The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Owner defending me.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Remember and Forget is a card trick by Hofzinser. It's one of those few that really goes beyond "card trick", it's a miracle. I reserve it for special occasions, as there really isn't much that can top it. The handling I use is by Gary Kurtz and a few ideas by Michael Vincent.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1073 Posts

Profile of Nash
Oh that's cool.
one time 4 rowdy teenagers came in and completely freaked out, I mean running around the restaurant screaming freak out...

yeah I got a lot of complains from other diners and the owner told me to control the crowd.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

NashFung.com/virtual-magic-show
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I've had many bizarre / funny / weird reactions fromreligious people on many places. Restaurants, streets, corporate gigs, for example.

Once I was on the bus stop with a friend of mine, heading back home from a stroling gig and did a Hummingbird Card, just out of the blue. He was floored, but there was a church right behind us. One preacher or whatever came to me and started trying to drag me there forcefully saying that I was "posessed" or something, and that I needed to be "purified".

I said "Alright, sorry. I think I'm okay now and..." I had no doubt on pulling out my Le Torch, which happened to be handy at the moment.

The look on his face was just priceless. He learned a great lesson that day on personal space.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
A buddy of mine is a youth pastor at a local church and has hired me to do walk around and vanish and reproduce him on stage at an upcoming event. During our meeting he said to me that the words "magic" and "magician" are sometimes frowned upon by the older church members and asked if it would be ok to refer to me as an illusionist in their advertising. I told him he could call me anything he wants but please don't call me a clown.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
"Clown" is not an offense.

I, sincere and personally, don't approve Magic being used for religious purposes. Just my personal opinion, though.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Back when I was living in Virginia, I NEVER had an issue with this. Only when I moved out here to Dallas. Dallas is in the heart of the Baptist Bible Belt. Dallas also is 50+ percent Hispanic. Two things that when mixed together can make Magic a very scary thing.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
895 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
I remember as a kid naivly walking into a bookshop (turned out it was a Christian bookshop!)and asking if they had any books on magic,the lady was visibly stressed and told me rather angrily that "they didn't sell those types of books" and that it would be best if "I kept away from that type of activity" I was amazed and mumbled something about learning a few card tricks cant be that bad?!
That has certainly stuck in my mind even though it was about 20 years ago!
The extremes some people take things to eh Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I love hearing these stories, I have had a few experiences myself of being accused of being in league with the devil or of actually being a demon Smile

I see it as a compliment if they think what I do is real.

Mike
coincard
View Profile
New user
Paducah, Kentucky
54 Posts

Profile of coincard
I haven't had any "bible belt" experiences. However, once when I working a table at the restaurant that hires me a lady started smarting off just being a jerk. It wasn't any thing that I couldn't handle. But before I had a chance to manage the situation properly the owner of the restuaraut stood up from a table close by and said:

"HEY, this is our house magician mam, if you don't respect him your *ss will be gone. do you understand?"

imagine my amazement. I didn't even know she was near by. Needless to say, I really dig the owners.
Todd Duff

ToddDuff.com
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 16:57, mike gallo wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 03:07, pepka wrote:
Yep, sponge balls and card tricks are evil. Right up there with caffeine, cable TV, rock music and Microsoft. Some people are just still stuck in the 1600s.

Amazing...they had cable tv, rock music and microsoft in the 1600's Smile!

Mike

now that is funny. lol
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 19:29, pepka wrote:
OK smartguy. I merely meant anything that their tiny brains can't comprehend. Like your "Old-Faithful" HA!

Hey...as I recall...you're the one who named it Smile!!!

Mike A.K.A. a smart guy!!!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5732 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 01:26, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Not to "derail" Pepka's thread (and to be a little off topic), yesterday, a little league baseball team came into the restaurant. About 20 or so kids and all their Dads. I approached and asked if I could show them magic, and the coach said:

"they just got their As$ handed to them and lost...they don't get to see any magic. They don't deserve to be rewarded!"

What a great message to sell to those kids. Some people need to be beaten!!!

I swear, I see much more sportsmanship in the UFC than in Little League. It's no wonder that I grew up hating sports. Some jerks act as if their life is over if their team doesn't win. But, I like to watch blood sports. There's nothing quite like kicking back with a couple of beers and watching the fights.

As for the religious fanatics, I really should have something macabre quick trick, just for them. Smile I hate it when people believe stupid s***. Why can't they just stay on the cult's compound, when they're intolerant of the real world?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-07-21 17:43, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 01:26, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Not to "derail" Pepka's thread (and to be a little off topic), yesterday, a little league baseball team came into the restaurant. About 20 or so kids and all their Dads. I approached and asked if I could show them magic, and the coach said:

"they just got their As$ handed to them and lost...they don't get to see any magic. They don't deserve to be rewarded!"

What a great message to sell to those kids. Some people need to be beaten!!!

I swear, I see much more sportsmanship in the UFC than in Little League. It's no wonder that I grew up hating sports. Some jerks act as if their life is over if their team doesn't win. But, I like to watch blood sports. There's nothing quite like kicking back with a couple of beers and watching the fights.

Subtle Alan...but I like your style! = )
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Burger warned about approaching a sports team, without knowing if they've won or lost.
I was fired from my job as after hours bar manager at a Roset O'Gradys because a customer, who had never been in before, called the head office and complained that I was handing out Satanic literature (two card montie advertising cards). The manager did not stand up for me.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1073 Posts

Profile of Nash
Quote:
On 2009-07-21 19:02, ringmaster wrote:
Burger warned about approaching a sports team, without knowing if they've won or lost.
I was fired from my job as after hours bar manager at a Roset O'Gradys because a customer, who had never been in before, called the head office and complained that I was handing out Satanic literature (two card montie advertising cards). The manager did not stand up for me.

Don't feel too bad. Maybe they just needed to cut cost and that crazy customer gave them the perfect opportunity?

I've had that happened to me on my first ever restaurant gig. The restaurant was owned by 3 people. 2 owners see me every Sunday and the last one was never there. I did a trick where the audience "sneezes" out a coin into my waiting cup. The wife complained that I touched her husband's nose. That mysterious owner grabbed me the next week and said one complain is one too many (first complain after working there for a year and a half), instead of paying my rate, he offers to pay me 10 dollars an hour for 8 hours and I get an employee discount on meals.

I laughed out loud and left on the spot.

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Not sure if I would have done that Nash...

I think for me, since I had the other 2 Owners in my pocket, I would have spoken to them about it first.

I would have called the restaurant the following day and spoken to the other 2 GMs and told them what happened and that I will not work for $10 per hour with a free meal. If the other 2 guys liked you that much, then (IMO) it would have been possible to save the gig. Since there were 3 owners, if 2 of them vote YES and the 3rd votes NO then, oh well. Sucks to be that 3rd owner...

However, if the other 2 would have agreed, then I too would have part ways.

My 2 cents...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8641 Posts

Profile of funsway
I was in a long line at Target behind three mothers with five kids in strollers screaming, throwing things and generaly disrupting everyone. The mom's were chtting about the advantages of Christian home schooling to teach 'proper values'. The clerk was making mistakes with all the racket and sveral people set down their goods and left. I said, "Perhaps I can help," walked over and touched each child while smiling and chuckling softly. They call calmed down and watched me silently while we rpoceeded through the line. One mom asked, "how did you do that?" I said, "I am a magician, and we love all children."

Magic? No - but the confidence and presence learned for doing magic allowed me to act while others just stood about. I knew I could stop their crying and did. Maybe that is evil.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I've never had anyone openly reject me based on religion, though I am often cautious with card tricks as I HAVE ran into people who draw the line at playing cards as gambling is un holy or what ever.

I often just ask the kids if they play go fish. Even if there is an objection to cards, how can you keep it after something as innocent as go fish?

Any who, closest I have had was having a waiter come over to me and point to a table saying they specifically asked for me to NOT come over.

Very odd.

I can understand if you are out for something serious and what not, and probably don't bother to think I might have the perception to notice this and thus not interrupt, as there are plenty of people who would be this oblivious (not specifically magicians, but people in general) or I might just not notice. This happens too.

BUT, what would have been wrong with just saying no themselves? They have to send someone to speak for them? I almost feel worse for the waiter being used as a messenger.

ON a more positive experience, I actually had one guy walk up to me as he was leaving and say 'I told my girls they probably would not want the magician to come by as he'd be cheesy and corny, but thank you, you proved me wrong.' This was nice as not only a compliment, but to see someone change their opinion like that.

There's nothing I hate more than prejudice. Seriously, when it's about something so insignificant as magic, it ****es me off even more, and just shows how pretentious some people are.

Not that I view that guy as such, his "view" of magic was much milder than the religious ones that I am speaking of more so. Heck, he may have liked magic just fine, but just assumed someone working in a restaurant, entertaining that he did not have to pay for, must not be very good.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1073 Posts

Profile of Nash
Yeah Lyle ... I probably should have.
But in retrospect it wasn't a bad thing. I wasn't happy with how far I have the drive and the rate they were giving me.

oh well, you live, you fall, you learn.

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-07-24 00:15, gdw wrote:

There's nothing I hate more than prejudice. Seriously, when it's about something so insignificant as magic, it ****es me off even more, and just shows how pretentious some people are.

Not that I view that guy as such, his "view" of magic was much milder than the religious ones that I am speaking of more so. Heck, he may have liked magic just fine, but just assumed someone working in a restaurant, entertaining that he did not have to pay for, must not be very good.

I TOTALLY AGREE with you on this! Perception is one hard thing to crack thru. If anyone has ever read the Fitzke (sp?) books, then you'll know that (according to him) that Magicians are down on the Entertainment food chain. Many people associate Magic with being a Clown, or Magic is beneath them b/c they're an adult, etc. Many don't realize just how far we've come as a culture and that what "many" of us offer is quite sophisticated in nature.

They're loss...but I too get quite PO'd with it!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Owner defending me.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL