The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Owner defending me.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
So Saturday night, I had something really funny happen. I was working at a table of 12. Actually, teenagers at one end, parents at the other. The teens had seen me at another table and were excited when I approached. I did a few tricks and they were laughing and clapping. Dinner arrived before I could get to the adult end. I went down just to say hello and was tipped very nicely. I promised to return after dinner and do something for the adults. A few minutes later the owner tells me that a neighboring table asked her "Who's the fat guy who's getting those kids all riled up? I thought we were coming to a nice quiet restaurant and I don't like all this noise. What are you gonna do about it?" She explained that I am the restaurant's entertainment and that I've worked there for years. She can't control other people laughing. If he would like, they would move his family to another table in the back. He refused. So of course I didn't go anywhere near that table. I did go back to the first table and told them I'd return in a bit. Eventually, I did go back and do 2 more for the adults. One of which, Remember and Forget ALWAYS illicits screams. When they went nuts, I looked over at Mr. Poopy Pants and he was livid. They sat there for almost 3 hours and when he finally left, the server showed me the note he left on the table. He complained about the prices, service, noise, atmosphere...just about anything he could. On a check for $85, he left $5. The owner and all the servers agreed, he was a first class A-Hole.

It just felt so good to be defended like that.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
It's nice to have the owner go to bat for you. Once in a while, I'll get some religious nut out here in the heart of the Bible Belt complain that "magic" is being performed and that I'm "corrupting" the innocent people of the restaurant.

The owner tells them that don't have to watch the show if they don't want to and if it would make them more comfortable, they are more then welcome to leave and come back at a time when I'm not there.

Always nice when your boss has your back!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I dislike it when people have that type of attitude. The only thing I say to myself to get over it is "It's life."
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
226 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
I can relate to that one, Chris. It even happens in Los Angeles from time to time.
Amazes me every time.
Joe Skilton
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I didn't tell you that with him were his wife and young daugher, who looked about 9 or 10. I wanted to tell the guy that these kids were having fun. Sorry, you're probably not used to hearing children laugh in your house Captain Buzzkill.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Good to be loved aye DP!

Cheers,

MMc
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Not to "derail" Pepka's thread (and to be a little off topic), yesterday, a little league baseball team came into the restaurant. About 20 or so kids and all their Dads. I approached and asked if I could show them magic, and the coach said:

"they just got their As$ handed to them and lost...they don't get to see any magic. They don't deserve to be rewarded!"

What a great message to sell to those kids. Some people need to be beaten!!!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 01:01, Joe S. wrote:
I can relate to that one, Chris. It even happens in Los Angeles from time to time.
Amazes me every time.

It confuses me that everyone says this happens to them all the time (Someone objecting to magic as being evil.) but it's never happened to me. I've performed in Indiana, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Alabama and I've NEVER had this happen. Yet I frequently perform mentalism, which most people agree is more "spooky" than sponge bunnies. (But I love those sponge bunnies too!)

*jeep!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

It never happened to me either until I moved to Dallas back in 1998. Go figure!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Yep, sponge balls and card tricks are evil. Right up there with caffeine, cable TV, rock music and Microsoft. Some people are just still stuck in the 1600s.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3729 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
In one of my restaurants, a lady (usually comes in with a friend who also has a child) who is usually a patron for kid's night (kids eat free), doesn't want me to make her child a balloon (I do not work for or hawk tips) because "she still has the last one you made her". Keep in mind that I only visit this particular restaurant once a month. Basically wants the kid to sit still, don't make any noise, don't have any fun and leave mom alone while she chats it up with her friend. Wonderful parenting.

Steve
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 03:07, pepka wrote:
Yep, sponge balls and card tricks are evil. Right up there with caffeine, cable TV, rock music and Microsoft. Some people are just still stuck in the 1600s.

Amazing...they had cable tv, rock music and microsoft in the 1600's Smile!

Mike
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
The only time I have had a person object/complain about me performing magic was in a waiting room of a Jiffy Lube while my car was being serviced. I was sitting in a corner passing the time with my child (about 6-years old at the time) by performing a series of coin vanishes while tried to guess which hand it was in. A woman from across the room told me and two or three others waiting that it was horrible for me to be showing and teaching my child magic which was clearly devil's work. It took me 2 or 3 seconds to realize she was serious and not yanking my chain. I looked strait at this woman and said, "Lady, you don't have anything to worry about since I locked all the sacrifical knives in the trunk of car out there, and furthermore if I ever need your opinion again you can wait for me to ask for it."

Some people amaze me!

Because of the chuckles from everyone in ear shot, she decided to wait outside for her car to be finished up.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

I have a wrap on the back of my car...it looks like my business card. It has the photo that I use for my Café' Avatar on the right and The Magic of Christopher Lyle along with my website on the left.

I was coming out of Wal-Mart one time and there was some guy writing a note while standing next to my car. I quickened my pace as I thought maybe he hit my vehicle and was leaving me a note with insurance info on it.

I got to my car and asked if I could help this person, to which they responded, "I see you're a Magician. My name is (whatever) and I'm the decan of the (whatever) church and I wanted to ask you why I choose devil worship as my chosen line of work?" I was stunned!!! I didn't even know what to say to that. He gave me his card and said "that he wanted me to stop buy his church so his congregation could pray for my soul."

I wasn't about to argue with the guy nor get into a debate in a parking lot so I just chased him off.

The end result...

I sent an my entire press kit to the chruch with attention put to him. I wish I could have been there when he opened it up....

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 18:04, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I have a wrap on the back of my car...it looks like my business card. It has the photo that I use for my Café' Avatar on the right and The Magic of Christopher Lyle along with my website on the left.

I was coming out of Wal-Mart one time and there was some guy writing a note while standing next to my car. I quickened my pace as I thought maybe he hit my vehicle and was leaving me a note with insurance info on it.

I got to my car and asked if I could help this person, to which they responded, "I see you're a Magician. My name is (whatever) and I'm the decan of the (whatever) church and I wanted to ask you why I choose devil worship as my chosen line of work?" I was stunned!!! I didn't even know what to say to that. He gave me his card and said "that he wanted me to stop buy his church so his congregation could pray for my soul."

I wasn't about to argue with the guy nor get into a debate in a parking lot so I just chased him off.

The end result...

I sent an my entire press kit to the chruch with attention put to him. I wish I could have been there when he opened it up....

Christopher

As much as I hope to one day, I don't work restaurants....but I love hearing these stories!

And Chris.....that was hilarious! Smile

Josh
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 16:57, mike gallo wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 03:07, pepka wrote:

Amazing...they had cable tv, rock music and microsoft in the 1600's Smile!
Mike

OK smartguy. I merely meant anything that their tiny brains can't comprehend. Like your "Old-Faithful" HA!
jmccormack4
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jmccormack4
What trick is remember and forget?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 01:26, Christopher Lyle wrote:
"They don't deserve to be rewarded!"

So why'd they take the kids out for lunch?

Is the restaurant's food so bad it's punishment?

;)
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Chris,
my very first restaraunt gig, my very first table, I made my aproach, I was told no, No big deal on to the next table. Later that night a lady came up to me nad said she feels like she had to explain herself, "magic is a tool of the devil, I don't want to witness anything associated with demons"

several years later I was street performing I had a big crowd, Half of the crowd was from a church group. they stayed for the whole show. Just as I started my hatpitch at the end, half of the group just split(the church half). I find it funny that the poeple that preach about being loving and giving, was pretty quick to show how selfish and hipocritical they are.

only in america, I just sit and laugh now though
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I have not had anyone go the evil route before but I was waved off of one table and the mom looked like she swallowed a fly. She looked afraid. Whatever, to each there own. Living here in Louisiana just north of New Orleans the idea of evil and magic is not that big of a deal. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Owner defending me.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL