If you take the time to re-read the above suggestions, you will notice one thing - they are all suggestions to simply help you FINE TUNE your existing routine. In other words, there isn't anything MAJOR that requires your routine to be completely reworked in any way.

I point this out because, in many cases, magicians can become a little "depressed" after hearing constructive criticism about their routine. Some performers even go so far as to think they've done such a terrible job that they throw the trick into the closet, never to perform it again. That is NOT THE CASE with your routine.

All you need to do now is incorporate the above suggestions to make your routine a little stronger. Then, perform it every chance you get. The more you perform it, the smoother it's going to be and the more confident you will become with it. I look forward to seeing how your Cups and Balls progress over the next little with. Hopefully, you can provide us with periodic video updates.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Great point Kent. As Andre's harshest critic I agree completely.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
831 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2009-07-19 13:37, walid ahumada wrote:
Good job Anre, I think your patter need to be smoother, some times it looks like you don't remember what is next.

I think that's because English is not Andre's 1st language. I'm sure he would overcome this if he was performing in Bahasa Indonesia. Smile
Anyway, good job, I enjoyed your performance Andre.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I was going to mention the language aspect an suggest to speak in your native tongue... even tho' most of us won't understand the words, the timing and pacing will be evident... which is the most important.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Thanks guys....

Hmm about the language. I did slow patter on the clip on purpose... Perhaps I will try quicker phase to see the difference...

After I read your comments and watched the video again, I've found few parts that I need to change next time

Thanks for all your help... more comments are welcome...

Cheers
Andre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My cups and balls routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL